Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Do I need a degree to get a work visa for Japan or South Korea?

Do I need a degree to get a work visa for Japan or South Korea?

Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

joewest1802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need a degree to get a work visa for Japan or South Korea?

Hello to all,

Just wandering if anyone can clear up a few things for me regarding Visa requirements for the following countries.

I'm applying for English teacher jobs in Japan and South Korea.

I am over 30 (32), so it would seem that the standard working holiday visa is not open to me.

Which visa am I to apply for?

And is a degree a requirement to get said visa (like it is in China)?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a degree to get a work visa for Japan or South Korea?

The requirements for Japan can be found on these pages:
https://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_...ex_000071.html
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/...ong/index.html

The school/company that hires you needs to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility, in which they declare themselves your sponsor. Only upon receiving this document will you be able to apply for the necessary visa at a Japanese embassy. I remember from the time that I lived in Japan that having a degree was a requirement for teachers. However, what level of degree depended on the job you are targeting (e.g. teaching university students requires a different degree than teaching at a kindergarten). But I don't know for sure whether that is still the case.

Be aware that Japan has put in place new taxation rules for people who leave Japan after having lived/worked there for five years or more. This "exit tax" can eat away quite some of your savings.