why

Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

zads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why

just wondering what are, or were everyones different reasons for leaving the uk. There's a hell of a lot doing it, us included, mid summer hopefully.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

ttbr2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zads,

We arn't sure yet whether we will live in Spain in permanently or we will spend a few months of each year over there. We have purchased an apartment, we are taking Spanish lessons and we shall be visiting Spain a lot over the next few years. If we find out that we can make a living over there then we will probably move there.

There are many reasons why: Unfortunately we have lost close members of our family who worked hard all their lives and then didn't live long enough after retirement to really enjoy it. When you hear that people who live in places like Spain live on average another 10 years it makes you think. We have too much stress in our lives. We want to live somewhere where the pace of life is slower, where there is more sunshine, the food is healthier.

We just want to make sure that we make the most of our lives and spending a lot of time in the sunshine with a cold beer seems as good as any!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

stlocook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why

Originally posted by zads
just wondering what are, or were everyones different reasons for leaving the uk. There's a hell of a lot doing it, us included, mid summer hopefully.
For a better life for my children!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:30 pm
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Hi zads,

Good question, well asked. People often ask "What do you miss from Britain?" The obvious answer is "nothing", especially now that the nice man in the Foreigh Office has withdrawn the right, which we all paid for, to use the Nationa Health Service (if it still exists).

But on reflection there must be something we miss, so I'll start the ball rolling:

Moving 1 mile in an hour on the ring road.
Building a snowman in March.
Listening to the (depressing) news every night.
Working 50 hours a week to stand still.
Trying to explain to my children why they will never afford a house
Trying to explain to my children why their State and Private pension will be worth nothing.
Queuing to see a Doctor.
Trying to find a NHS dentist I AM PAYING FOR!
Paying an arm and a leg for a iffy meal served by a surly moron
Seeing mothers terrified when their children are out after dark
Being ripped off for the annual MOT
Listening to local Councils complain about Supermarkets while taxing the life out of small shops
Trying to find someone smile, even just a little smile
Trying to have a conversation in a pub without talking about football, the weather, council tax hikes, or which Doctor issues the longest sick notes
Paying more to train to London from Bristol that I do to fly to Spain

I could go on, but why should I have all the fun!

I don't think I'll be in the front of the queue to fly home ????
Old Mar 28th 2004, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Question!

I live in Hong Kong, been here for about 15 years, although I did have 1 year in Australia and about 10 months back in the UK!

Honestly speaking, I hated being back in the UK, I can't quite put my finger on it........the reason(s) why.......but I really wanted to leave!

Anyway, apparently there are around 10,000 people leaving the UK every month.

Where are you planning to go?

Cheers.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Lifestyle. It's work and telly in the UK and if you're not into pubs then that's it.

In Greece it's work - fair enough, we have to earn a crust - and then wandering about town (in complete safety) and stopping at a cafe. Sitting watching the evening volta. Then eating out.

Relaxation, safety, neighbours who chat. It's all about quality of life.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:11 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sjjs
Lifestyle. It's work and telly in the UK and if you're not into pubs then that's it.

In Greece it's work - fair enough, we have to earn a crust - and then wandering about town (in complete safety) and stopping at a cafe. Sitting watching the evening volta. Then eating out.

Relaxation, safety, neighbours who chat. It's all about quality of life.
Well done sjjs you said what I was trying to say, but more succinctly.

You have swopped an expensive 'nanny' state for quality of life!