Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

working in europe?

working in europe?

Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:21 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default working in europe?

how easy is it to find work in europe when you don't speak the language? i mean, any kind of work, casual and the like, to support a travelling holiday......

anyone have any experience?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in europe?

You really need to time it right to get in with the tourist season. If you can legally work, bar work shouldn't be too much of a problem in the tourist areas.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough
Default Re: working in europe?

Originally posted by brisnick
how easy is it to find work in europe when you don't speak the language? i mean, any kind of work, casual and the like, to support a travelling holiday......

anyone have any experience?
Hi there Brisnick
I'm a dinkum Aussie and himself is half Aus/half UK. I think I've been here too long - "half" is the funniest looking word I've seen for a long time: had to check the dictionary to see if I'd spelt it correctly!) Himself has basic French, mine is pathetic but I'm doing lessons and working hard to correct this.

We came to France for 6 months, stayed for another 6 and then extended again - our date for moving on is now set for March, 2004.

We don't know where we're going yet. Would like to move to another part of France to work on a farm with a French family (as opposed to English where we are now), but generally speaking, the French cannot afford wages because of the high amounts they have to pay the government if they do take someone on. We've put the word out for work through the local vet, but its a long shot.

We also need some way of finding prospective employers. Our current job was advertised in the UK Farmers Weekly. I think to work in a country without the language skills, you would need to have an english speaking employer prepared to act as interpreter and assistant filler-in of forms.

We too will take any kind of work, and the money doesn't have to be flash - we're prepared to trade off income for skills/experience, but think we are more likely to get jobs using our farming skills.

Plan B is to work on farms in the UK, Place C to return to Aus for a few months then launch again from there.

I would be interested in following your progress and sharing notes, if that would help.