Reload this Page >

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Is Asia now unaffordable?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:07 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Asia now unaffordable?

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Just some food for thought and in answer to the question Is Asia now unaffordable? I would say no it is not based on your budget.

I can only speak of Phuket but GBP 2000 will currently buy you about 100,000 baht. Of course you will always be at the mercy of exchange rates. Mr KK and I live on around 100 to 120,000 a month. We have a villa with pool and all the services to go with it, run 2 vehicles, a powerboat(!), eat/drink out approx every other day, have aircon (biggest cost but a fraction of UK power costs). Some friends of ours (2 people) live on 30,000 baht, smoke, drink, only go out twice a week, run 1 vehicle and 3 dogs(!) but no aircon. Just to give you some idea.

Be interesting to hear about monthly costs in Malaysia, Philippines or anywhere else - anyone?
100,000 THB is plenty in Thailand. You could live in the 150 Bhat guest houses in Changmai. If you go for a month, I am sure you can bargain them down to 3,000THB a month at the Bumee Guest House.

The rent will be chaper than the fluctuation of the Pound Sterling. Last year, January, the British pound bought 67 Bhat. That is 17 Bhat per pound.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:35 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have GBP income and are living abroad, things are getting a bit dodgy as the UK currency slides downwards.

I used the GBP equiv as we're on a British forum - we don't have much in the way of GBP income thank god. (Err, not that other currencies are looking too rosy )
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:04 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Umpatan
The rent will be chaper than the fluctuation of the Pound Sterling. Last year, January, the British pound bought 67 Bhat. That is 17 Bhat per pound.
Please explain what you mean. Was a pound worth 67 Bhat or worth 17 Bhat? Surely NOT the latter!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:23 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmax
hi there,
ok i will tell u where to go..cambodia,me and my wife are just back from there,resort town called sihanoukville on the coast with beautifull beaches,hot weather,cheap everything....u will get a good clean 1st class hotel for $20 -£ 12 per nite room service,swimming pool,mini bar,cable tv.u can get a good decent lovely bungalow for $6 a nite with air con,cable,..u can get a beer for 75 cents..bottle whiskey for $4..down there they have beach parties everynite of week untill 5am on the beach ,fire dancers dj,s,the lot..they have hundreds of international cafes ,resturaunts down there,they have girlies for $10 a pop if that is wot ur into....and u know wot? u can stay there 10 yrs 20 yrs without a visa...so there u go mate...hope u make the rite choice and good luck....
Surely the bit about not needing a visa is bollocks, mate?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shafanm
Today malaysia is the second most liberal and tolerant muslim country in the world.
Which one is the first?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:35 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Go on then, tell us.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Surely the bit about not needing a visa is bollocks, mate?
Yes of course it is..at least legally.Perhaps confused with the one year so called business visa renewable each year at $500 a pop from memory.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Go on then, tell us.

I am not sure I think he had Turkey in mind, but don't take my word for it
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:36 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

How faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar would $us76 per week get you all inclusive
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherpa
How faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar would $us76 per week get you all inclusive

Do you realise some ppl in UK are having to make do with that type of budget. Yesterday a guy on the BBC was saying he has to live on 400 pounds a month. Get real you rich sissy boy, not everyone is loaded like you
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:32 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Do you realise some ppl in UK are having to make do with that type of budget. Yesterday a guy on the BBC was saying he has to live on 400 pounds a month. Get real you rich sissy boy, not everyone is loaded like you

hey dreamboat im not loaded i live to a budget too

My figure was $76 bucks x 4.3 = $326 a far cry from 400 squids eh !

Are you setting the bait for the next storm

Yesterday a guy on the BBC was saying he has to live on 400 pounds a month ! Yeah right creamer on ITV at the same time a guy with a pegleg was doing cartwheels on top of nelsons column singing dixie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

hey dreamboat im not loaded i live to a budget too

My figure was $76 bucks x 4.3 = $326 a far cry from 400 squids eh !

Rich boy, 400 quid in UK doesn't even cover the rent for a room in most places. So comparatively $326 in Thailand is a lot more than 400 quid in UK. The thing is it's impossible to have an intelligible discussion with a loaded guy like you who's perhaps never moved a muscle in his life as he's inherited his belongings from his ancestors
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Rich boy, 400 quid in UK doesn't even cover the rent for a room in most places. So comparatively $326 in Thailand is a lot more than 400 quid in UK. The thing is it's impossible to have an intelligible discussion with a loaded guy like you who's perhaps never moved a muscle in his life as he's inherited his belongings from his ancestors
funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!

i havent inherited a brass razzooooooooooooooooooooo yet and touch wood it will be a long long time before i get my inheritance as i would rather have my parents around even if they are still in london

This $326 per month was what peg the leg said he lived on yet i do believe it is possible but there was more to him that meets the eye and that was the basis of my argument not his ficticious stump.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:26 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tuan Tim
To buy property in Thailand you have to use money that you import. As the baht has indeed risen to sterling, you are faced with bringing in 100,000 pounds for something that last year would have cost you sterling 80K. Even if the property market drops its prices you will no doubt still use more sterling.
My mole tells me to wait a few months.
Things might then get very, very interesting. My usual 10% please. And leave my pension alone.
Property in Thailand does not cost 100,000 British pounds. (Unless if you are buying a mansion) If you want to live in something modest, 30,000 pounds would do it.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

This $326 per month was what peg the leg said he lived on yet i do believe it is possible but there was more to him that meets the eye and that was the basis of my argument not his ficticious stump.
You just do not follow conversations - it's a waste of time.

PS- I would've hated to be your maths teacher

Last edited by TheDreamer; Mar 19th 2009 at 1:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.