Reload this Page >

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:38 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Asia now unaffordable?

Originally Posted by Chris351
I rue the day I moved here and would warn off anyone who asks for opinions.
Let me guess - you live in Pattaya or Phuket ?

It's like living in one of the many red light districts in the UK and advising that the UK is a crap place to live
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris351
I went to the " 5 star" Bangkok hospital in Phuket where my hemorraging from dengue fever was misdiagnosed as cancer.

I went home, called my sister, a gynecological nurse practioner and she diagnosed me correctly right then and there over the phone.

There were some issues about stem cell treatments too.

I would surmise as with anything in Thailand, the " western" medical standards is a load of BS hype.

Allow me to warn you ; the oft touted Thai Visa forum is renowned for presenting highly edited/ censored opinions and some of the sponsors offer legal advice that isn't the best, (such as pushing those bogus 30 year + 30 year " renewal" leases on land) - but forum rules forbid criticism of sponsors .

It also partners with newspapers Phuket Gazette and The Nation and all three conspire, in my view -to provide nothing but sunny sky reports for ex- pats.

Try Teakdoor.com for different, uncensored opinions than the TV Sex- Pats endless quest for " girls" (...If you get my drift..)

I would NOT recommend relying on visa runs , rules change constantly.

You'll need to open a business, risky seeing as how you have to have give a Thai partner majority share, or-

Marry a Thai, even this seems to be complicated ( and RISKY !!)

If you have 10 million baht in a FD certificate , an Investor visa can be had ( I think, this may have been changed )

or be 50 for retirement visa.

If you, as you say- are not interested in the sex industry, I think you would do well to pick another destination.

Thailand is just tooooo....Thai. I find the people are lazy, ill educated and hate foreigners in the most two- faced way possible.
Yes they are polite but it's the kind of politeness that behooves them , like politely not telling the truth because it's too stressful- for them..

If you're relatively wealthy and can hire Thais to clean your house ,
( " other services..? ) etc, then maybe you'll see the good face, but my experience having them work in a business situation is a constant nightmare.

I rue the day I moved here and would warn off anyone who asks for opinions.
Actually not a to uncommon view held by some with a lot of experience in this country(Thailand) to which some of the points raised here i intend to go
along with. Although a number will equally disagree.
I have come across some rather sorry tales with regards to expats in Thailand and often at the centre of the problem involves a woman.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Farang9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DumbFalang

It's like living in one of the many red light districts in the UK and advising that the UK is a crap place to live
I have lived in Phuket for the last 11 years, and there is absolutely no reason to be anywhere near the sleaze, which is essentially restricted to the couple of west coast resorts, particularly Patong, which is not a place any reasonable person would like to live.
Where I live (near Wat Chalong) is convenient for the major stores, easy enough to get in and out of Phuket town, still surrounded by pleasant countryside and handy for the run up the island to the airport or off-island.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Farang9
I have lived in Phuket for the last 11 years, and there is absolutely no reason to be anywhere near the sleaze, which is essentially restricted to the couple of west coast resorts, particularly Patong, which is not a place any reasonable person would like to live.
Where I live (near Wat Chalong) is convenient for the major stores, easy enough to get in and out of Phuket town, still surrounded by pleasant countryside and handy for the run up the island to the airport or off-island.
I live on Phuket too, but would not recommend this southern area unless access to the mall and other exclusively western styled shopping is important.
Agree, Patong is not fit for human habitation.

Traffic is awful around Phuket town, Chalong, and I believe a disproportionate amount of the petty crime happens in this area as the Kathu area police are understaffed or other for other reasons do not protect the area adequately.

I suggest the central to north part of the island , much less crowded, less crime.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DumbFalang

I don't live in a red light district I live in a middle class neighborhood that was secluded but the last three years have 5 houses built , yes next to Thais and their plastic trash burning, unloading of illegal timber at 1 AM, (and 10 days of chainsaw cutting it - ) ,building on the lane between our properties, 7 AM bull horn broadcasts, piling dirt until my property floods, various poisoning of pets, etc etc.

What I really need , like everyone else is a Thai wife to protect and serve me but alas I'm female
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:19 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

If you hate it that much why do you still live there!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

expats love a good moan
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:35 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

some sad people in thailand, i feel sorry for them
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Whats happened in the last few months?
I work for one of the worlds largest companies and the amount of staff an operations that we have moved to Singapore in the last 12 months is phenomenal.

I also read that due the the GFC, people were flocking East from Dubai, London etc as Singapore is seen as a major financial hub in the future (it is now, but obviously positioned very well for India & China going forward).
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:09 am
Just Joined

alexinjapan is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I would say that with the yen the way it is at the moment, Japan is definitely out.