Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

And a lot to do with the general perception Middle England has of Expats in sunnier climes,makes for a very easy political target,Hope that the EU can stop this one,but don't hold out much hope (I don't receive it BTW)
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:29 pm
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Yes

Oh good,so I take it you are refusing to accept your pension.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No neither do I although still in UK as non resident in Spain I am one of those caught in the ever increasing age cycle before you get anything.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
Agreed.

It will indeed be a waste of time as that particular e-petition is closed! However there is a new one just started specifically regarding the manipulative way the UK government is defining the boundaries of France. This can be found at EEA Winter Fuel Allowance should remain for Mainland France expats - e-petitions
While I'm a great fan of cross-forum posting, I wonder why it is that the vast majority of frothing loon expats are in Spain and Portugal?

It's a real puzzle to me.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The Government have got to start cutting expenditure and whilst the WFA seems petty it's a start.

It's absolutely ridiculous that working people over 60 (me included) get the WFA. I also get a GLC freedom pass for free travel in London so effectively another subsidy for those over 60 that work even if only part-time.

All these add-ons should be stopped to fund a higher basic state pension that forms part of taxable earnings.

Whoever wins the next election is going to have to take some hard decisions to cut the deficit either by raising taxes or reducing public sector costs or both.
No party is likely to declare that to be their position this side of the election as it will cost too many votes but that's the reality.

The real big issue that needs sorting as opposed to tinkering with are public sector pensions as these will bankrupt the country if they continue in their present form.

Last edited by johnnyone; Jan 3rd 2015 at 5:43 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
The Government have got to start cutting expenditure and whilst the WFA seems petty it's a start.

It's absolutely ridiculous that working people over 60 (me included) get the WFA. I also get a GLC freedom pass for free travel in London so effectively another subsidy for those over 60 that work even if only part-time.

All these add-ons should be stopped to fund a higher basic state pension that forms part of taxable earnings.

Whoever wins the next election is going to have to take some hard decisions to cut the deficit either by raising taxes or reducing public sector costs or both.
No party is likely to declare that to be their position this side of the election as it will cost too many votes but that's the reality.

The real big issue that needs sorting as opposed to tinkering with are public sector pensions as these will bankrupt the country if they continue in their present form.

A start or just electioneering?

The Conservatives have vowed to cap public sector redundancy pay-offs, if the party wins May's general election.

The party's election manifesto would pledge to introduce legislation to limit payments to Ā£95,000, Treasury minister Priti Patel said.

BBC News - Conservatives vow to cap public sector redundancy pay-offs
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

they also said something about migrants coming in to the country dont get anything for 3 years,also stop them claiming for children out of the country ,thats what made me sit up and want to vote for them .i wont hold my breath though
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Good morning everyone.

Just want to say if you have signed the petition an email is sent to you confirm your signature. So far we have approximately 800 signatures but 100 odd have not signed the email sent to them. Many thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:10 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
While I'm a great fan of cross-forum posting, I wonder why it is that the vast majority of frothing loon expats are in Spain and Portugal?

It's a real puzzle to me.
Don't know so much about Portugal but I think the expats in Spain have a had a very rough time of it and several austerity measures introduced by the Spanish have targeted them more than the Spanish nationals (who, coincidentally, have the right vote in the next elections). I guess being picked on quite speciously by their own government with regard to WFA is enough to make any Brit go loopy.

At the end of the day the WFA is just not worth the candle (unless maybe you heat with candles ) and probably costs as much to administrate. It would be better to get rid of it entirely methinks.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

And more expats living in these two countries.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyone

It's quoted often that opting people out of the unwanted benefits that you've quoted would cost more in admin costs than the benefit.We live in a world increasingly IT dependant,so you'd think that a fairly simple programme running on the HMRC data base could sort it out,but then that might be an over simplification.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

In late April 2013, Duncan Smith called for wealthier people to voluntarily return winter fuel payments, which are given to all pensioners regardless of wealth, to help reduce the strain on public finances. Then he was told that the DWP had no mechanism in place to receive returned payments. This from the idiot who runs the department.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
If there is nothing on the UK Government website about the end of WFA then what is the point of a petition?

How can speculation in the press be Government policy?
You seem a bit stuck on the idea that there's nothing on "the government website" to confirm what's being said. It may not appear on the main page about this year's payments (because it doesn't apply this year) but there's all sorts all over the place about it.

This statement, for example

Subject to Parliamentary approval, from winter 2015/16 a change to the WFP entitlement conditions will mean that the WFP is no longer payable to people living in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain.
which comes from page 3 of the document published here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...pt14_final.pdf and which is most definitely from a government website.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You seem a bit stuck on the idea that there's nothing on "the government website" to confirm what's being said. It may not appear on the main page about this year's payments (because it doesn't apply this year) but there's all sorts all over the place about it.

This statement, for example which comes from page 3 of the document published here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...pt14_final.pdf and which is most definitely from a government website.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

This statement, for example which comes from page 3 of the document published here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...pt14_final.pdf and which is most definitely from a government website.
Hi Red Eric

So it seems if you dig around you can find where the papers get there stories from. But still there is the matter of the EU ruling saying that the UK had to maintain the payments to Expats living in the EU.

At today's exchange rate it is only about 5euro per week so maybe not a problem to to many.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.