Reload this Page >

Where to start....

Where to start....

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Rube is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start....

Hi all
There must be hundreds of threads like this with peoples bespoke needs so apologies in advance. My husband and I are/will soon be in our early 50’s and plan to move to either France or Spain with our dog. We will start visiting places this autumn and are looking for advice on where to start looking. The climate plays an important part, we would both struggle if the top temperature exceeds 30 degrees for weeks at a time. Other than that, near to English speaking Spanish people and sociable expats would be useful in addition to being within 10 mins drive to amenities but maybe with 1/2-1 acre of land. We are undecided on whether to rent or buy. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
rube
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:50 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start....

Originally Posted by Rube
Hi all
There must be hundreds of threads like this with peoples bespoke needs so apologies in advance. My husband and I are/will soon be in our early 50’s and plan to move to either France or Spain with our dog. We will start visiting places this autumn and are looking for advice on where to start looking. The climate plays an important part, we would both struggle if the top temperature exceeds 30 degrees for weeks at a time. Other than that, near to English speaking Spanish people and sociable expats would be useful in addition to being within 10 mins drive to amenities but maybe with 1/2-1 acre of land. We are undecided on whether to rent or buy. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
rube
Good evening Rube, and welcome. I am not a moderator or any such thing, but I'll just lob in a few of the usual questions and see what pans out.

Will yourself and husband be retiring, or seeking employment of some kind?

Do either of you have any French or Spanish language skills?

Climate-wise, it's anyone's guess... I've just left south-western Switzerland for Belgium, climate played a sizeable part in that decision, I can't take the extended summertime heat any more.

I would hazard a guess that you would find more expats in Spain than France, but if anyone knows better...

Often people are advised to rent for a while initially, then make a decision further down the line as to stay renting or to buy. This is a good call.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, what kind of dog do you have?
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Buckinghamshire Boy
Thanks for your reply. We’ll be looking for part time work maybe using our training (fitness, photography, security, rugby coaching, dog training) or something completely different. If we buy we’re looking in the region of £200-300k but (as you’ve suggested) we’ll rent first. It’s really difficult to guess where to start looking. I see that Malaga and Alicante have the biggest population of Brit ex pats, this is important to us as we don’t speak Spanish (although we’ll start learning when we know what country we’ll move to).
rube x
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 8:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Buckinghamshire Boy
Thanks for your reply. We’ll be looking for part time work maybe using our training (fitness, photography, security, rugby coaching, dog training) or something completely different. If we buy we’re looking in the region of £200-300k but (as you’ve suggested) we’ll rent first. It’s really difficult to guess where to start looking. I see that Malaga and Alicante have the biggest population of Brit ex pats, this is important to us as we don’t speak Spanish (although we’ll start learning when we know what country we’ll move to).
rube x
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You'd do better to post in one or the other of the France or Spain forums where the locals can give advice. I would think that Spain would be too hot for you - here in the Languedoc we had another very long heat-wave this summer (temperatures well over 30°C for weeks). Maybe the northern half of France might suit you better, temperature-wise?
When you post again, give more info on yourselves, along the lines of BuckinghamshireBoy's questions, so that members can advise better.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I’ll do that.
regards
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 9:07 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Buckinghamshire Boy
rube x
Hi again Rube,

So it would seem that you'll be looking at Spain rather than France? In that case, forget about rugby coaching... Mind you, the French probably feel they don't need help in that area either, thanks to the Catalans Dragons lifting the Challenge Cup just over a week ago...

I have a very long standing mate (Swiss/French) who recently moved to the Alicante region; he's currently in Javea, renting for a year while he sniffs around Javea, Denia, Alicante before he makes his 'big decision' as to stick renting or to buy. He tells me that there's tons of Brits down that way, that it gets extremely busy tourist-wise in high season, but still has a reasonable 'life' during the winter months.

With that kind of housing budget, I'm sure you'll be fine.

For more detail, I suggest that you post further questions in either the ... but I see that dmu just beat me to that.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Sep 3rd 2018 at 11:00 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

That’s really kind. I’ll start looking in that direction and gauge the climate. It’s about 30 degrees there right now but hopefully should be cooler with some sea breeze. I’ve posted with more details in the Spanish forum and will do the same in the French one.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:59 pm
Gloves off

...but hopefully should be cooler with some sea breeze. ...
Yes, absolutely so, exactly what my friend says. But one can still get sunburned...