Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
But many do.
UK benefits should only be paid whilst people are in the UK and not be used to fund holidays of any length.
I worked in UK & came to PT in the late 80's with a Contract from a Major UK Importer of PT Products as there Sole Source/Buying/QC Control Agent solely to improve the quantities & quality off goods they imported from PT.

So in my working life I have helped BOTH economies benefit, but you & your troll insist that I am not entitled to the WFP now I am retired ?

As too your comment above, personal I find it insulting
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
I worked in UK & came to PT in the late 80's with a Contract from a Major UK Importer of PT Products as there Sole Source/Buying/QC Control Agent solely to improve the quantities & quality off goods they imported from PT.

So in my working life I have helped BOTH economies benefit, but you & your troll insist that I am not entitled to the WFP now I am retired ?

As too your comment above, personal I find it insulting
I believe it is the UK Government that is insisting you and I will not be entitled to WFP.

Did you read and understand?
UK benefits should only be paid to UK residents, those living elsewhere should be eligible to the benefits that the local residents receive.
If you have been working in Portugal since the late 80's then you should be entitled to Portugese benefits.

If you find my comments insulting fair enough but I would also loose my UK benefits.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:59 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Ingles, neither of us are trolls in fact Fred and I agree on very little but you fail to understand that the removal of WFP and the focus on eligability for other UK benefits from expats is very popular in the UK.
If the OAP was increased by an amount equal to WFP then those expats who receive it will be no worse off.
Only those who are not UK pensioners would lose it.
WFP was originally a 1 off payment during a period of very cold UK weather.
It has suited governments since then to keep it as an annual payment rather than increase the OAP.
It could be cancelled at any time for everyone.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
But it's most likely to be cancelled for those who are least likely to affect the outcome of a UK election.

Apparently only 20,000 expats are currently registered to vote in the UK. There's info about registering here.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Ingles, neither of us are trolls in fact Fred and I agree on very little but you fail to understand that the removal of WFP and the focus on eligability for other UK benefits from expats is very popular in the UK.
If the OAP was increased by an amount equal to WFP then those expats who receive it will be no worse off.
Only those who are not UK pensioners would lose it.
WFP was originally a 1 off payment during a period of very cold UK weather.
It has suited governments since then to keep it as an annual payment rather than increase the OAP.
I fully understand the present situation , what I fail to understand is both off your attitudes

As to "Trolls" +/- 11.000 Post from the pair off U on anything & everything ?

Got to go now making Marmalade
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:29 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I fully understand the present situation , what I fail to understand is both off your attitudes

One of the best examples of Pot and Kettle I think I have ever come across.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

So basically you helped the UK spend it's money abroad, maybe it was on much needed goods or maybe not and maybe your work helped to get better value for money but it also helped the PT economy possibly at the expense of UK jobs and for that you consider you deserve UK benifits
STRANGE

I left the UK in the mid 70's with nothing.
I set myself up promoting and selling UK manufactured goods into the world market, thereby putting money and employment into the UK and I don't consider that entitles me to UK benefits
STRANGER STILL

Enjoy your UK subsidised marmalade making
Old Dec 24th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

So basically you helped the UK spend it's money abroad, maybe it was on much needed goods or maybe not and maybe your work helped to get better value for money but it also helped the PT economy possibly at the expense of UK jobs and for that you consider you deserve UK benifits
STRANGE

I left the UK in the mid 70's with nothing.
I set myself up promoting and selling UK manufactured goods into the world market, thereby putting money and employment into the UK and I don't consider that entitles me to UK benefits
STRANGER STILL

Enjoy your UK subsidised marmalade making
Oh! Fred Fred Fred !
You obviously forgot what the nice man in the white coat told you.
Unless you take your pill at least once a day ,you will start to lose touch with reality.
So we can take it that due to the above "rambling" that you forgot your medication yesterday
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Having read the Daily Mail today on the above subject I am disappointed in the response from the people in the UK. It would seem to be the norm that folks in the UK think that we the Brit Ex Pats should not be entitled to the heating allowance. Now why is this???? We have all paid our dues over the years, between me and mine we have clocked up 73 years of paying in. It is a miserly amount of 200 PER YEAR !!! Reading the comments in the paper you would think we were all getting 200 a month towards heating. Not a lot said about immigrants claiming all the benefits of which they have paid in zilch!! I get very steamed up about the Polish community getting family allowance for children not even in the country. And I am not sure about the legality of stopping this payment....is anyone up for challenging this? Nothing gets done without a bit of noise!!!! We have to make ourselves heard
Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

JJay51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

So you want the UK government to give you £200 when you don't live here as you live in France?
Look at it another way, the eastern europeans living here (UK) that claim child benefit for kids that are still living in Poland with the mother actually works here and pays his taxes? same thing isnt it?
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

We still pay tax in the UK.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Had a discussion with a friend last night and she was angry about having to wait an additional 7 years to get her State Pension.
She will lose out on £50k in total. £7k+ per year for 7 years.
Like you, it is the perception of unfairness that upsets her.
However, all the main UK parties are likely to support the loss of universal benefits to pensioners.
I think that you will find that universal WFP and universal bus passes will be phased-out during the next parliament - and not just for expats.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 9:31 am
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a piddling, trivial amount, anyway. Fuel oil costs me between 1K and 3K Euros a year, depending upon the severity of the winter, and wood for burning in the stove and cooker, between 1K and 2K Euros, not to mention the increased electricity usage. It's a darn sight colder here, in the winter, than in the Former UK, and £200 is a mere drop in the ocean. Personally, I believe that a British subject, who had contributed throughout his/her working life, should be entitled to both the state pension, and any additional benefits, regardless of their chosen location in retirement.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
Having read the Daily Mail today on the above subject I am disappointed in the response from the people in the UK. It would seem to be the norm that folks in the UK think that we the Brit Ex Pats should not be entitled to the heating allowance. Now why is this???? We have all paid our dues over the years, between me and mine we have clocked up 73 years of paying in. It is a miserly amount of 200 PER YEAR !!! Reading the comments in the paper you would think we were all getting 200 a month towards heating. Not a lot said about immigrants claiming all the benefits of which they have paid in zilch!! I get very steamed up about the Polish community getting family allowance for children not even in the country. And I am not sure about the legality of stopping this payment....is anyone up for challenging this? Nothing gets done without a bit of noise!!!! We have to make ourselves heard
The stoppping of the WFA for residents of countries where the average winter temp was higher than the UK was announced many months ago, and has been discussed to death on most of the forums for countries affected, yes in some places in say Spain, France and Italy there are areas where winters a very cold, even as, in the UK, there are areas where the temps are way below the worked out qualification temp. You made your decision to move there based on where you wanted to be, and not on the fact that you would still qualify for WFA. Most other countries do not get a freebie like that for their pensioners, so be greatful you did for a few years.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
Fuel oil costs me between 1K and 3K Euros a year, depending upon the severity of the winter, and wood for burning in the stove and cooker, between 1K and 2K Euros
Good God do you live in an open sided barn with no roof on it

750lt of oil and maybe $250 worth of wood is my average annual consumption and we don't go cold or practice economy measures, it's around 22 here at the moment.

40 year old house BTW with 20+ year old boiler.

€97/mth electric.

Ladies harmonising the pension age is a natural consequence of equality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.