Is Asia now unaffordable?

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

edgeofparadise is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is Asia now unaffordable?

Originally Posted by dmax
hi there,
ok i will tell u where to go..cambodia,me and my wife are just back from there,resort town called sihanoukville on the coast with beautifull beaches,hot weather,cheap everything....u will get a good clean 1st class hotel for $20 -£ 12 per nite room service,swimming pool,mini bar,cable tv.u can get a good decent lovely bungalow for $6 a nite with air con,cable,..u can get a beer for 75 cents..bottle whiskey for $4..down there they have beach parties everynite of week untill 5am on the beach ,fire dancers dj,s,the lot..they have hundreds of international cafes ,resturaunts down there,they have girlies for $10 a pop if that is wot ur into....i have tinkered with thailand for 12 yrs now,i have a lot of money to invest but thailand is just too expensive now,average 80 baht a beer ? for gods sake thats £160 for a small bottle,i can get cheaper than that here in belfast,uk...believe me ive done thailand and i think u should put ur sites on cambodia...they have everything that thailand has and u know wot? u can stay there 10 yrs 20 yrs without a visa...so there u go mate...hope u make the rite choice and good luck....
thanks dmax. not sure if i would live longer than 18 months in a place like that, but might be worth a trip on the way to the Philippines. what is the situation with wi-fi, medical/dental care/crime/drugs/brits who read the independent and do nothing except get stoned and talk about eco-responsibility/healing/spiritualism/lonelyplanet/tattoos/piercings/facebook/anything else that i'm trying to escape from?

god i'm old.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel bad/old, edge. A much younger friend of mine went travelling before she left Asia (she'd been working in Singapore) and, at 27, moved on from Laos ahead of time as she said all the backpackers wanted to do was lie about, stoned. (Not that she's against getting stoned, but she could do that anywhere.)

kk - I've heard Hua Hin is very nice, particularly if you can afford Chiva Som. We were booked to go to HH once but, for reasons too tedious to go into, we had to cancel. I know a few from the other forum have been so you could ask about it there.

I love Lombok, but not sure how easy it would be to live there?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:46 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edgeofparadise
brits who read the independent and do nothing except get stoned and talk about eco-responsibility
that's so funny
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Was a month in Laos in 2007 and came across a number of expats living there and all loving it.
French would be the biggest group,but met Aussies and Brits also and all agreed that it was a very mellow place indeed to be.
The backpacker scene is something else and yes in Vang Vieng did notice a few smoking weed and was told that the police do crack down from time to time.
But do not think it a big issue one can stay out of the few cafes that allow it if one is so offended by it.
Laos is a beautiful country with no sex tourism or what there is remains very under cover(which to my mind is more an issue than the odd spliff)
Laos as does Cambodia allows foreigners to stay a year on a $500 business visa which allows as many trips outside the country during that time.
Hence one can cross the Friendship Bridge every weekend to shop in Thailand a very short distance,with far more Western produce available.
Same applies if in need of medical treatment.
Thailand it would appear seems undecided if it wants Farangs or not living within it's borders what with the immigration rules and recent tightening of rules for foreigners that enter the Kingdom from a neighbouring country.
When in Cambodia in 2003 met a number of expats that had relocacted from Thailand then and had a lot of complaints with regards to Thailand
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Was a month in Laos in 2007 and came across a number of expats living there and all loving it.
French would be the biggest group,but met Aussies and Brits also and all agreed that it was a very mellow place indeed to be.
The backpacker scene is something else and yes in Vang Vieng did notice a few smoking weed and was told that the police do crack down from time to time.
But do not think it a big issue one can stay out of the few cafes that allow it if one is so offended by it.
Laos is a beautiful country with no sex tourism or what there is remains very under cover(which to my mind is more an issue than the odd spliff)
Laos as does Cambodia allows foreigners to stay a year on a $500 business visa which allows as many trips outside the country during that time.
Hence one can cross the Friendship Bridge every weekend to shop in Thailand a very short distance,with far more Western produce available.
Same applies if in need of medical treatment.
Thailand it would appear seems undecided if it wants Farangs or not living within it's borders what with the immigration rules and recent tightening of rules for foreigners that enter the Kingdom from a neighbouring country.
When in Cambodia in 2003 met a number of expats that had relocacted from Thailand then and had a lot of complaints with regards to Thailand
Backpackers are what I want to avoid really. Give me a a sex-tourist, rather than a backpacker, anyday. Actually, I would prefer neither.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Backpackers are what I want to avoid really. Give me a a sex-tourist, rather than a backpacker, anyday. Actually, I would prefer neither.
Yes but in Cambodia there are a large number of shall i call them hard core sex tourists with specific interests,far removed from what one would normally consider main stream practices.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes but in Cambodia there are a large number of shall i call them hard core sex tourists with specific interests,far removed from what one would normally consider main stream practices.
I'd room with Glitter, before the lot I met in Athens.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmax
hi there,
ok i will tell u where to go..cambodia,me and my wife are just back from there,resort town called sihanoukville on the coast with beautifull beaches,hot weather,cheap everything....u will get a good clean 1st class hotel for $20 -£ 12 per nite room service,swimming pool,mini bar,cable tv.u can get a good decent lovely bungalow for $6 a nite with air con,cable,..u can get a beer for 75 cents..bottle whiskey for $4..down there they have beach parties everynite of week untill 5am on the beach ,fire dancers dj,s,the lot..they have hundreds of international cafes ,resturaunts down there,they have girlies for $10 a pop if that is wot ur into....i have tinkered with thailand for 12 yrs now,i have a lot of money to invest but thailand is just too expensive now,average 80 baht a beer ? for gods sake thats £160 for a small bottle,i can get cheaper than that here in belfast,uk...believe me ive done thailand and i think u should put ur sites on cambodia...they have everything that thailand has and u know wot? u can stay there 10 yrs 20 yrs without a visa...so there u go mate...hope u make the rite choice and good luck....
This post is nonsense. A typical one week visitor to a city... Ore maby hes the guy ho gets you going from your city to a city in a far away country! I can by experience tell you that this city sucks! They are developing the town likes there no tomorrow! They think this is the new GOA. Iv never been to Goa.. soo! Anyway, it is a very pore country and everywhere there are children begging and mind field cripples.
About the hospital thing, ther is no hospital in Siahnokville... there is a clinic, CT Clinic! Personally I staid there myself for 3 nights. What a shitty, shitty, shitty bloody place!
No food, no water, no cover over my naked body! **** Sihanookville!
I think Cambodia gets the most aid in the hole world and they treat you like a animal wen you nead help. Okay I got recovered. I payed 175 US dollars for tree days!! But hey, I was ripped. I was a customer. I was foreigner.... lets get as much we can from this sucker!

By the way, you prices are way to low. Sihanookville is expensive. Way do people say that Cambodia is cheap. Its more expensive than Thailand and Malaysia fore god naise sake!
Only Imported alcohol is cheaper. Food is awful!
If you want to stay there you pay 300 US dollar a year. Businesses visa.

**** Cambodia!

Last edited by SvampBob; Jan 14th 2009 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

I've been planning to move to Asia (probably Thailand) for a few years now and finally I am in a position to do so. Typical story, probably been raked over many times on this forum over the last few months - my pounds are worth much less than 6 months ago and I don't know what to do.

I have a private income from my business of £2000 a month to spend on all my living costs. I know that many of you are living on much less than that in Asia, but the condo overlooking the sea seems to be getting out of reach now for me, in most of Thailand. It's beginning to sound like the party is over now for the land of smiles and perhaps it is time to look elsewhere?

I am not interested in the sex industry. I just want somewhere warm, coastal, urban, safe with a good infrastructure and internet connection. What would you do with this kind of budget. I am 37 and do not want to 'find myself' on a Goa beach with drugs and travellers. I am looking to semi-retire in a reasonable amount of luxury and to do little other than eat well, read and get fit.

where should i go to get value for money?

thanks
Well don't think about coming to Oslo.
£2000 a week is just enough !
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been planning to move to Asia (probably Thailand) for a few years now and finally I am in a position to do so. Typical story, probably been raked over many times on this forum over the last few months - my pounds are worth much less than 6 months ago and I don't know what to do.

I have a private income from my business of £2000 a month to spend on all my living costs. I know that many of you are living on much less than that in Asia, but the condo overlooking the sea seems to be getting out of reach now for me, in most of Thailand. It's beginning to sound like the party is over now for the land of smiles and perhaps it is time to look elsewhere?

I am not interested in the sex industry. I just want somewhere warm, coastal, urban, safe with a good infrastructure and internet connection. What would you do with this kind of budget. I am 37 and do not want to 'find myself' on a Goa beach with drugs and travellers. I am looking to semi-retire in a reasonable amount of luxury and to do little other than eat well, read and get fit.

where should i go to get value for money?

thanks
Outside of South East Asia it is becoming more difficult to find a place that can fit requirements but one country that comes to mind is Panama,not yet been there but is definitely on my list.
Easy immigration laws..on your income there is no trouble at all to satisfy requirements'
I would suggest well worth considering....very popular with US and Canadian retirees but for some reason still not a lot of European Union nationals.
Also near by is Costa Rico,a long time favourite,perhaps gone a little of the boil in recent years??
Closer to home..if indeed home is in the United Kingdom..is Northern Cyprus (Turkish)which could also be worth checking out...and at a push Cyprus(Greek part)and Malta(Gozo)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SvampBob
This post is nonsense. A typical one week visitor to a city... Ore maby hes the guy ho gets you going from your city to a city in a far away country! I can by experience tell you that this city sucks! They are developing the town likes there no tomorrow! They think this is the new GOA. Iv never been to Goa.. soo! Anyway, it is a very pore country and everywhere there are children begging and mind field cripples.
About the hospital thing, ther is no hospital in Siahnokville... there is a clinic, CT Clinic! Personally I staid there myself for 3 nights. What a shitty, shitty, shitty bloody place!
No food, no water, no cover over my naked body! **** Sihanookville!
I think Cambodia gets the most aid in the hole world and they treat you like a animal wen you nead help. Okay I got recovered. I payed 175 US dollars for tree days!! But hey, I was ripped. I was a customer. I was foreigner.... lets get as much we can from this sucker!

By the way, you prices are way to low. Sihanookville is expensive. Way do people say that Cambodia is cheap. Its more expensive than Thailand and Malaysia fore god naise sake!
Only Imported alcohol is cheaper. Food is awful!
If you want to stay there you pay 300 US dollar a year. Businesses visa.

**** Cambodia!
Yes in these countries they want our money.Does this come as a surprise??
Cambodia is one of the worlds poorest nations and money gets things done.
We being foreigners are always going to pay more than locals that is an accepted fact but the question is how much more???
From my experience all is negotiatable.For example a policeman stops you while you are on a motor bike for some alleged infringement and demands $10 as even more in some cases due to the seriousness of what you done.Smile never loose ones temper(absolute no no)plead poverty and offer $1 one may have to go to $2 but i never heard a case where this was not accepted in all my dealing with expats in Cambodia(short term tourists usually pay up naturally enough)
Cambodia was considerably cheaper than Thailand when i was there but that was five years ago..still would be surprised if it was more than Thailand today.
Why not try Laos if you enjoy a more mellower country???
But in neither country can you expect high standard medical care.That can be found in Thailand or Singapore.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Well don't think about coming to Oslo.
£2000 a week is just enough !
Would be a tad surprised if anyone would consider a move to Oslo.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd room with Glitter, before the lot I met in Athens.
Begs the question just who exactly did you meet in Athens???
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

i'm going to try the philippines. liking the look of san fernando now. anyone been?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:06 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm going to try the philippines. liking the look of san fernando now. anyone been?
If Slowsmile is still around on this board, here's the person to ask anything about San Fernando. You could try searching on this forum and send a PM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.