Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Craiggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Hi everybody this is my first post.
Let me expand my gratitude to the creators of this website and all very knowledgeable and accommodating members for the invaluable information provide here.I am in Toronto Canada witch is like the rest of North America a place where people are totally clueless about the fact that the continent is going to the dogs,to quote STOOBERT.
All the social and economic tyranny are tested first in the uk and than implemented in north America.The refreshing thing about Europe(uk exclude)judging by the reaction of the valiant Greek people,the beautiful people of Iceland and even the sophisticated but obnoxious people of France is that they are all fighting back against anyone or anything that is trying to impoverish their land and Annihilate that wonderful European social safety net and living standard,unlike the Caucasoid in the states or the Pollyannish Canadian whom live in a delusional world,where a embarrassing obsession with the USA is their raison-d'etre.
I was going to go to the Caymans till i red on BE the experience of a expatriate police officer about what is going there.
I was also shocked last year when i visited Bermuda to see that this once glorious island paradise as become in short time (last visit 1996)
a total and absolute ultra-violent hell hole
Therefore Europe is my last hope,precisely Switzerland or Norway(specifically Bergen).
Is true that if you are a English person the best cities in Switzerland where they are the most English speakers are Zurich and Bern?
Since Bergen is a international college town would English therefore be the language that all the people would use to communicate.I am a self-employed day trader and will not need to apply for job ,i just need a good,safe,interesting,upscale and a civilized society or city to relocate too.
Hopefully you can help

Last edited by Craiggy; Sep 29th 2010 at 2:18 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:06 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Originally Posted by Craiggy
Hi everybody this is my first post.
Let me expand my gratitude to the creators of this website and all very knowledgeable and accommodating members for the invaluable information provide here.I am in Toronto Canada witch is like the rest of North America a place where people are totally clueless about the fact that the continent is going to the dogs,to quote STOOBERT.
All the social and economic tyranny are tested first in the uk and than implemented in north America.The refreshing thing about Europe(uk exclude)judging by the reaction of the valiant Greek people,the beautiful people of Iceland and even the sophisticated but obnoxious people of France is that they are all fighting back against anyone or anything that is trying to impoverish their land and Annihilate that wonderful European social safety net and living standard,unlike the Caucasoid in the states or the Pollyannish Canadian whom live in a delusional world,where a embarrassing obsession with the USA is their raison-d'etre.
I was going to go to the Caymans till i red on BE the experience of a expatriate police officer about what is going there.
I was also shocked last year when i visited Bermuda to see that this once glorious island paradise as become in short time (last visit 1996)
a total and absolute ultra-violent hell hole
Therefore Europe is my last hope,precisely Switzerland or Norway(specifically Bergen).
Is true that if you are a English person the best cities in Switzerland where they are the most English speakers are Zurich and Bern?
Since Bergen is a international college town would English therefore be the language that all the people would use to communicate.I am a self-employed day trader and will not need to apply for job ,i just need a good,safe,interesting,upscale and a civilized society or city to relocate too.
Hopefully you can help
Welcome to the forum, Should you get any issues give myself or one of the other members of the Admin Team a shout.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Witch cities in Switzerland and Norway are easier for a English speaking person ?

Don't know about Norway , the taxes and COL would scare me !
As for CH , it's only Zuerich IMHO , unless you're also French-speaking ( in which case , Geneva would be great , right on the border ! ) ;

but beware : from my experiences of TTO , you could yet be making a major mistake ? It's multi-ethnic , low-crime , affordable accommodation , good summers , decent service , reasonable assortments of goods and services , excellent public transport infrastructure and so much more ( which you may not find elsewhere ) ; you can eat and enjoy Asian , Slavic , German , anything and if you are keen on French : Montreal is not that far !
Maybe : think again , or : take a Gap Year/6 months in EU ?
Cheers !
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray51
Don't know about Norway , the taxes and COL would scare me !
As for CH , it's only Zuerich IMHO ,

but beware : from my experiences of TTO , you could yet be making a major mistake ? It's multi-ethnic , low-crime , affordable accommodation , good summers , decent service , reasonable assortments of goods and services , excellent public transport infrastructure and so much more ( which you may not find elsewhere ) ; Montreal is not that far !

Cheers !
Thank you Ray for your input,
the taxes here in Canada are atrociously high and we get nothing for it,the Canadian social safety net is nothing compere to you guys in Europe.
The Norwegians and all their Scandinavian cousins have the highest standard of living in this world for all the money they pay in taxes however We get jack-crap for all the taxes we pay here.
Have you ever experience Ray a ABOMINABLE and bone chilling Canadian winter,where if your not careful you might freeze to death?
Only to be subjected 6 mths later to that atrociously unpleasant muggy,dirty,smelly,sticky and humid summer air?That's good weather for you?You find Toronto affordable?you must be living in a war zone right now if Toronto for you is low crime
I don't know when was the last time you where in Toronto OR in canada and the states,because what you are describing above in your reply sound more like a Scandinavian or northern european city rather than Toronto or Canada for that matter.I can assure you Ray in perfect Shakespearean English,Dat place ain't here

Last edited by Craiggy; Oct 1st 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

True , haven't been to Tto for almost 10 years now ;
my last visit was one Xmas/New Year , how pleasant to experience crisp snow , well-functioning transport , clear blue skies...I don't remember ever beeing cold anywhere , not for a moment ( unlike in the U.K. ! ) ; as for the affordability , wait until you learn about scandalous property prices in most of NW EUrope , the ludicrous stealth taxation and consequently ever-falling living standards ;
and finally : re the crime ? yes : courtesy of too many politically-correct bastards , and with ongoing increase in emigration from Africa , eastern Europe , Balkans and elsewhere , many a city has absolute no-go zones , where the police prefer not to show up at night .
As I suggested : perhaps you should visit and investigate first , before making the big move ?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as neither Switzerland nor Norway is in the EU, maybe you should check with the respective Consulates as to whether you need a visa to work in either country?
If the immigration regulations are acceptable, then you can research on which city is easier for an English speaking person...
And as suggested, take a holiday in both cities to check in person, before making a decision.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Ray and dmu
thanks for your input.
i will check Norway as soon as possible this year.
The US are on a verge of a total economic and sociological collapse anytime between now and the next 2yrs,and of course it will be bringing along with it their totally dependent and vulnerable protectorate of Canada.The laws are already in the books i.e.Patriot act 1-patriot act 2/Canadian Bill C32 to handle the situation.Europe is not a mystery to me,my parents have relocated 2yrs ago to Guernsey,2 of my uncles are in Jersey,1 of my 3 brothers is living in Barcelona and up until 2004 i use to own a 1bdrms summer twhse in Brighton.The U.K. unlike the rest of Europe has had over the past 10 yrs it's populace transformed into clueless,dumb-down,apathetic and totally Americanize zombies as they are here!
As i mention before it is the test bed for things to come here,therefore to be avoided at all cost IMO anyway.That is why i never went back,i am self employed as a index pattern day trader and i just need my laptop or desk top with internet connection to be "in action".Needless to say that i will not wait to the "11th hour" to head for the exits.I also know Reykjavik Iceland very well so if push was to come to shove i have already places to go,i just wanted to add more options on my list of relocation destinations

Last edited by Craiggy; Oct 2nd 2010 at 8:40 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:37 am
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craiggy
Ray and dmu
thanks for your input.
i will check Norway as soon as possible this year.
The US are on a verge of a total economic and sociological collapse anytime between now and the next 2yrs,and of course it will be bringing along with it their totally dependent and vulnerable protectorate of Canada.The laws are already in the books i.e.Patriot act 1-patriot act 2/Canadian Bill C32 to handle the situation.Europe is not a mystery to me,my parents have relocated 2yrs ago to Guernsey,2 of my uncles are in Jersey,1 of my 3 brothers is living in Barcelona and up until 2004 i use to own a 1bdrms summer twhse in Brighton.The U.K. unlike the rest of Europe has had over the past 10 yrs it's populace transformed into clueless,dumb-down,apathetic and totally Americanize zombies as they are here!
As i mention before it is the test bed for things to come here,therefore to be avoided at all cost IMO anyway.That is why i never went back,i am self employed as a index pattern day trader and i just need my laptop or desk top with internet connection to be "in action".Needless to say that i will not wait to the "11th hour" to head for the exits.I also know Reykjavik Iceland very well so if push was to come to shove i have already places to go,i just wanted to add more options on my list of relocation destinations

More options....how about Sweden??
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or Belgium ?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mazz1
More options....how about Sweden??

Or Belgium ?
also.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Not a joke !
Whereas I'm not aware of any witch/es ( as in your query ) , anyone who matters speaks english in Brussels , there is great international/cosmopolitan flavour , the food and drink are vastly superior to those in Skandie-lands , transport and medical arrangements are very good , CoL lower than CH , Norway or Sweden ...depending on one's priorities , much more could be said , on this theme .
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:32 am
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Not a joke !
Whereas I'm not aware of any witch/es ( as in your query ) , anyone who matters speaks english in Brussels , there is great international/cosmopolitan flavour , the food and drink are vastly superior to those in Skandie-lands , transport and medical arrangements are very good , CoL lower than CH , Norway or Sweden ...depending on one's priorities , much more could be said , on this theme .
Most people speak English here, health care is good, low population, easy going attitudes and a high standard of living. Long hot summers and lots of lovely fluffy snow in winter. Santa lives here and the social scene is pretty good compared with the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-J9Z...eature=related
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Not a joke !
I've been to Brussels three times, once as a tourist and twice through work. Each time I thought Brussels was a dump. It is a dirty and pretty ugly city. There was a nice square in the centre, but surrounded by kebap shops run by the vast North African population (nothing wrong with North Africans, but not what you'd expect).

Here's a thought, if you want to move to a nice city in Europe. Why not choose a city and then learn the native langauge!? You will be able to make friends much more easily and understand the culture and what is going on in the city. I can't think of any place where you could have a good social life in Europe without knowing the local langauge. Unless you just want to hang around with Americans and Brits!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes ,
The Capital of EU is often filthy dirty ( in more ways than one ) ;
the people who live here hardly ever go to Grand Place , or other such tourist traps/places , downtown ;
however , we all agree that the pro's of Brux outweigh the cons , by a hefty margin .
Skandies , Krauts , Brits , Itaes , Spanish , many others : all love it , a Lot !
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:48 am
born to be mild

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've been to Brussels three times, once as a tourist and twice through work. Each time I thought Brussels was a dump. It is a dirty and pretty ugly city. There was a nice square in the centre, but surrounded by kebap shops run by the vast North African population (nothing wrong with North Africans, but not what you'd expect).

Here's a thought, if you want to move to a nice city in Europe. Why not choose a city and then learn the native langauge!? You will be able to make friends much more easily and understand the culture and what is going on in the city. I can't think of any place where you could have a good social life in Europe without knowing the local langauge. Unless you just want to hang around with Americans and Brits!
Got to say those that hate it here are those that don't speak Swedish....funny cos most Brits moan about immigrants mixing in thier own culteral groups and not learning English.Unfortunately it seems The British are the worst offenders when living abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.