Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I'm by no means an expert on this kind of thing and would not claim a grant like the WFA unless I felt I was "needy" enough to do so but, if I were in such circumstances, I would imagine that there are French grants to which I would be entitled, n'est-ce pas?
Absolutely, I've mentioned the possibility twice. Needy OAPs can consult their local Assistante Sociale to find out what documents are necessary to justify their request, apply to their Conseil Général, and wait for the verdict. I know all about it as my elderly neighbour on a tiny UK Widow's Pension applied for CMU (and obtained it). She could have asked for more benefits/allowances, but her inherent British pride wouldn't let her.

Last edited by dmu; Jan 23rd 2015 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:25 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

So, on that basis, I will go on the record to state that my view is that UK OAP's living in France should NOT get the WFA. In my opinion this has nothing to do with how much we've contributed within the UK system, but on how our needs can be met based upon our circumstances. The French system is far better placed to deal with this.

The reasons being given by the UK for stopping the payments may be specious in the case of France but they are, nevertheless, justified in stopping it. They should stop it for everyone who does not need it, wherever they may live.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
So, on that basis, I will go on the record to state that my view is that UK OAP's living in France should NOT get the WFA. In my opinion this has nothing to do with how much we've contributed within the UK system, but on how our needs can be met based upon our circumstances. The French system is far better placed to deal with this.
Things are never quite as black and white as they might appear. Bear in mind that the French state pension is significantly higher than the UK equivalent so it's arguable that the French government already pays its citizens enough so they don't need to claim additional age-related payments.

I wonder what the reaction would be if all UK expat pensioners in France demanded equal treatment with their French counterparts in terms of their pensions.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:41 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Having contributed to both the UK and the French state pension schemes I can tell you that the French employer/employee contributions are much higher than in the UK so it's only logical the pension should be higher too.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
I know all about it as my elderly neighbour on a tiny UK Widow's Pension applied for CMU (and obtained it). She could have asked for more benefits/allowances, but her inherent British pride wouldn't let her.
One wonders if you couldn't have spared her indignation by quietly slipping her a few hundred euros from your surplus funds.