Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:41 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Very nearly - cathedral-like interior, nearly two hundred years old. Can be chilly, but the advantages far outweigh a bit of occasional winter discomfort, and even that is ameliorated by sitting close to the stove! Not for much longer, though - probably.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Most other countries do not get a freebie like that for their pensioners, so be greatful you did for a few years.
OH says there's no national equivalent of WFA in France.
The Conseil Général of each Département grants CMU (free healthcare) status to very-low-income applicants, who would therefore be "listed" and possibly allocated other benefits. Each Département has its Fonds d'Aide Sociale which must be shared between the needy and there are 4 Commissions per year to study all the applications (renewed annually) and decide who should benefit and how much.
Some Départements might be more generous than others, depending on their unemployment rate and how rich their inhabitants are...., but what they allocate is certainly not a national right.
P.S. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, just for £200 p.a.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
We still pay tax in the UK.
Only 40% of personal taxation is Income Tax.
The rest is NIC and indirect taxation (VAT) which provides the other 60%,
As a UK OAP you are not required to pay NIC on your income unlike France.
You are complaining about the equivalent of £4 per week.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
Having read the Daily Mail today on the above subject I am disappointed in the response from the people in the UK. It would seem to be the norm that folks in the UK think that we the Brit Ex Pats should not be entitled to the heating allowance. Now why is this???? We have all paid our dues over the years, between me and mine we have clocked up 73 years of paying in. It is a miserly amount of 200 PER YEAR !!! Reading the comments in the paper you would think we were all getting 200 a month towards heating. Not a lot said about immigrants claiming all the benefits of which they have paid in zilch!! I get very steamed up about the Polish community getting family allowance for children not even in the country. And I am not sure about the legality of stopping this payment....is anyone up for challenging this? Nothing gets done without a bit of noise!!!! We have to make ourselves heard
If its such a miserly amount, I cant see why you make a fuss over it? If we follow your logic, then expats should also be entitled to all other benefits that pensioners can get in the UK. Polish immigrants tend to work better than the average Brit; that's why they have a job.I suggest you stop nit picking and enjoy what's left if your lives.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

miss limousin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Only 40% of personal taxation is Income Tax.
The rest is NIC and indirect taxation (VAT) which provides the other 60%,
As a UK OAP you are not required to pay NIC on your income unlike France.
You are complaining about the equivalent of £4 per week.
Yes but when you get it, all at once, it is a godsend for December electric bills/wood purchase - and we have paid in over a full lifetime of work, and it is part of the pitiful pension that we get. It is the principle and the misguided notion that we all live in constant hot sunshine. I for one am spending new year's day in bed to try to keep warm. £200 may not be much to you, but it meant all the world to me. And it is galling when you read about bankers' bonuses of £370million. Who needs that kind of money?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss limousin
Yes but when you get it, all at once, it is a godsend for December electric bills/wood purchase - and we have paid in over a full lifetime of work, and it is part of the pitiful pension that we get. It is the principle and the misguided notion that we all live in constant hot sunshine. I for one am spending new year's day in bed to try to keep warm. £200 may not be much to you, but it meant all the world to me. And it is galling when you read about bankers' bonuses of £370million. Who needs that kind of money?
I sympathise with your situation but the current benefits system is not appropriate for present-day society.
The bankers you refer to will also receive the WFP if they are the correct age.
A friend of mine who has a State Pension plus 3 private pensions is using his WFP for golf lessons.
Another friend who has a highly-paid job in the insurance industry uses her free bus pass to get to work.
The problem is that wealthy pensioners receive universal benefits that could be better used for those who have real need.
If they re-distributed the money from better-off pensioners to the less well-off then it would make a significant difference to the latter group.
I will also spend New Years day in bed but for a totally different reason.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of water and a bacon sandwich should sort you out!

Happy new year!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough
Default WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

Just thought I would ask people if they would sign this petition against the British Government stopping the winter fuel payments to ex pats!

Petition | rivoice.net ... tries.html

If you sign you will get an email from rivoice which may go in your junk file so please check that!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

Expats to lose Winter Fuel allowance in Spain and other European Countries | rivoice.net

I think this one is better!
Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Why?

What about all the other allowances that we lose by moving abroad (child allowance for one)!

It's not just the pensioners why lose out!
Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but I went to local supplier to order another 100 litres of oil. I was quoted a lump price, and thought it a bit high, so asked two different neighbours what they had paid. Mine worked out at 76 cent, theirs at 69.
I returned to the supplier, who informed me that this was due to the high taxes in France. I pointed out that VAT actually reduces as the base sum declines and that taxes are also high in the UK.
They then said the market was moving higher anyway. I pointed out that it has dropped nearly ten percent since their initial quote. They flatly refused to accept that this was the case and then said not only was the fuel market heading higher, but they often had this problem as English people simply do not understand how markets work. I told them I was a commodities merchant for thirty years and that certainly was not true of me. By this time the whole office was in on the act.
The next step was to cancel the delivery as I could get it 7 cents cheaper elsewhere. The response was that these people were only trying to get my business (which clearly for some reason was a BAD THING).
By this time I was the only customer left. The boss then came over and said that they would supply at 69 cents "expectionellement".
Now I am off to talk to the woodman - I need another 10 steres. He put his price up to 55 a stere two years ago as the oil price was so high. I wonder if he will have reduced?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why?

What about all the other allowances that we lose by moving abroad (child allowance for one)!

It's not just the pensioners why lose out!
What about all the other allowances!!

This petition is about the winter fuel payments. If you feel hard done by start a petition yourself.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by capricorn2013

Plenty of water and a bacon sandwich should sort you out!

Happy new year!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have signed it but doubt it will matter they have picked on an easy target as most in UK resent expats through jealousy although of course same people will take advantage of cheap holiday visiting you lol. The government instead of penalising those that have paid full contributions in there working life should sort out the sillyness of paying family allowance etc to EU immigrants whose children and often partner have never set foot in the UK.

Last edited by bobd22; Jan 1st 2015 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have signed it but doubt it will matter they have picked on an easy target as most in UK resent expats through jealousy although of course same people will take advantage of cheap holiday visiting you lol. The government instead of penalising those that have paid full contributions in there working life should sort out the sillyness of paying child allowance to EU immigrants whose children and often partner have never set foot in the UK.
I agree with you that that is appalling, however if we dont try we will not gain anything, so thank you for signing. Can you share if possible on your facebook as the more the merrier. We need 10,000.00

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.