British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   window cleaning in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/window-cleaning-uk-944907/)

Wade Burns Jul 28th 2022 12:30 am

window cleaning in UK

Hi, I am a window cleaner in the UK. we used mainly water fed poles. we will be moving to another country in the next year and we are looking for other places where it is standard to clean windows using this method with the long extendable pole. we are thinking about Spain, Portugal or Netherlands or even Canada. where are you all living and do they use these poles?

Pulaski Jul 28th 2022 5:23 am

Re: window cleaning in UK

Do you have a passport issued by an EU country? Because for your proposed EU destination countries, without an EU passport you're going to need to look into whether you are eligible for a visa that is viable for your business plan.

dmu Jul 28th 2022 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Wade Burns (Post 13131462)
Hi, I am a window cleaner in the UK. we used mainly water fed poles. we will be moving to another country in the next year and we are looking for other places where it is standard to clean windows using this method with the long extendable pole. we are thinking about Spain, Portugal or Netherlands or even Canada. where are you all living and do they use these poles?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Apart from the issue of a working visa, do you speak any European languages? Even if you'd be targetting British expats, you'd need adequate knowledge of the language of the country chosen, to cope with Bureaucracy.
Check that windows don't open inwards in the countries mentioned, like in France. French householders normally clean them themselves (or get their home helps to do so). In France, industrial/commercial window-cleaning is done by companies and you'd have problems being employed by one, as they must justify that they can't find an EU candidate for any jobs going.
I've no idea what methods window cleaners use on the Continent, but bear in mind that there are usually water restrictions in southern Europe in periods of drought, which are getting more and more frequent.
From the title of your post, it sounds as though you're asking about window cleaning in the UK, and members reading this part of the forum, who might have useful info, might not bother to read the post. Maybe you should change the title and replace UK by Spain/Portugal/Netherlands, which would catch their eye?
But, if you don't hold an EU Passport, research the Visa issue! Who does "we" refer to? It may lead to complications if you aren't legally bound....
HTH

Rosemary Jul 28th 2022 8:29 am

Spaish windows either open inwards or are sliders so no-one has any difficulty cleaning them.

Rosemary

Wade Burns Oct 4th 2022 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 13131499)
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Apart from the issue of a working visa, do you speak any European languages? Even if you'd be targetting British expats, you'd need adequate knowledge of the language of the country chosen, to cope with Bureaucracy.
Check that windows don't open inwards in the countries mentioned, like in France. French householders normally clean them themselves (or get their home helps to do so). In France, industrial/commercial window-cleaning is done by companies and you'd have problems being employed by one, as they must justify that they can't find an EU candidate for any jobs going.
I've no idea what methods window cleaners use on the Continent, but bear in mind that there are usually water restrictions in southern Europe in periods of drought, which are getting more and more frequent.
From the title of your post, it sounds as though you're asking about window cleaning in the UK, and members reading this part of the forum, who might have useful info, might not bother to read the post. Maybe you should change the title and replace UK by Spain/Portugal/Netherlands, which would catch their eye?
But, if you don't hold an EU Passport, research the Visa issue! Who does "we" refer to? It may lead to complications if you aren't legally bound....
HTH

I think we will either go to canada or usa after much consideration, as it seems the method of cleaning windows with long poles is common there. I believe it will be fairly easy for me to get a visa in these places as I have a business generating revenue and countries love to give people visas who can generate revenue. ive contacted one of the main water fed pole manufacturers here in the UK to see if they have much knowledge of international markets as I assume they would be the ones who would know. regarding, spain its my understanding that the UK and Spain have good relations and we can move over there pretty easily also and a large portion of the population there is English speaking. researching how registering companies and taxes work in all these countries to figure out which one makes more sense economically now hmmm so many things to think about

Pollyana Oct 4th 2022 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Wade Burns (Post 13145803)
I think we will either go to canada or usa after much consideration, as it seems the method of cleaning windows with long poles is common there. I believe it will be fairly easy for me to get a visa in these places as I have a business generating revenue and countries love to give people visas who can generate revenue. ive contacted one of the main water fed pole manufacturers here in the UK to see if they have much knowledge of international markets as I assume they would be the ones who would know. regarding, spain its my understanding that the UK and Spain have good relations and we can move over there pretty easily also and a large portion of the population there is English speaking. researching how registering companies and taxes work in all these countries to figure out which one makes more sense economically now hmmm so many things to think about

You may need to do a bit more research into Canada and the USA to see if you are able to get a visa. It may be more complex than you think.

dmu Oct 5th 2022 6:59 am

Can't manage to high-light the sentence:o, but even if you did get a Visa to work in the EU, it wouldn't matter how many customers speak English, you'd still have all the commercial/legal/administrative Bureaucracy to cope with in the local language. Also, whatever they speak, they likely wouldn't have windows opening outwards, and would probably clean them themselves. Sorry to harp on these aspects, but fore-warned is fore-armed... Good luck with your research!:)

Wade Burns Oct 5th 2022 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13145821)
You may need to do a bit more research into Canada and the USA to see if you are able to get a visa. It may be more complex than you think.

speaking to a couple Visa professionals now and also other entrepreneurs who have moved abroad I will do more research and explore my options

Wade Burns Dec 9th 2023 6:17 am

I think we will either go to canada or usa after much consideration, as it seems the method of cleaning windows with long poles is common there. I believe it will be fairly easy for me to get a visa in these places as I have a business generating revenue and countries love to give people visas who can generate revenue. ive contacted one of the main water fed pole (wfp) manufacturers here in the UK to see if they have much knowledge of international markets as I assume they would be the ones who would know. regarding, spain its my understanding that the UK and Spain have good relations and we can move over there pretty easily also and a large portion of the population there is English speaking. researching how registering companies and taxes work in all these countries to figure out which one makes more sense economically now hmmm so many things to think about

small update on this, I have made some visa applications and we will see. this seems to be going well. hopefully Spain accept me as I love the language and the country

Rosemary Dec 9th 2023 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Wade Burns (Post 13230307)
small update on this, I have made some visa applications and we will see. this seems to be going well. hopefully Spain accept me as I love the language and the country

In your first post you mentioned several countries so I left your thread in the general Europe section but now you seem to be focussing on Spain so do you want me to move the thread into that forum or leave it here.

Rosemary