Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

where in europe is a good place for my business?

where in europe is a good place for my business?

Old Aug 4th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: where in europe is a good place for my business?

Does that not restrict one to starting own new biz in U.K. only ?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:57 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Does that not restrict one to starting own new biz in U.K. only ?
I thought I had answered this but cannot see a posting and cannot remember what erudite spoutings I put forward so ....

presumably yes - initially yes uk only - are you suggesting that is unique to uk and not in SP, PT, F, I, etc. surely after the business has been started then it is up to the individual how and where they operate. perhaps with the op's training there could be potential for holding sessions in the uk from time to time for clients - airfares built in to the price but spread over a few people wouldnt make it too expensive.

all I am trying to get over is what has been posted by others in other threads to the same op on this subject is "NO don't do it you will have to find €€€ for this and €€€ for that and €€€€ for something else and dont forget the €€€ for xxx", That is negative, negative and even negative

ISTR reading an article some time ago about a spanish girl who was unemployed and they allowed her to take all or most of the 6m unnemployment benefit in a lump sum to fund the starting up of her business and it was a success.

as banks who started it and governments who condoned it, we will never dig our way out of the problems without enabling those who have the will and the drive to start a new business. OK not a multi-national employing 6,000 or more (yet) and they will have to generally reduce their sights to providing a local service not nationally (unless really lucky). But it is work and once up and running then they can start contributing to the support of those where "mum can't marry dad because she will lose her benefits"
(I remember writing that last bit but it is still whizzing round in the Lamson Tube of the Internet)

getting back to milkyblueneverever, the op, as you are in your last year - start investigating the startup of your own business (would the extra costs of going Ltd instead of sole trader give you benefits?), what would be the effects of concentrating in one eu country or several etc etc etc and move in that direction whilst going to final qualifications with a view to be there ready to start work from day 1 when you have your certification (don't forget your liability insurances)

rgds
Dom
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

getting back to milkyblueneverever, the op, as you are in your last year - start investigating the startup of your own business (would the extra costs of going Ltd instead of sole trader give you benefits?), what would be the effects of concentrating in one eu country or several etc etc etc and move in that direction whilst going to final qualifications with a view to be there ready to start work from day 1 when you have your certification (don't forget your liability insurances)

rgds
Dom
I'm not being negative in general. I understand the requirements of art therapy, and you dont just start up doing that work, you have to get contacts and weasel your way in. Most art therapists tend to work mainly for a big organisation, such as a health service or a similar organisation.

My daughter looked deeply into it, and ended up going in a different direction. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of these sort of degrees are sponsored by the NHS, and they as good as guarantee you a job at the end of it as employee or self employed contract. You can then attach your own private work to it
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not being negative in general. I understand the requirements of art therapy, and you dont just start up doing that work, you have to get contacts and weasel your way in. Most art therapists tend to work mainly for a big organisation, such as a health service or a similar organisation.

My daughter looked deeply into it, and ended up going in a different direction. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of these sort of degrees are sponsored by the NHS, and they as good as guarantee you a job at the end of it as employee or self employed contract. You can then attach your own private work to it
would not decry your exp in the actual subject matter, I hardly understand what it is
but with the state the NHS is in at the moment is anyone "guaranteed a job" ( or as good as - as you say). ? ?
how many people have finished degrees with a "guaranteed job" at the end of it and now stack shelves in Tesco or similar ??

it will probably be hard to get private work alone after graduating as there will be no work record - even despite a shining degree.

I do have a problem with those in the NHS who use the same facilities and equipment for their own private work "after hours" allowing someone to get an appt inside 4 weeks when it is 16-20wks on the NHS.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a problem with those in the NHS who use the same facilities and equipment for their own private work "after hours" allowing someone to get an appt inside 4 weeks when it is 16-20wks on the NHS.
Like Doctors, you mean

Many degrees are actually part funded by the NHS, especially for those areas where they are short of staff, so yes they do guarantee jobs for some degree courses, when they have funded it
Old Aug 4th 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Like Doctors, you mean

Many degrees are actually part funded by the NHS, especially for those areas where they are short of staff, so yes they do guarantee jobs for some degree courses, when they have funded it
thats when they become a Consultant
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

milkyblueneverever is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: where in europe is a good place for my business?

thats depressing . theres no where in europe/ no chance for me to start my business?.. i don't want to be on benefits for the rest of my life/ be in the rat race for the rest of my life..
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Most of EUrope , sadly : is a bureaucratic , inefficient , overtaxed place ;
if I were young and able , I'd go to Ontario , DownUnda , NZ , Cape Town , wherever where enterpreneurship is more appreciated and people are more switched-on about taking risks and giving and taking a quarter .
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:49 am

rgds
Dom
Originally Posted by milkyblueneverever
thats depressing . theres no where in europe/ no chance for me to start my business?.. i don't want to be on benefits for the rest of my life/ be in the rat race for the rest of my life..
as I posted earlier, start working on it now in uk, get yourself set up for operation - rather than wait until you arrive somewhere.
I have never tried setting up a business of any sort anywhere but uk, so have no experience, but surely it must be possible to go to an eu country and set up shop and start trading without actually registering with all the paper pushers and catch up with them a couple of months down the line when it has started trading.
are all doom and gloom posters saying that NO ONE in these eu countries ever sets up a business, has no income for the first week\month but pays all the tax\ni etc etc up front ? will the "revenue" actually know ?

note - i am not suggesting working in the black. actually based on solid knowledge - how do the indigenous from SP, PT, F, I etc etc start their businesses ? ? do they "bend" any rules ?

Don't give up - where there's a will there's a way
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:35 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by milkyblueneverever
Have you not done any research into Art Therapists?
They are in great demand, I don't know what you are worried about.

As I said to you earlier, and you seem to have missed it, America is the place to look. Outside Europe, yes ... but thats where the money is
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

are all doom and gloom posters saying that NO ONE in these eu countries ever sets up a business, has no income for the first week\month but pays all the tax\ni etc etc up front ? will the "revenue" actually know ?
:
Speaking for France, yes, it's a fact of life here. You register your business, you pay all the compulsory expenses up front, you hope to work enough to cover them and take some money home afterwards. I went through it all when I worked for myself and luckily didn't require translation help for all the bureaucracy involved, which would have added to the expenses.
The OP should research very carefully the market potential of any EU country, esp. in the present economic situation. Art therapists exist in France (there are specialized Schools) but any posts available would go to French graduates rather than a qualified foreigner not speaking French...
P.S. And the "revenue" would certainly find out, not to mention the social security organizations....

Last edited by dmu; Aug 5th 2011 at 11:56 am.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
Speaking for France, yes, it's a fact of life here. You register your business, you pay all the compulsory expenses up front, you hope to work enough to cover them and take some money home afterwards. I went through it all when I worked for myself and luckily didn't require translation help for all the bureaucracy involved, which would have added to the expenses.
The OP should research very carefully the market potential of any EU country, esp. in the present economic situation. Art therapists exist in France (there are specialized Schools) but any posts available would go to French graduates rather than a qualified foreigner not speaking French...
P.S. And the "revenue" would certainly find out, not to mention the social security organizations....
so there is no entreprenurial spirit in France ?
it seems the uk is the only country where the people will go out start a business, be it a kitchen or full blown office\factory without paying for everything up front and discuss with the authorities afterwards.

so what happens to the little old lady round the corner from you who takes in the odd B&B during the summer.? does she pay all the taxes etc up front and for the whole year.? in fact does she have public liability insurance.?
and what about her best friend down the road, who sells fruit and veg from a little table at the side of the road is she fully registered.?
or are their little efforts just "pocket money" and nothing to worry the "revenue" about.?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:44 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

so there is no entreprenurial spirit in France ?
?
Yes, but they all research their market potential before they launch into any enterprise. The auto-entrepreneur system was in fact invented to enable people to start up businesses WITHOUT TOO MUCH INVESTMENT, but you still have to pay compulsory social security contributions, professional insurance, etc... whether you earn money or not.
I'm just stating facts, in order to make the OP aware of the situation in France. Once again, I'm not going to enter a debate, this time about little old ladies who may or may not be working legally....
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure about France , or about little old ladies , and how they declare themselves to the tax offices ( fisc ) ;
certainly in Belgium and any number of of other countries , if you either open a business or declare yourself as "self-employed" ( independent ) , that automatically triggers all sorts of huge paperwork and inevitable regular and other payments , plus one can have unfriendly investigations . I'd be wary ...
The meaning of the term a "public servant" up here is rather : self-serving elitist and one's enemy , wherever poss .

Last edited by Ray51; Aug 5th 2011 at 12:55 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

P.S. and to face the facts :
most of EUrope is just not friendly to business nowadays , unless youy are VW/Mercedes/BMW/UBS size and category ;
the competition is just NOT welcome ;
and the tax officers would like to observe and check your every move , then send you more forms and paperwork ;
not a good way of getting anywhere !
As for the other businesses that may appear to do well , much has to do with nepotism , corruption , connections in higher places , discrimination against foreigners and a zillion of such other factors ;
for a young and qualified and ambitious person to want to come to this nest of hypocritical and bribed snakes ?
You need better advice !
As one who has lived and worked in Africa , Middle East , North America and now ( a big mistake ! ) in the EU : I will never comprehend their rotten attitudes ;
luckily , I'm in my 60's , ergo : I don't have many years to suffer the nonsense .

Last edited by Ray51; Aug 5th 2011 at 1:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.