Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter in S Europe

Winter in S Europe

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Winter in S Europe

What areas of Southern Europe are still lively in winter?

I am trying to decide on an area to stay and settle down and I am VERY confused.

I spent last winter on the Costa Del Sol and while there is still some activity around Puerto Banus and the popular restaurant are still open, overall, the place does feel quite dead.

Where would I find the most lively winter scene? I am not looking for a retirement type place. I am still single and would like to have places to go out and have a drink and hang out. Even so, I am not a big partier.

Oh, and btw, I don't expect it to be HOT, but I would at least want the temp to be around mid teens during the daytime.

Algarve, South of France, Amalfi, Ibiza, Canaries, Barcelona?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:25 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter in S Europe

Probably the Canaries. I must admit though Italy is very lively over winter because of all the Festa's around Christmas. Florence just never has a break though, Feb is the quietest month. What about Capri or Sardinia? They might be worth a look.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Probably the Canaries. I must admit though Italy is very lively over winter because of all the Festa's around Christmas. Florence just never has a break though, Feb is the quietest month. What about Capri or Sardinia? They might be worth a look.
What is the weather like in Florence over the winter?

I haven't considered Capri or Sardinia yet. Anybody living there?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

We were in Cyprus , one December a few years ago ; Nicosia or Lefkosia , as you wish !
A shirt was sufficient in daytime , light jacket or jersey on some evenings ;
the place was buzzy , if you like cafe-society , chic shopping , night clubs ;
grocery shopping : quite poor , compared to norhern Europe - but resto-food was fine ...
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:14 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
What is the weather like in Florence over the winter?

I haven't considered Capri or Sardinia yet. Anybody living there?
I know people on another forum who live in Capri. I could find out.

It can get very cold and wet in Florence over winter, but there is always stuff going on because of the large student population, mainly from the US. Last year we didn't have a winter - it was mild like spring in the UK and it started to warm up properly in Feb. BUT this was unusual. Having said that, we had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago and now it has warmed up again - in the house with no heating on and the doors open. Again, feels spring like rather than onset of winter. Coldest is apparently this month according to Florentines, so we could be in for a mild one again. House temp with doors with doors open is currently 70/20.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I know people on another forum who live in Capri. I could find out.

It can get very cold and wet in Florence over winter, but there is always stuff going on because of the large student population, mainly from the US. Last year we didn't have a winter - it was mild like spring in the UK and it started to warm up properly in Feb. BUT this was unusual. Having said that, we had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago and now it has warmed up again - in the house with no heating on and the doors open. Again, feels spring like rather than onset of winter. Coldest is apparently this month according to Florentines, so we could be in for a mild one again. House temp with doors with doors open is currently 70/20.
Yes, I would be interested in learning more about Capri.

Do you like living in Italy?