Brunei

Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Funkymonkeez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brunei

Hi there,
Any information on the cost of living for a family of 6! Accommodation and education included. What kind of salary would give us a reasonable-better than the uk- kind of lifestyle. We love being outdoors and in the sea. Any advice would be brilliant.
Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brunei

Most of Brunei is next to the sea. the stuff west of the main road from north to south anyway. Anything east of that road is generally jungle.
Can't say swimming in the sea there is a popular passtime and not shewer sailing etc is top of the list but things may have changed.

You must be working for the oil industry shewerly.

Except for the Panaga Club it used to be a pretty boring place.
Can't help with cost of schooling sorry.
But generally used to be similar col to Malaysia in general, i.e. pretty cheap in comparison to UK.

Good housing available at sensible prices.

Oh and it was the first place I ever ate chicken rice which is lush.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 30th 2013 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there's a few threads on Brunei in the main section of Far East. I'll ask the Mods to shift your thread to the right section.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Funkymonkeez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Is it not safe to swim in the sea? Can you travel easily from Brunei to visit other places? Did you say it was a boring place to be? Why was that? We have 4 children so are not party animals? Thanks for info as important to make the right move.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine used to live there and she didn't find it boring. Funky, there's a few threads on Brunei already on here. Try adding on to this one, link below. The thread is still "open" and you may just get to chat with someone who is already living there. All the best.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Brunei
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Freshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really nice

Hi Funky, I am in Brunei and have been for nearly 3 years but about to go back to the UK. It has been a fantastic place to live, very low crime rate and safe for children. The lifestyle is very different but with abit of effort you can enjoy loads of activities. The sea being the South China Sea is not the cleanest which puts me off but the children can go in and swim no problem just watch out for jelly fish etc. Sailing, Horseriding, Jungle walks (hashing groups) in fact all kinds of sports. I would say alot depends on your childrens age as I know the older children do get board but for the younger ones It's a fantastic place to grow up. If you have any other questions PM me and I would be happy to answer them. One tip is alot of Brand New cars are cheaper here and second hand ones very expensive and if they are old they will more than likely be breaking down all the time so factor that in with any costs. Petrol is one of the cheapest if not the cheapest places in the world costs about $20 to go from empty to full on a mid sized car.