Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 12:37 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late Winter Fuel Payments

Originally Posted by Lord Noze
To repeat my reply to the "Unreasonable" person who answered: no other country needs to offer all these add ons because they pay a decent state pension in the first place. So no, not "lucky" at all - if anything entitled to it. Considering my post was deleted I would like the moderator to remove my original post at the top, that of "Reasonable Bitch" and for my removal from this website listing.

And thank you to Coco pops who gave a constructive and useful answer.
OK.. fine. We're all "entitled" to something, I reckon. But this particular benefit is unique and rather generous compared to the rest of the world. So, I don't believe 'lucky' is much of an exaggeration.

I'm still a British citizen.. I never looked into it, but maybe I could get some free cash, too. It's probably not a lot, but maybe it would buy a nice dress or something. What do you think?

-- and with all due respect, I believe it was you who started this thread on an offensive, whinging, blame-letting tone about the unfairness of a freebie you're not receiving, a benefit that's designed to help struggling UK residents with their winter heating bills, a benefit that most of the world would be delighted to have, but in your case, at the expense of those residing and paying taxes in the UK, which you apparently are not a member of.

So, sorry to have offended your sense of "entitlement" (which, by the way, you demonstrably chose to respond to in an offensive manner).

And I am the offensive one?

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 22nd 2015 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Lord Noze is an unknown quantity at this point

I think...I expected constructive helpful comments on an expat website not an argument. And that is the end of the matter.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Noze
I think...I expected constructive helpful comments on an expat website not an argument. And that is the end of the matter.
This is mild, compared to the discussions on the Spain, Portugal, France... forums on the same subject!
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:32 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by dmu
I've noticed that, at the time of writing, CocoPop's latest posts in Spain and Portugal haven't had any reaction from the locals and that there's no thread on the subject on the Cyprus forum.
But this isn't a reason to bombard the France forum on the subject, esp. as there are only one or two members here who are affected by the loss of this "acquired right" and aren't aggressive about it....
Maybe CocoPop can advise the poster on the Germany forum?
If anyone else would like all these Winter Fuel Allowance threads merged into the Europe General section please voice your opinion HERE in the site feedback section.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 22nd 2015 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:52 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone else would like all these Winter Fuel Allowance threads merged into the Europe General section please voice your opinion HERE in the site feedback section.

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu

I'll remind everyone for the last time that French OAPs whose country it is, who have paid their NI and Taxes like any other European citizens in their own countries, don't get winter fuel payments. No doubt national citizens of the other countries about to be axed, don't get them either.
The comparison is irrelevant. French state pensions are significantly higher than UK pensions (which are amongst the lowest in Europe) so French pensioners have less need to top up their pensions with other benefits. Remember the WFP is an age-related payment introduced as a universal (non-means tested) benefit. If it was intended only for those who had to chose between heating and eating then it would have been means-tested.

So why do UK expats who CHOSE to live in retirement in those countries "deserve" to continue to receive winter fuel payments?
In the context of the proposed withdrawal of the WFP those UK expats who chose to live in France 'deserve' to be treated in a fair and non-discriminatory manner when compared to those who choose to live in other European countries. What's wrong with fairness and non-discrimination?

I've given advice to those of you living in France - up to you to take it, or not.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
No, France is a special case.

Who, apart from the UK government, thinks that France has warmer winters than the UK?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banjoboy

Who, apart from the UK government, thinks that France has warmer winters than the UK?
Nobody at all on the France forum agrees with you.
I agree with Cyrian that this is getting really tedious.

Will you please give it a rest.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:29 pm
Quien no sabe

It's the same subject France is not special because for you argument to work all countries have to be treated the same
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:37 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Nobody at all on the France forum agrees with you.
I agree with Cyrian that this is getting really tedious.

Will you please give it a rest.
Personally this is a nice sandwich we could share other thoughts on how to keep you going throughout the winter as money isn't everything..

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:23 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

In the context of the proposed withdrawal of the WFP those UK expats who chose to live in France 'deserve' to be treated in a fair and non-discriminatory manner when compared to those who choose to live in other European countries. What's wrong with fairness and non-discrimination?
OK, so as a French OAP together with how many millions of French-born OAPs, I protest at the unfairness of UK OAPs who can't accept the laws, rules and regulations of their host country.
I rest my case m'lud.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Well if I were to accept the rules and regulations of Spain my pension would be twice as much so yes please I would like to accept the rules and regulations of my host country and get the same pensions as the Spanish having paid into the system for over 40 years my pension is peanuts and if I lived in the UK I would be entitled to all sorts of subsidies, so it is cheaper to pay my Winter fuel then have me return to live in the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

aboris is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Bigglesworth I agree with Banjoboy.........you are being unecessarily rude.........so why don't YOU give it a rest????
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

I also saw on another site that under UK parliamentary rules MPs can only accept requests to sign the early day motion from their constituents. This excludes anyone living outside of the UK who is not registered to vote in the Uk.
The campaign that should take priority is not Wfa but the right to vote even if you no longer live in the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aboris
Actually Bigglesworth I agree with Banjoboy.........you are being unecessarily rude.........so why don't YOU give it a rest????
How on earth am I being rude?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.