World cities

Old May 19th 2002, 12:20 pm
  #61  
Icono Clast
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LA "International" airport (was Re: World cities)

Harvey V wrote:
    > I espied that on 18 May 2002, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote: Changing planes, I knew
    > that they would need to question me about the purpose of entering the US and length
    > of stay. So I present my passport, itinerary and the boarding pass for the next leg
    > of the journey (leaving in 3 hours.) . . .

    > Him: Passes documents back without comment.
    >
    > (Me thinks: what a fun guy. Maybe he's insulted that I have no desire to
    > stay in his country. Or maybe he knows how boring this airport is, and
    > can't believe that someone wouldn't get out of it as quickly as
    > possible......)

That's SO unfair! Weren't your documents in _Australian_ rather than _American_
English? Sheesh!

Miguel Cruz said:
    > James A Paris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Result, Los Angeles Airport is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and
    > > simple long-term planning.
    >
    > Los Angeles is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and simple long-term
    > planning.

Not true! "Long-term planning" in Los Angeles is defined differently. It's something
like 10, maybe 20, years.

BTW, the highly dis-recommended Hotel Century Plaza occupies the site where Fox
Studios used to be. I happened to be down there when it opened and followed the
search lights to the party. They wouldn't let me in. Stayed there year 'fore last and
it was incredibly bad. All of us were dis-satisfied for many reasons but mostly
because of the mis-treatment that we received. We talked about it in rec.arts.dance
in December of 2000. I might have posted a note here at the time or in
rec.travel.usa-canada.

«¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ ¦ ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤»
ICONO CLAST - A San Franciscan in San Francisco - IClast at SFbay Net
http://geocities.com/dancefest/
 
Old May 19th 2002, 1:20 pm
  #62  
Megan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

On Sun, 19 May 2002 01:02:37 GMT, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

    >This week... throughtout the world, Star Wars was released from Fox Studios... right
    >in the center of Los Angeles... are people queuing for this movie in your town ?

Were the studio portions of Attack of the Clones not filmed just outside London, I
know 4, 5 and 6 were and IIRC 1 was as well.

Megan
--
Megan Farr Montgomery

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen Hvis er du, Hvis er du Jeg er sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein
 
Old May 19th 2002, 5:21 pm
  #63  
Go Fig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LA "International" airport (was Re: World cities)

In article <[email protected]>, Icono Clast <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Harvey V wrote:
    > > I espied that on 18 May 2002, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote: Changing planes, I
    > > knew that they would need to question me about the purpose of entering the US and
    > > length of stay. So I present my passport, itinerary and the boarding pass for the
    > > next leg of the journey (leaving in 3 hours.) . . .
    >
    > > Him: Passes documents back without comment.
    > >
    > > (Me thinks: what a fun guy. Maybe he's insulted that I have no desire to
    > > stay in his country. Or maybe he knows how boring this airport is, and
    > > can't believe that someone wouldn't get out of it as quickly as
    > > possible......)
    >
    > That's SO unfair! Weren't your documents in _Australian_ rather than _American_
    > English? Sheesh!
    >
    > Miguel Cruz said:
    > > James A Paris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > Result, Los Angeles Airport is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and
    > > > simple long-term planning.
    > >
    > > Los Angeles is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and simple long-term
    > > planning.
    >
    > Not true! "Long-term planning" in Los Angeles is defined differently. It's
    > something like 10, maybe 20, years.
    >
    > BTW, the highly dis-recommended Hotel Century Plaza occupies the site where Fox
    > Studios used to be.

A portion of where Fox use to be,,, cause it is still there.

jay Sun, May 19, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

    > I happened to be down there when it opened and followed the search lights to
    > the party. They wouldn't let me in. Stayed there year 'fore last and it was
    > incredibly bad. All of us were dis-satisfied for many reasons but mostly
    > because of the mis-treatment that we received. We talked about it in
    > rec.arts.dance in December of 2000. I might have posted a note here at the
    > time or in rec.travel.usa-canada.
    >
    > «¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ ¦ ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤»
    > ICONO CLAST - A San Franciscan in San Francisco - IClast at SFbay Net
    > http://geocities.com/dancefest/
    >
    >

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."
 
Old May 19th 2002, 11:21 pm
  #64  
Polar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

On Sun, 19 May 2002 05:09:43 GMT, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Go Fig wrote:
    >>
    >
    >> > individual "city" governments although surrounded by "Los Angeles" on all sides.
    >> > It's "unique", certainly, but as a "world class" city, I'd have to agree with
    >> > Judith.
    >>
    >> Fair enough... but its influence on modern culture is quite significant and
    >> tourism dollars is a huge actual number in the economy of Los Angeles. Los
    >> Angeles' economy compares to some of the entire economies of the other cities
    >> countries.
    >
    >Well, as the original poster said, it's very much a matter of subjective judgement.
    >Also, I think L.A. is essentially a young person's town. (I thought it was great
    >when I came out here in 1954, but have grown somewhat disillusioned with it in the
    >intervening years.)

Random reactions:

L.A. has many facets. One has to make one's own life; find one's own social circles.

It is difficult to ignore the superficial, materialistic pop culture that is centered
here in the entertainment and communications industries, but not impossible.

The area, especially the beach towns and the mountains, has such glorious weather;
that alone is a reason to live here.

Plus, whatever the Effete East Coast <g> thinks, the L.A. area has culture out the
kazoo. So there!

The downside, of course, is the overcrowding, overbuilding, over-everthing!
Overcrowding leads to rudeness, a la rats in a cage. Also, the educational system is
shot to hell, so the younger people are frighteningly ignorant. It is hard to
communicate with (most of) them.

We used to go down to San Diego (130 miles) and shop across the border in Tijuana
(Mexico). On the way, rolling hills, beautiful scenery. Now it's wall-to-wall
ticky-tacky crowning the hills.

Sigh!

--
Polar
 
Old May 20th 2002, 8:21 am
  #65  
Evelyn Vogt Gam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LA "International" airport (was Re: World cities)

"Long term"? What's that? (We're talking Los Angeles, California here - many people
don't expect to be inhabitants that long!)

Miguel Cruz wrote:
    >
    > James A Paris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Result, Los Angeles Airport is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and
    > > simple long-term planning.
    >
    > Los Angeles is a sad tale of a failure to apply imagination and simple long-term
    > planning.
    >
    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu New mini
    > photo-feature: Life in DC: http://travel.u.nu/dc/
 
Old May 20th 2002, 8:21 am
  #66  
Evelyn Vogt Gam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

Michael Voight wrote:
    >
    > Go Fig wrote:
    > >
    > > This week... throughtout the world, Star Wars was released from Fox Studios...
    > > right in the center of Los Angeles... are people queuing for this movie in your
    > > town ?
    >
    > Is Fox really in the center of LA?? Are you referring to the Production Facilities
    > on Pico, or someplace else? I would hardly call 10201 W Pico, the "center" of LA.

True enough! (But I've lived here for over forty years, and I'm not at all
certain WHERE the "center" is.) "City Center" meaning the city government offices
is in downtown
L.A., but everything else is scattered all over the place - including the law courts.
 
Old May 20th 2002, 8:22 am
  #67  
Mrtravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" wrote:

    > True enough! (But I've lived here for over forty years, and I'm not at all certain
    > WHERE the "center" is.) "City Center" meaning the city government offices is in
    > downtown
    > L.A., but everything else is scattered all over the place - including the law
    > courts.

How many city law courts are there in LA? I thought they were generally set up on a
county basis in California. At least that is how it is up north.
 
Old May 20th 2002, 1:23 pm
  #68  
Donna Evleth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default LA "International" airport (was Re: World cities)

Dans l'article <[email protected]>, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> a écrit :

    >
    >
    > Harvey V wrote:
    >>
    >> (Me thinks: what a fun guy. Maybe he's insulted that I have no desire to
    >> stay in his country. Or maybe he knows how boring this airport is, and
    >> can't believe that someone wouldn't get out of it as quickly as
    >> possible......)
    >
    > Possibility #1: He was illiterate?
    >
    > Possibility #2: He didn't speak English? (Although the U.S. is SUPPOSED to be an
    > English-speaking country, and few of our native-born citizens speak anything else,
    > it appears to be "discrimination" if employers insist upon fluency in English, when
    > hiring people who will be dealing with the public.)
    >
    > Possibility #3: He'd been told to ask those questions, and by God he was going to
    > ask them, whether he already had the answers in front of him or not! (Most airport
    > "security" personnel work for minimum wages - for that, you're lucky to get a warm
    > body - you want intelligence, too?)

On our last trip to the US in January, we got pulled over for the special security
check twice, in Boston and in Phoenix. All of the people checking us had English as a
second language, in some cases I felt it was a very distant second. Ironically, I had
my best luck with the one who spoke French. I could understand him all of the time.

Donna Evleth
    >
    >
    >>
    >> -turn off rant mode-
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Harvey
 
Old May 20th 2002, 8:21 pm
  #69  
Evelyn Vogt Gam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

mrtravel wrote:
    >
    > "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" wrote:
    >
    > > True enough! (But I've lived here for over forty years, and I'm not at all
    > > certain WHERE the "center" is.) "City Center" meaning the city government offices
    > > is in downtown
    > > L.A., but everything else is scattered all over the place - including the law
    > > courts.
    >
    > How many city law courts are there in LA? I thought they were generally set up on a
    > county basis in California. At least that is how it is up north.

Either way. (Perhaps I misinterpret "municipal" when used to describe courts - but
"city" or "county" they are still scattered all over Greater Los Angeles.)
 
Old May 21st 2002, 2:21 am
  #70  
Geoff McCaughan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

Polar ([email protected]) wrote:

    > The area, especially the beach towns and the mountains, has such glorious weather;
    > that alone is a reason to live here.

You can discern the state of the weather through all that smog?
 
Old May 21st 2002, 10:23 am
  #71  
Helen A.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > "mpprh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've been following the various threads entitles something like "Should I go to
    > > X ?...
    > >
    > > It seems to me there are cities, and there are "world cities".
    > >
    > > From my experience, world cities are -
    > >
    > > San Francisco Sydney London Berlin Seoul Tokyo Cairo Paris Rome Rio
    > >
    > >
    > > In order of number of letters !
    > >
    > > Of course this is subjective,
    > >
    > > Any comments ?
    > >
    > > Peter
    >
    > You certainly left off many I think of as cities of interest to the entire world! I
    > would have left off San Francisco and added New York, for a start. Seoul, but not
    > Venice? Berlin but not Paris? Too many disagreements to adequately approach here.
    > For me, all cities are worth a look. St Petersburg, for example, with incredible
    > art and physical beauty. Peking, Shanghai, Hong Kong, even. Marakech and Madrid,
    > Barcelona, Vienna, Budapest...my list is a whole lot longer than yours.

I would suggest Melbourne rather than Sydney in Australia for cultural diversity and
the arts. Sydney is colourful and warmer however with architectural icons e.g. Opera
House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Regional Victoria (of which Melbourne is the
capital) has more artists per square mile than anywhere else in Australia and many
galleries are now hosting international prizes and shows of which we get entries from
around the world.
 
Old May 21st 2002, 5:21 pm
  #72  
Evelyn Vogt Gam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

Geoff McCaughan wrote:
    >
    > Polar ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    > > The area, especially the beach towns and the mountains, has such glorious
    > > weather; that alone is a reason to live here.
    >
    > You can discern the state of the weather through all that smog?

LOL! It's not nearly so bad as it was in the 1950's, and other cities have it too -
Phoenix and Denver, for starters.
 
Old May 21st 2002, 10:21 pm
  #73  
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities - Moscow etc.

"Miguel Cruz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Emil Jelstrup <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > >> Is Russia one of the most important countries in the world? That's a
big
    > >> question!
    > >
    > > Yes, Russia *is* one of the most important countries in the world! It's the
    > > biggest country in the world (covers almost a half of Europe and the whole
    > > Northern Asia)
    >
    > Australia and Canada are both tremendously huge countries geographically
but
    > I would continue to dispute any assertion that it catapults them to top
    > player status.

Canada as some sort of world power? I'd be laughing to hard to dispute a claim
like that...

Richard
 
Old May 22nd 2002, 1:22 am
  #74  
Polar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

On Tue, 21 May 2002 15:50:02 GMT, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Geoff McCaughan wrote:
    >>
    >> Polar ([email protected]) wrote:
    >>
    >> > The area, especially the beach towns and the mountains, has such glorious
    >> > weather; that alone is a reason to live here.
    >>
    >> You can discern the state of the weather through all that smog?
    >
    >LOL! It's not nearly so bad as it was in the 1950's, and other cities have it too -
    >Phoenix and Denver, for starters.

In a way, it isn't as bad as the 1950's, because extreme polluting cars are now
off the road. I had an old Studebaker with a soft block that laid down a
trail...koff, koff...!

OTOH, there are so many more cars, that I wonder if an analysis has ever been done to
establish whether there is a net gain due to cleaner cars, or whether quantity has
overtaken quality.

Note that I *did* specify "beach towns and mountains", because on a smog day, there's
a discernable difference only a mile or so inland from the sea. (lucky me!!!)

On a day like this, after a (surprise!) little rain, everything is washed so clean
and the sky is so blue and the air is so cool... bliss!


--
Polar
 
Old May 22nd 2002, 11:22 am
  #75  
Icono Clast
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: World cities

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" wrote:
    > Geoff McCaughan wrote:
    > > You can discern the state of the weather through all that smog?

    > LOL! It's not nearly so bad as it was in the 1950's, and other cities have it too -
    > Phoenix and Denver, for starters.

Last year, perhaps the year before, I commented in rec.travel.usa-canada about
seeing, for the first time in m'mem'ry, mountains from either the San Diego or Santa
Monica freeway.

My first visit to DisneyLand, shortly after its opening, I had breakfast in Norwalk.
The smog was so bad, and it made me cry so much, that I could hardly see what I was
eating. It's SO much better now. The worst smog I've seen in recent years has been in
Mexico City, Santiago, São Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. Santiago's an interesting case
because it's on a plateau and then, a bit farther East, the Andes rise blocking
anything, like dirty air, trying to go farther. Although not on a plateau, Rio's
topography works just about the same way. Come t'think of it, so does Los Angeles'.

«¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ ¦ ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤»
ICONO CLAST - A San Franciscan in San Francisco - IClast at SFbay Net
http://geocities.com/dancefest/
 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.