British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   working in gibraltar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/working-gibraltar-268748/)

5thbeatle Nov 26th 2004 10:31 am

working in gibraltar

i am curious if anyone lives on the costa del sol but works in gibraltar. are there any decent towns close to the border ? and what about getting through the 'checkpoint'.

thanks

Silvz Nov 26th 2004 11:19 pm

Re: working in gibraltar

Originally Posted by 5thbeatle
i am curious if anyone lives on the costa del sol but works in gibraltar. are there any decent towns close to the border ? and what about getting through the 'checkpoint'.

thanks

Yes, I do.

I work in Gibraltar, but I live in Estepona. The town nearest to the Gib border (just on the other side of it, that is) is called la Linea (de la Concepcion). It's supposed to be a good choice for night life, but it's far from my favourite place...it gives a quite neglected impression, in my opinion.

If you're lookking for a nice place to live, i can recommend Estepona to you...not too crowded, but not too quiet either. And quite pittoresque.
Sabinillas is a good choice if you want to be in a calm place, but for me it was too "dead" (I've lived there for two months, so i should know).
San Pedro (near Marbella) is probably the nicest town, but may already be a bit too far from Gibraltar. Puerto Banuz and Marbella are known for their cosmopolitan character, but are even further away.

About getting through the checkpoint: I recommend doing that on foot. if you drive through by car, you may be looking at quite a long queue (depends on the time of the day). Moreover it's a hell finding parking space in Gib. If you need to know anything else, just contact me, OK?

jaldridge Nov 27th 2004 12:07 am

I am from Gibraltar but live and work in Spain now and agree with these comments apart from the ones about La Linea.

The new mayor of La Linea has really transformed the place. It is quite nice now with good shops, restaurants and a good night life. Although prices are not cheap due to its proximity to Gib.

Good luck!

bfg69bug Nov 27th 2004 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jaldridge
I am from Gibraltar but live and work in Spain now and agree with these comments apart from the ones about La Linea.

The new mayor of La Linea has really transformed the place. It is quite nice now with good shops, restaurants and a good night life. Although prices are not cheap due to its proximity to Gib.

Good luck!

i wouldn´t say la linea is ...neglected.. seems a bit like gibralter, built a while ago and in need of updating.. lol i go down there quite alot as u all know my van got impounded.. lol ...

if ur gonna live in spain i´d say live just down the road slightly, and travel by car, if u can afford to sit in the traffic every morning, or go by bus like alot of the people i know do, its cheap and efficiant.

if u live in la linea then get a moto / push bike, you sail straight thru.

i wouldn´t say prices are expensive in la linea, especially for food, its very cheap and makes for a good night out in the square...

i dont know about house prices tho, i´ve never looked. theres alot of flats down there tho.

Silvz Nov 27th 2004 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i wouldn´t say la linea is ...neglected.. seems a bit like gibralter, built a while ago and in need of updating.. lol i go down there quite alot as u all know my van got impounded.. lol ...

if ur gonna live in spain i´d say live just down the road slightly, and travel by car, if u can afford to sit in the traffic every morning, or go by bus like alot of the people i know do, its cheap and efficiant.

if u live in la linea then get a moto / push bike, you sail straight thru.

i wouldn´t say prices are expensive in la linea, especially for food, its very cheap and makes for a good night out in the square...

i dont know about house prices tho, i´ve never looked. theres alot of flats down there tho.

Heheh, same thing happened to my boss' Mercedes ;)

Hmm...still, parts of La Linea make an neglected impression on me...can't help it :s

About the bus: it's 3.19 EUR for a trip Estepona-La Linea...it seems cheap like that, but pay that twice a day each day, and the amount adds up by the end of the month :s Moreover the bus drivers drive like madmen, and they even tend to just pass you by now and then when you're waiting at the bus stop...

bfg69bug Nov 27th 2004 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Silvz
Heheh, same thing happened to my boss' Mercedes ;)

Hmm...still, parts of La Linea make an neglected impression on me...can't help it :s

About the bus: it's 3.19 EUR for a trip Estepona-La Linea...it seems cheap like that, but pay that twice a day each day, and the amount adds up by the end of the month :s Moreover the bus drivers drive like madmen, and they even tend to just pass you by now and then when you're waiting at the bus stop...

hehehe.. very true :D lol .. looks like a moto is the best / fastest gib entry option then ?

Silvz Nov 27th 2004 6:52 pm

Yeah, I would say so...even though I wouldn't dare engaging myself in the mad Spanish traffic with a moto ;)