Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Yeah :
their main cathedral being any Irish bar ( plenty of those in Brux , BTW ) , premiership on SKY , lousy greasy fry-up food and ( usually ) too much booze
( watch out for those Duvels , mates ! ) ;
so , now you can all crucify me !?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Craiggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Originally Posted by mazz1
Most people speak English here, health care is good, low population, easy going attitudes and a high standard of living. Long hot summers and lots of lovely fluffy snow in winter. Santa lives here and the social scene is pretty good compared with the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-J9Z...eature=related
No offense meant to Ray or all the other proud europeans on the site,but mazz1 is absolutely right the rest of Europe cannot hold a candle to Scandinavian cities like:Stockholm,Reykjavik,Bergen,Copenhagen and of course Helsinki witch towers over anything Europe as to offer .Furthermore Scandinavian ladies are most desirable women on the planet,they are the only one who have (most of the time) that rare combination of a sublime and exceptional beauty couple to a keen intellect and a pleasantly Independent and seductive personality that are not found in one package in any other women on this planet as you regularly find in a Valkyrie .It stems from their upbringing from the time that they where little girls.
But a warning:Scandinavian women are like a F1 car only a few are capable to successfully handle them.
mazz1 i couldn't watch all the video
thanks for sharing
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craiggy
No offense meant to Ray or all the other proud europeans on the site,but mazz1 is absolutely right the rest of Europe cannot hold a candle to Scandinavian cities like:Stockholm,Reykjavik,Bergen,Copenhagen and of course Helsinki witch towers over anything Europe as to offer
Errr .... I'm sorry mate (and I know it's only a matter of opinion) but places such as Bergen might be different to other European cities, but it is in no way a better place than other European Cities
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:40 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point

No offense meant to Ray or all the other proud europeans on the site,but mazz1 is absolutely right the rest of Europe cannot hold a candle to Scandinavian cities like:Stockholm,Reykjavik,Bergen,Copenhagen and of course Helsinki witch towers over anything Europe as to offer .Furthermore Scandinavian ladies are most desirable women on the planet,they are the only one who have (most of the time) that rare combination of a sublime and exceptional beauty couple to a keen intellect and a pleasantly Independent and seductive personality that are not found in one package in any other women on this planet as you regularly find in a Valkyrie .It stems from their upbringing from the time that they where little girls.
But a warning:Scandinavian women are like a F1 car only a few are capable to successfully handle them.
mazz1 i couldn't watch all the video
thanks for sharing
Scandinavian women are greatly overrated. The tall hot blonde stereotype rightfully belongs to the Dutch. Or just the general hot blondes=baltics and eastern europe in general. A lot of Swedes are overweight.

Anyway, away from shallow unimportant considerations (there's hot and ugly girls anywhere, average doesn't matter).
Scandinavian cities are usually pretty certainly but they have a tendancy to be horribly dull, very remote from the world and make one want to slit ones wrists during winter (last year in Stockholm- 15 hours of sun all November....)
If you're going for a Scandinavian city stick with the capitals or maybe Gothenburg. I lived in Uppsala and god is it quiet and boring.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyr
Scandinavian cities are usually pretty certainly but they have a tendancy to be horribly dull, very remote from the world and make one want to slit ones wrists during winter (last year in Stockholm- 15 hours of sun all November....)
If you're going for a Scandinavian city stick with the capitals or maybe Gothenburg. I lived in Uppsala and god is it quiet and boring.
Thats a good point of view
I spent occasions in Bergen and Gothenburg. Bergen was boring and extremely expensive. Gothenburg was just ... well ... expensive
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:08 am
Just Joined

bossmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I just came across this.

You say "Since Bergen is a international college town would English therefore be the language that all the people would use to communicate.I am a self-employed day trader and will not need to apply for job ,i just need a good,safe,interesting,upscale and a civilized society or city to relocate too."

I grew up in Norway, my sister lives in Bergen (for the past 20 years).
It is a beautiful town to visit, but I would not choose to live there.
Do you LOVE rain? It rains a lot.

If I was in your position, only needing my laptop and a desk, and it doesn't sound like you have any children(?), then I wouldn't go there.
Norway (and the rest of Scandinavia) is most definitely the best places to bring up children IMO, but if you don't have any/don't plan to have any, then there isn't much there.
It IS boring. It's hard to get to know people, so as you wont be working with them, I'm not sure how you'd go about making friends/integrating? You could join groups I suppose.

We are currently considering moving to Norway (probably around Oslo as most jobs are there), but that is solely because we feel it would be a better place for our child to grow up, and easier for us as parents. We are currently in the UK (husband British) and we don't feel this is the most family orientated place...

Just my thoughts. Please feel free to ask anything if you're still considering Bergen, and I could put you in touch with some people there if you like.

Personally, in your position, I'd move to Paris
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Craiggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thank you for your valuable input,it is very much appreciated.
Is English as commonly use in Bergen as it is in the Reykjavik or Stockholm?
The weather in Scandinavian(excluding Iceland) is primarily cold in winter and a very fresh,dry and pleasant 70F in summer VS here in north east where you freeze to death in the winter and suffocate under obscenely hot and disgustingly muggy summer air.There is a 100F+ degrees difference between Jan. 1st to JuL 1st(windchill and heat index incl.) ,so I'll take Bergen and Scandinavian weather anytime
You are right i am 39, childless and never married,however i beg to differ with you my dear boosmonkey on your assessment of Scandinavian nightlife.I cannot argue for Oslo,Bergen,Copenhagen or Helsinki since i never had the pleasure and privilege to visit there long enough to know,but i know beautiful Reykjavik and sexy Stockholm very well and I can assure that they do not take a back seat to any of the other clubbing capital in this world except for maybe L.A.,Vegas or Ibiza.Also in those 2 Scan. cities people know how to really go crazy and have fun,without the soiree finishing in guns shots and knifing as it is a regular occurrence elsewhere .
As far as Paris being a foodie and organic gourmet food devote,i love french food,wine and even their totally neurotic women(kind ofve).I also admire their highly develop and courageous social consciousness but France rubs me the wrong way paradoxically i find life there to be "yakee".
I hope you will be able to relocate to Oslo because you will surely be happy and better off there than in U.K. police state.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Craiggy; Oct 28th 2010 at 9:20 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:01 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

Scandinavian cities like:Stockholm,Reykjavik,Bergen,Copenhagen and of course Helsinki witch
Scandinavian cities: Stockholm, Bergen, Copenhagen
Nordic cities: Stockholm,Reykjavik,Bergen,Copenhagen, Helsinki

Pardon my pedantry, but just because something is normally tought wrong, does not make it right.

I just had to crow bar that in there.

Last edited by Norsk-also; Nov 2nd 2010 at 2:03 pm.