Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

guvvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

Originally Posted by sign
I know what you mean, but work is something you have to do, whereas if you do not have to work in Thailand, then surely if you cannot occupy your time with things to do which you enjoy, then you really need to take a look in the mirror?

By my calculations on what has been quoted on this forum, if you have or allocate £400.00 pounds per week, so 20,000 baht aweek, you can live very well.

Not like a king, but aswell as a single middle aged gent would want to live for a few years? If after this time you become bored, you can always return home, ok a few bob worse off but you only live once?

I would rather spend say five years living on £400.00 per week in Thailand, living very well, spending say £60,000.00 of capital plus interest. I would rather do this than go out and buy a second hand £60k sports car?

If after five years it becomes tiresome well what an experience, the UK may have become a better place to live. You may have become terminally ill, you may meet someone interesting who makes your life better?

For me, its all about memories, experiences, not houses, not cars, not clothes, not drugs, not gambling. I do not smoke, i do not gamble, i do not and never will take drugs. I only drink, and like the touch of a female, not alot to ask. Do not want to be married, do not want kids, do not want a career, do not want a pension. Live for today, because tomorrow, you just do not know what is in store?

I like the sound of what of has been written...............

Sounded good to me on paper but didnt quite work for me in practice,ive got to know many expats while hanging out but many seem to have regular jobs and the others would only come out to play maybe weekends.
Got fed up of drinking beer everyday not to mention the beer belly but honestly i like to be more productive so at the moment im working on a few idea's to fill the gap but i guess you will find your own way. You will have to keep us all posted
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guvvy
Sounded good to me on paper but didnt quite work for me in practice,ive got to know many expats while hanging out but many seem to have regular jobs and the others would only come out to play maybe weekends.
Got fed up of drinking beer everyday not to mention the beer belly but honestly i like to be more productive so at the moment im working on a few idea's to fill the gap but i guess you will find your own way. You will have to keep us all posted
It does sound good on paper, some cope well without work some do not...........

I know plenty of ex colleagues who have retired and popped off their perch relatively quick, either through the stress of no work or just ill health due to less exercise or too much food and drink. So maybe work is good for you?

Me, i have rules, which should be kept to, otherwise living in excess becomes an issue to your health.

Not having to work should allow you to exercise your right to do what you want but within reason, that way it goes on for longer, the amount of people i have spoken to seem to think it would be best to buy a house, a car, a holiday home, and remain in work?

Me i can easily occupy my time, with rest and relaxation, i am lazy, i do not want to work hard for something i do not need.

But i understand what you are saying, we are all different.

Its just Asia seems to be the place where your cash will last longer if you intend to spend it all. The option of meeting lady friends your own age on a casual basis seems more appealing. I find middle aged UK women always seem to have in toe a couple of kids, an ex, and just that feeling that they will never find contentfullness or just say this is my lot i am happy........

I always find the richest person is the person who wants for least, or has never had much so does not miss much???

But you live and learn.......................
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:24 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Im looking forward to the book and then the film!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: 42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

It does sound good on paper, some cope well without work some do not...........

I know plenty of ex colleagues who have retired and popped off their perch relatively quick, either through the stress of no work or just ill health due to less exercise or too much food and drink. So maybe work is good for you?

Me, i have rules, which should be kept to, otherwise living in excess becomes an issue to your health.

Not having to work should allow you to exercise your right to do what you want but within reason, that way it goes on for longer, the amount of people i have spoken to seem to think it would be best to buy a house, a car, a holiday home, and remain in work?

Me i can easily occupy my time, with rest and relaxation, i am lazy, i do not want to work hard for something i do not need.

But i understand what you are saying, we are all different.

Its just Asia seems to be the place where your cash will last longer if you intend to spend it all. The option of meeting lady friends your own age on a casual basis seems more appealing. I find middle aged UK women always seem to have in toe a couple of kids, an ex, and just that feeling that they will never find contentfullness or just say this is my lot i am happy........

I always find the richest person is the person who wants for least, or has never had much so does not miss much???

But you live and learn.......................
Hello Sign, No one, has mentioned the City, I live in ( Built two Bungalows here.)At the age of 76, I had been courting a Mature lady ( retired), so we married, lived in the UK for a while, then came back here - UBONRATCHATHANI - bought all things English here, too. Just over an hours flight from Bangkok, got its own Airport, so easy in and out. Good roads, lots of mature ladies, needing love. be in touch- dontheturner.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: 42 year old guy looking to live in the Far East - Help?

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Sign, No one, has mentioned the City, I live in ( Built two Bungalows here.)At the age of 76, I had been courting a Mature lady ( retired), so we married, lived in the UK for a while, then came back here - UBONRATCHATHANI - bought all things English here, too. Just over an hours flight from Bangkok, got its own Airport, so easy in and out. Good roads, lots of mature ladies, needing love. be in touch- dontheturner.
Hello again , Sign, I sent you a PM ( Private message) and to access it, go to the top right of the page, and click on message, you can reply from there too. Don
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my mate are coming over to Thailand in September for fourteen nights, we will be flying into Bangkok, so will need to get from Bangkok airport on our own as we are booking flights only to Bangkok Airport.

We are looking to book some accomodation from the UK, anyone got any good experoences of any. We want a two bedroom place with aircon, a self catering type place, not that we will be cooking, but i like space.

We want to be near a nice beach, plenty of bars, takeaways, places to relax have a beer and walk back to the apartments etc.

Never been anyone got any links to any previously stayed at places for two typically looking UK men who like sun sea and beer. Not fussed about girl bars, but if they are there, i will look, but we are not coming on a sex-fest fortnight.

More a lets see where we could maybe spend a year or two chilling out.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Me and my mate are coming over to Thailand in September for fourteen nights, we will be flying into Bangkok, so will need to get from Bangkok airport on our own as we are booking flights only to Bangkok Airport.

We are looking to book some accomodation from the UK, anyone got any good experoences of any. We want a two bedroom place with aircon, a self catering type place, not that we will be cooking, but i like space.

We want to be near a nice beach, plenty of bars, takeaways, places to relax have a beer and walk back to the apartments etc.

Never been anyone got any links to any previously stayed at places for two typically looking UK men who like sun sea and beer. Not fussed about girl bars, but if they are there, i will look, but we are not coming on a sex-fest fortnight.

More a lets see where we could maybe spend a year or two chilling out.

Thanks
I have looked into flights, looks like Singapore Airlines looks good, £730.00 return, good airline, good filght times, flying into Suvarnabhumi Airport.

So i will have to get to the accomodation from Suvarnabhumi Airport on our own, maybe a taxi or another flight?

Any thoughts............Resorts Accommodation not to far away, any experiences.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

belle4484 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there! i know of some expats who have retired in the philippines and lived a happy life. the people are friendly and accommodating, food is cheap (with a lot of restaurants to choose from- in manila, that is), and there's 7,107 islands to choose from when it comes to accommodation (by d beach, if you want), though you get what you pay for. You can find cheap apartments/ condos.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

belle4484 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there!
kindly read the thread here- retiring to the philippines. you might find it interesting.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:36 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Go to Pattaya, sounds like its your sort of place!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:45 am
Just Joined

paul_thompson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been living in Kuala Lumpur for the past 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, BUT Malaysia is getting expensive, albeit the poor exchange rate for sterling.

I moved to Chiang Mai last week and what I've seen of it so far I have no complaints. I did have a couple of weeks in Pattaya and thoroughly enjoyed that but for me to live there I would probably become an alcoholic, amazing how many alcoholic British men I came across.

My advice would be to just travel around the continent and then decide which is the best place for your interests. Just bear in mind that getting a long stay visa can be difficult in some Countries.

Have Fun
Old May 30th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
This is all very interesting that you discuss ... But I wonder how you will feel hot and humid weather there after the UK? Hmm ... if bored gentlemen, comes to the Far East of Russia - here you will not be bored...
Old May 31st 2011, 4:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PriMarina
Hi there!
This is all very interesting that you discuss ... But I wonder how you will feel hot and humid weather there after the UK? Hmm ... if bored gentlemen, comes to the Far East of Russia - here you will not be bored...
None of us are marrying your sister and that's final.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
None of us are marrying your sister and that's final.
Do not speak for all, is only responsible for your words ... It's in the first.
And secondly, did someone ask about that?
Old May 31st 2011, 8:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PriMarina
Do not speak for all, is only responsible for your words ... It's in the first.
Didn't even begin to make sense but thanks anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.