Why?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all
Default Re: Why?

Slovenians might be crazy behind the wheel of a motorised vehicle but they tend (for the main part) to be considerate cyclists. When we bought our bikes the salesman said he could not let us leave the store without putting a bell on each bike and I find that Slovenians tend to use them. If there's a cycle path I'll always use it but when there isn't the pavements are usually wide enough to safely acommodate cyclists and pedestrians.

People in the UK tend to get enraged if they see a cyclist on the pavement. In fact, even on designated cycleways, such as the Derwent Walk, which are meant to be shared, people still jump out of their skins and scowl if a cyclist rings his or her bell.

Being able to safely cycle to my place of work, or to the shops, or just for enjoyment is something I'm really looking forward to about living in Slovenia. When we're there I always feel more inclined to go somewhere by bike than I do in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by billycornelly
Its still on topic Mike, duztee referred to the crazy slovene drivers as a reason for people unwilling to move to slovenia, I backed it up but maybe Karl was talking about an incident in the uk.
I will have to disagree,having cycled alot in Spain,Portugal and France the standard of poor driving is not limited to Slovenia,we are just lucky here that Slovenia is not a highly populated country,even if everybody seems to be on the road at the same time!I most certainly would not see this as a reason for not moving to Slovenia!!!!!!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

I don't currently drive but I can see that depending on what business we have when we move out to Slo I might have to. The prospect of driving in Slovenia does make me more nervous than the thought of driving in the UK and I have seriously considered whether, if I didn't drive, it would be a serious obstacle to our move so in that respect it could influence a decision to move.

But looking at other reasons why Slovenia might not be as attractive an option, I do think it comes down to cost and Slovenia's cost of living is not as attractive as it once was. We'll still go ahead with our plans because we've been working towards this for a while now. I suppose people are looking for the places where their money can go further.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Getting back to the original post, I think anyone serious about moving to Slovenia has probably done allot of research before hand and researched the conclusion

Property maybe cheap but not much else is.
The job market here is on it's arse
Endless bureaucracy
Complex language - lack on beginner level courses

I can see Slovenia still be attractive to retired people as they can sell their property in England get something nice here.

Fizzy, driving here is not that bad you will get used to it. You probably know this but, if there is no cycle lane you should ride on the road, you can be fined for ignoring this rule. Also I have a friend who was fined for riding on the wrong cycle lane, ie it should follow the flow of traffic.

I should add despite the downbeat nature of most of my posts, I am happy here.

Last edited by mbkarl; Feb 21st 2013 at 11:19 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
I will have to disagree,having cycled alot in Spain,Portugal and France the standard of poor driving is not limited to Slovenia,we are just lucky here that Slovenia is not a highly populated country,even if everybody seems to be on the road at the same time!I most certainly would not see this as a reason for not moving to Slovenia!!!!!!!
Well...! That's why I'm leaving....I just cant take it anymore............
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by booboo24
Well...! That's why I'm leaving....I just cant take it anymore............
Hey Una,I just dont see it happeningThough if you get a nice little place in Portugal for the winter months,I might just happen to know a reliable couple to caretake it the rest of the time!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fizzytom
I don't currently drive but I can see that depending on what business we have when we move out to Slo I might have to. The prospect of driving in Slovenia does make me more nervous than the thought of driving in the UK and I have seriously considered whether, if I didn't drive, it would be a serious obstacle to our move so in that respect it could influence a decision to move.

But looking at other reasons why Slovenia might not be as attractive an option, I do think it comes down to cost and Slovenia's cost of living is not as attractive as it once was. We'll still go ahead with our plans because we've been working towards this for a while now. I suppose people are looking for the places where their money can go further.
As Karl says you would soon get into it,belive me its much easier to drive here than in the U.K and once you get away from town you only have to keep an eye out for those wending their way home after a spritze or two,around here you are far more likely to get a Red Deer leaping into the road than meet another car!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Regarding the language I read something recently, I must find where, that said that once you have been resident in Slovenia three months you can qualify for a free language course.

I can sort of see why they don't make it free earlier - you might take the free lessons and not become a longer term resident. On the other hand, when you apply for your temporary residency permit at the end of the first ninety days it would show your commitment if you say you'd been learning the language. Also, if you are coming to work, it would be better to start lessons as soon as possible, rather than waiting until you are established in your work or starting your business.

I'm dying to start some lessons. I love learning languages anyway and Slovene doesn't daunt me; I think it is easier if you already have experience of learning a language.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Can't find where I read that now. Can only find sources that say there are free courses to people after one year's temporary residence and an extension of that for at least one year, so maybe I misread whatever it was I had found.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Like a lot of people I was originally planning a retirement in Spain, but now it is almost as expensive as the UK.
So the choice was eastern Europe.

Quite simple, Hungary was about the only country that I could not remember ever appearing in the news relating to a war or civil conflict.
When I checked house prices and cigarettes ( my one passion that evil as it is I know I am not going to give up!) then Hungary was the sound stable economic choice.

I have bought a nice house, far larger than I need, I have fitted new windows and new kitchen, all for a fraction of the cost in England.
So I am happy with my choice.........tho' right now in the middle of winter the caribean feels like it would have been a wiser choice!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Like a lot of people I was originally planning a retirement in Spain, but now it is almost as expensive as the UK.
!
No .... it's not actually and its a common misconception. Ive just spent 4 months or so back in the UK and I went through money like water.

If you choose the Costa Del Sol then its like comparing London to the rest of the UK. Here in the Costa Blanca North its still considerably cheaper here than the UK. The only really expensive stuff is electrical goods which you really have to shop around for
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Quite simple, Hungary was about the only country that I could not remember ever appearing in the news relating to a war or civil conflict.
Not came across the Magyar Garda yet then
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

When I checked house prices and cigarettes ( my one passion that evil as it is I know I am not going to give up!) then Hungary was the sound stable economic choice.

I have bought a nice house, far larger than I need, I have fitted new windows and new kitchen, all for a fraction of the cost in England.
So I am happy with my choice.........tho' right now in the middle of winter the caribean feels like it would have been a wiser choice!
I don't think that Eastern Europe is at all cheaper, it is my experience that you may be paying less for a item but you are in fact buying a lower quality item. One thing I have learned is to not buy anything that was made for Eastern Europe.

And what I save on in cups of coffee is nothing to what I spend in keeping myself warm in winter with all the added stress of living through cold winters!
You may get a cheaper house in Eastern Europe but you wont get a modern build for them prices and the chances are they will cost more in the long run.
You can now get a much better quality build in other parts of Europe for your money and warmer winters than you can in Hungary.

I have no idea why people are choosing Hungary, they would have to answer that but I know why I chose Slovenia
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booboo24
I don't think that Eastern Europe is at all cheaper, it is my experience that you may be paying less for a item but you are in fact buying a lower quality item. One thing I have learned is to not buy anything that was made for Eastern Europe.

And what I save on in cups of coffee is nothing to what I spend in keeping myself warm in winter with all the added stress of living through cold winters!
You may get a cheaper house in Eastern Europe but you wont get a modern build for them prices and the chances are they will cost more in the long run.
You can now get a much better quality build in other parts of Europe for your money and warmer winters than you can in Hungary.

I have no idea why people are choosing Hungary, they would have to answer that but I know why I chose Slovenia
Hungary is certainly much cheaper. Average £40/year council tax, cheaper car insurance, water charges etc.
Many well made Hungarian products, any rubbish i have bought here tends to be Chinese made.
You can buy a three bed log home, built by craftsmen, with views for £46,000 or 100 sqm new build, decent build quality, £60,000.
Hungary isn't utopia but for many it is an affordable place to be and...... no mad drivers or road rage!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hungary is certainly much cheaper. Average £40/year council tax, cheaper car insurance, water charges etc.
Many well made Hungarian products, any rubbish i have bought here tends to be Chinese made.
You can buy a three bed log home, built by craftsmen, with views for £46,000 or 100 sqm new build, decent build quality, £60,000.
Hungary isn't utopia but for many it is an affordable place to be and...... no mad drivers or road rage!
According to this Hungary is one of the most expensive for household electric.
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta...ice_statistics

And you find very little difference here in fact Hungary is more expensive than other countries like Spain, Austria etc

http://www.energy.eu/

I do not pay household/council Tax as yet but have been told that's its coming, I do pay a land tax of 35 Euros for two hectares.

How's the tasting so far Mike

Last edited by booboo24; Feb 23rd 2013 at 9:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.