Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Do you speak the lingo?

Do you speak the lingo?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you speak the lingo?

Originally Posted by fionamw

Andaluz is actually quite similar to Arga., though I know Castilliano is not just a different pronunciation from, for example, Argentine Spanish, words - more than you'd think - vary too. On moving to Spain I confidently asked a waiter for some manteca (butter in Argentina) only to find great confusion/hilarity was the response because in Spain it's lard. Butter is mantequilla. The Spanish tend, in my opinion, to ignore the niceties like please & thankyou on a grand scale. That would never be done in Arga, least not when I was last there. Pollo - well did you ever find out why?!!! I suspect you mispronounced the ending somewhat!!
when I tried to learn cantonese my chinese mate told me "there is one word(mm goi) that means please, thank you and excuse me. But this Hong Kong...you need to learn that!"
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

want2b_in_Manila is an unknown quantity at this point

tagalog is quite easy
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this is the same reason as mine.... it's just that my mother, bilingual in Spanish having been born & brought up in Argentina, didn't speak more than a few words to me in Spanish when I was a child hence although my pronunciation is reasonable, some kind Spaniards say good, I've had to learn what little I do speak as an adult. If it had been used conversationally at home I'm sure my situation would be quite different. I'm hoping to find a Spanish babysitter for our 6 year old for just this reason. The more language washing round you when you're as young as possible, the better.

ps fascinating stuff, everyone.....I (predictably) didn't know a sausage about all the languages, dialects, etc., you're all mentioning. Thanks
no she didnt learn her own language (Kazakh) because it wasn't encouraged back then and she went to a Russian language school.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:52 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in HK and went to a RC Chinese nursery (oh, talk about strict!) they were supposed to speak English but that stopped once my folks had gone then it was Cantonese. Most of my friends were Chinese and I did not know at the time that people spoke other languages as I could understand everyone! Sadly, we left when I was about 8 and I have lost it all now.

My advice to anyone with kids in far off parts is to get them lessons in a local language - they reckon if you speak it up to the age of 16 that you never lose the ability to pick it up again.

Cooler
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've met many Cantonese speakers who are very worried about their language long term, feeling (and not entirely unjustified) that Mandarin will eventually be pushed upon them by Beijing, either by formal edict or just by encroaching everyday use. Under the terms of the handover, Cantonese is protected as an official dialect (or something like that) but who knows in a few generations what will be the case. I know several folks in mainland China who feel 'we had to drop our accents / dialects and speak Mandarin, the Cantonese speakers should do so as well'. It gets to be a bit of a flame war on some message boards.

My general advice is to learn Mandarin, unless you are looking at a full time permanent relocation to Hong Kong or the surrounding areas in which case Cantonese would be good to pick up. If you are going part time to HK you really only need to speak English plus know how to say the name of your building in Cantonese to tell the cabbie how to get home. Some swear words are fun but you'll usually mispronounce them and get funny stares from people.

Written Chinese is helpful, sometimes, in Japan. For example there were some things on a dinner menu that we could figure out, like 'Pork' or 'Beef' etc. That it was pork brains was something we kind of missed.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

You are right - written Chinese can be helpful in Japan. The problem you'll run into with Japanese is that it uses 3 different alphabets. One of those alphabets is Kanji, which is based on Chinese characters. But in between the Kanji are Hiragana and Katakana which can sometimes add those important details (like brains to pork, LOL!). And you really need to know all 3 alphabets to truly understand what is being said/written. Lots of memorizing...
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the question of a 'world' language, would Chinese people (speaking whichever indigenous language/dialect) find it easier to learn English? Spanish?...... (Arabic?) If the answer is English, then my OH reckons this means English will ultimately become the world's most accepted/spoken language.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:52 am
Just Joined

racvian is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the question of a 'world' language, would Chinese people (speaking whichever indigenous language/dialect) find it easier to learn English? Spanish?...... (Arabic?) If the answer is English, then my OH reckons this means English will ultimately become the world's most accepted/spoken language.

I'm Chinese from Malaysia, I found it was kinda difficult for us to learn English in the beginning as our first language is not English. Anyway, you need to put on more effort to learn anything/ any language but not only English. By the way, nice to meet u guys
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I've met many Cantonese speakers who are very worried about their language long term, feeling (and not entirely unjustified) that Mandarin will eventually be pushed upon them by Beijing, either by formal edict or just by encroaching everyday use.
I can understand that, but for most speakers of Mandarin, no matter where they are, it's a second language for them, and has been for generations. There are of course people in Beijing and Taipei who speak no other dialect of Chinese, but the great mass of people speak their own language first, and then Mandarin as a second language. I think in the case of Hong Kong, they are simply pissed off about All These Mainlanders Coming to our Country Stealing our Jobs Takin' our Wimmin etc etc and there is a nose out of joint thing. If you travel to Dong Bei and Fujian and Yunnan and Shanghai and all that you'll not find the same insecurity I think. That incomprehensible gobbledegook they speak in Beijing isn't proper Mandarin either, so I would even class Beijing Hua'r as a separate dialect.

Is it still the case that in Malaysia and Singapore the kids all learn Cantonese from films and songs and rabbit away to one another in that Canto-Mando-Anglo patios they ised to when I was there about 15 years ago?

It never ceased to amaze me listening to Malaysian friends of mine switching effortlessly from Malay to English to Hokkien to Hainanese to Cantonese to Mandarin and so on. I never met a Malaysian Chinese who spoke fewer than four languages. Incredible.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by racvian
I'm Chinese from Malaysia, I found it was kinda difficult for us to learn English in the beginning as our first language is not English. Anyway, you need to put on more effort to learn anything/ any language but not only English. By the way, nice to meet u guys
You too, hi!......but do you know any Chinese who learned Spanish AND English and which did they find harder/easier to learn?

Last edited by fionamw; Dec 14th 2008 at 4:38 pm. Reason: typo!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Father Jack
Is it still the case that in Malaysia and Singapore the kids all learn Cantonese from films and songs and rabbit away to one another in that Canto-Mando-Anglo patios they ised to when I was there about 15 years ago?

Aaaaargh, Cantopop One thing I don't miss. The apartments backing onto our house in Geylang were full of Chinese students (and working girls...and working girls masquerading as students...) and Cantopop became my wake-up call. Well that and the hawking up.

Hi racvian Good to get the perspective from the other side.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Show off mode on...

I've done a long stint in China and speak Mandarin, can also read and write.
Done a few years in Guangzhou (Canton) so know a fair bit of Cantonese.
In addition to my native Polish I also speak English (obviously) and Russian.
Bits and pieces of other languages as well.

Show off mode off...

OH is Chinese so our daughter is fully bilingual (English and Chinese) goes to Saturday school to get formal Chinese lessons. In year 3 in school she will start Spanish.

These Saturday Chinese schools are in every place where there is a bit of Chinese population (I think here in Adelaide there are 3 or 4). They are sponsored by Chinese government, run a good curriculum and accept kids from non Chinese background (adults too, there are at least 3 white Ausiess studying in my daughter school with their kids).
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You're obviously very fluent as for some reason I'd assumed you were Chinese.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
You're obviously very fluent as for some reason I'd assumed you were Chinese.
I am what they call an egg.
As opposite of banana.

I lived there almost half my life so have a pretty good understanding of how the place ticks.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:29 am
Auntie Fa

Pretty useful state to be in, I would say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.