Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why can't British Citizen move to Belgium?

Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

xdcam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why can't British Citizen move to Belgium?

Hi all

First post around here.

I am a British Citizen (Born in England) with UK passport. 41 years old.

I want to move to Belgium, but after reading around the various web sites it would appear that I would not be allowed to live there.

I'm somewhat confused as I thought EU countries were pretty much a free-for-all for other EU members; not so.

There are a few issues that I've been reading that will prevent me ever being able to settle down in Belgium and make a life there.

Such as, a tiny (and I do mean tiny) police record from years ago; trafic offense and another small GBH incident (self-defence, but broke a guys finger). The police gave me a record for both of them. With this record I cannot get a 'letter of good character' from the police.

Then there is tax issues. I'm self employed and have been building up my business for the past 12 months and have not yet got any tax-return papers that I can show.

There also seems to be a ton of red-tape with regard to English people wanting to settle in Belgium.

I'm somewhat upset over this situation. I'm going to call the Belgium Embassy in London tomorrow to see if they can help.

Can anyone advise me if my hopes of living in Belgium are a total non-starter?

Thanks all.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why can't British Citizen move to Belgium?

Dunno, Can't say I've ever looked into it.

Good luck with the embassy though.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure I understand your post.

You can theoretically move where you want in the EU. There were no police checks or such on me when I moved here to Spain and I know of people who have moved to Holland with no checks either as well as France and Portugal

Are you not allowed to move there because of your record, and if so how do the authorities there know you have one?

Theres a lot of red tape here also when you move here, but it doesn't mean you cant

It would be a little ironic to say the least if Belgium, the seat of the EU, were going against EU policy :-))

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 29th 2007 at 5:10 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xdcam

Hi all

First post around here.

I am a British Citizen (Born in England) with UK passport. 41 years old.

I want to move to Belgium, but after reading around the various web sites it would appear that I would not be allowed to live there.

I'm somewhat confused as I thought EU countries were pretty much a free-for-all for other EU members; not so.

There are a few issues that I've been reading that will prevent me ever being able to settle down in Belgium and make a life there.

Such as, a tiny (and I do mean tiny) police record from years ago; trafic offense and another small GBH incident (self-defence, but broke a guys finger). The police gave me a record for both of them. With this record I cannot get a 'letter of good character' from the police.

Then there is tax issues. I'm self employed and have been building up my business for the past 12 months and have not yet got any tax-return papers that I can show.

There also seems to be a ton of red-tape with regard to English people wanting to settle in Belgium.

I'm somewhat upset over this situation. I'm going to call the Belgium Embassy in London tomorrow to see if they can help.

Can anyone advise me if my hopes of living in Belgium are a total non-starter?

Thanks all.
Bit confused here ... will answer it step by step for you....

Where have you read that you are not allowed to live in Belgium. Being a EU citizen you can in theory live anywhere in the EU.

I moved here properly last month and had no problems whatsoever - although i have a job here already and this question was asked when i registered with the local commune (do you have a contract of employment to work in belgium).

With regards to the police record, i have never been asked about criminal records or convictions (for the record - i do not have any). Yes the police do come to check on you after you have registered with the local town offices to get a residence permit, but this is only to check you gave the correct details.

Regarding the tax, i dont know. I got a professional company to take care of all my taxation.

I have had no red tape.

Hope you get success.

Dave
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it bloody annoying when someone asks a question and then doesn't bother to come back
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Isnt it bloody annoying when someone asks a question and then doesn't bother to come back
Probable been arrested at the border. ;-))
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Probable been arrested at the border. ;-))
What border?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
What border?
Getting out of the UK. ;-))
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Getting out of the UK. ;-))

well the UK border seems to be in France, as thats where we had to go through UK customs checks
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Hey , guyz and dolls :
I am a British Citizen , living in Belgium ( since 1999. ) ;
what seems to be The Problem ?
1 ) No one ever indicated that Brit can't live in BelgoLand ; Brits are generally well-liked by most Belgians and enjoy particularly good treatment by the likes of police and public servants ; the local authorities always were ( and remain still ) extremely cooperative e.g. in granting us first : temporary , then : permanent residence status etc ;
2 ) The health-care , the beers , the grub , the choccies here , all are : second to none !
3 ) The border crossings in and out of Belgium ( into Germany , Luxembourg , The Netherlands and France ) are usually not attended by any officials , on either side/s ; the main motorway Aachen-Liege-Bruxelles-Ghent-Bruges-Calais doesn't even have any provisions , nor buildings , for such staff ...
...so : Enjoy !
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:18 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Ray51
Hey , guyz and dolls :
I am a British Citizen , living in Belgium ( since 1999. ) ;
what seems to be The Problem ?
1 ) No one ever indicated that Brit can't live in BelgoLand ; Brits are generally well-liked by most Belgians and enjoy particularly good treatment by the likes of police and public servants ; the local authorities always were ( and remain still ) extremely cooperative e.g. in granting us first : temporary , then : permanent residence status etc ;
2 ) The health-care , the beers , the grub , the choccies here , all are : second to none !
3 ) The border crossings in and out of Belgium ( into Germany , Luxembourg , The Netherlands and France ) are usually not attended by any officials , on either side/s ; the main motorway Aachen-Liege-Bruxelles-Ghent-Bruges-Calais doesn't even have any provisions , nor buildings , for such staff ...
...so : Enjoy !

Only a problem for XDCam it seems
we're all with you