Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

where in europe is a good place for my business?

where in europe is a good place for my business?

Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where in europe is a good place for my business?

Originally Posted by dmu
Yes, but they all research their market potential before they launch into any enterprise. The auto-entrepreneur system was in fact invented to enable people to start up businesses WITHOUT TOO MUCH INVESTMENT, but you still have to pay compulsory social security contributions, professional insurance, etc... whether you earn money or not.
I'm just stating facts, in order to make the OP aware of the situation in France. Once again, I'm not going to enter a debate, this time about little old ladies who may or may not be working legally....
how can that be "enabling" when you have to have the capital of potentially €1000 for month 1 followed by a further €5-700 per month thereafter. Thats (say) €8700 capital for the first year. Even the Brits research their market before launching. OK it may be a long held desire to sell model trains (that is now selling world wide) or just open a tanning shop (which currently looks exceedingly dodgy - despite all the promises to visit if one was opened.) then there's the delivery driver who started up with a whole string of potential customers, and only ever got business from 1 of them.

Surely Fr has the same problems, successes and failures. The yanks say the only way to succeed is to fail, which is why they are more willing to lend money to a guy who has had a failure - he will be more careful the next time.

or is it the expats are all toeing the party line and not talking about the little old ladies working on the black
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
WITHOUT TOO MUCH INVESTMENT, ...
Many auto-entrepreneurs work from home or in clients' homes for example, and don't need to invest in premises, extra overheads.... On the other hand, even when working from home, a limited company involves investment, as there's a minimum capital to put up.
The 1000€ odd monthly income to cover the cost of survival in France comes either from one's savings or one's earnings - it's a calculated risk, esp. for expats. French auto-entrepreneurs have their families to look after them if necessary....
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

I suppose you need to consider where art therapy is greatly appreciated - I am saying this cause I come from the South and I don't believe that these practises are not appreciated as there in the North.

So I would propose North countries, their economies are flourishing and statistically speaking the clientele is much much bigger. ( The climate can be an explanation for that)
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:21 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milkyblueneverever
thats depressing . theres no where in europe/ no chance for me to start my business?.. i don't want to be on benefits for the rest of my life/ be in the rat race for the rest of my life..
Don't even think of Italy. You'll be pension age before you managed to wade through all the bureaucraZy.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:32 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Don't even think of Italy. You'll be pension age before you managed to wade through all the bureaucraZy.
hows about when u have a uk ltd co and use that as the vehicle for everything ??
all you are is an Italian office of that Uk co ?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:12 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
hows about when u have a uk ltd co and use that as the vehicle for everything ??
all you are is an Italian office of that Uk co ?
This is a practice, but the hard up government is starting to take notice, along with internet workers. Ok, the snail pace of things here mean it will probably be years before any thing is done, but you will still have to deal with the bureaucracy of setting up residency here and getting the necessary building use permits etc. IMO
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:28 pm

This is a practice, but the hard up government is starting to take notice, along with internet workers. Ok, the snail pace of things here mean it will probably be years before any thing is done, but you will still have to deal with the bureaucracy of setting up residency here and getting the necessary building use permits etc. IMO
well I suppose thats not so bad,

for things like art therapy which I knew zero about before and twice as much now, if it requires a room setaside then that would be reasonable in the same way as many people nowadays have a dedicated office room even though they don't have a need, using it as a school room and communications room.

so building use permits would not be too much of a problem, and there may be places that can be hired on an hourly or diem basis.

thanks
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Domino
well I suppose thats not so bad,

for things like art therapy which I knew zero about before and twice as much now, if it requires a room setaside then that would be reasonable in the same way as many people nowadays have a dedicated office room even though they don't have a need, using it as a school room and communications room.

so building use permits would not be too much of a problem, and there may be places that can be hired on an hourly or diem basis.

thanks
For those who do stick to the rules, building use permits not a problem? You'd think, wouldn't you. I know people who've waited and waited......And even for just a lone room set aside there are the health and safety issues if the public will be setting foot in it Of course, evrything IS possible at a cost and I don't just mean the monetary one. Zero for me in Art Therapy for me too - well almost. There are art therapy centres in Italy so renting a room could be an easier solution, if possible.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:57 pm

For those who do stick to the rules, building use permits not a problem? You'd think, wouldn't you. I know people who've waited and waited......And even for just a lone room set aside there are the health and safety issues if the public will be setting foot in it Of course, evrything IS possible at a cost and I don't just mean the monetary one. Zero for me in Art Therapy for me too - well almost. There are art therapy centres in Italy so renting a room could be an easier solution, if possible.
well H&S is what I do, so would be cutting my throat to have an unsafe facility

presumably local mayor likes to come round and have a few jars of good stuff whilst inspecting
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:01 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I got bored reading as too many posts

Register UK business - do some work - prove you can do it -

Rent somewhere in Euro land for a month to three

Adverise your service in advance, take bookings in advance - do a trip to country of choice, see how it works out, get feedback and ask about repeat business etc

Return to the UK - carry on doing whatever it is you do?

Pretty simple route to testing the water?

I would suggest a cheap n cheerful flight to wher-ever you are considering with a bunch of fliers etc hand them out - take emails - get a database -

If you want to run a business, you need to put in hard graft to get it to work, especially in the early days -

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Aug 21st 2011 at 11:06 am. Reason: Editor
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Ok I got bored reading as too many posts

Register UK business - do some work - prove you can do it -

Rent somewhere in Euro land for a month to three

Adverise your service in advance, take bookings in advance - do a trip to country of choice, see how it works out, get feedback and ask about repeat business etc

Return to the UK - carry on doing whatever it is you do?

Pretty simple route to testing the water?

I would suggest a cheap n cheerful flight to wher-ever you are considering with a bunch of fliers etc hand them out - take emails - get a database -

If you want to run a business, you need to put in hard graft to get it to work, especially in the early days -
Art therapy just doesnt work like that though .... you would very be lucky to start a business on that basis in such a short time without some serious useful contacts in the respective countries health services
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Art therapy just doesnt work like that though .... you would very be lucky to start a business on that basis in such a short time without some serious useful contacts in the respective countries health services
I completely agree.Unfortunately it is not that easy to start a business, as you all know red tape ranks first at the issues list.

But as I said before,since I come from the South of Europe, rampant corruption discourages the opening of new businesses !!!

On top of all these consider the current crisis, North-Europe has and will have a stable financial model for the stable growth of services oriented companies !!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Europe
I completely agree.Unfortunately it is not that easy to start a business, as you all know red tape ranks first at the issues list.

But as I said before,since I come from the South of Europe, rampant corruption discourages the opening of new businesses !!!

On top of all these consider the current crisis, North-Europe has and will have a stable financial model for the stable growth of services oriented companies !!
You know, I started my business in the UK in the late 80's from my back bedroom with a fax machine and a telephone. Within 12 months I was turning over £450,00 a year. there was no hassle in starting the business, no hurdles put up in front of me. The administration side of it was quite simple. Now? I don't think I could do it, because everything seems to be there to stop you succeeding. However by making it easy for people to start businesses it's actually creating work for others, and I dont understand why the powers that be dont understand that.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You know, I started my business in the UK in the late 80's from my back bedroom with a fax machine and a telephone. Within 12 months I was turning over £450,00 a year. there was no hassle in starting the business, no hurdles put up in front of me. The administration side of it was quite simple. Now? I don't think I could do it, because everything seems to be there to stop you succeeding. However by making it easy for people to start businesses it's actually creating work for others, and I dont understand why the powers that be dont understand that.
IMHO uk is still that way
i have meeting with bank to open a business acct and all they want is co registration, 2 photo id for myself
already have a sole trader acct with no hassle.

thats why I can't see why "it would appear" F & SP & I to be hitting the potential micro\sme with paying out €oodles every month irrespective of whether they have sold a bean or not.
is this a uk prejudice in that we believe the system is there and we must follow it to the letter or else
or is it that the "locals" know about it but don't bother to tell until they have got a bit of turnover and they can afford the charges ??

I would have thought the authorities would have other things to do than chase after a micro\sme startup. If that is the case then they would also have time to catch out all the little "sidelines" by wives I have spoken about elsewhere.

Don't think too many people want to bilk the revenue, we understand what it is there for, but to be paying thru the nose when having no income is more than a bit tough

funny, I was looking at some EU Regeneration Fund information the other day and couldnt find anything +ve about the sums granted, it was all to large co's with several millions turnover, nothing for the little guys - unless it is hidden in the depths of the Chamber of Commerce or somewhere. Even R&D funding is going to the larger co's, ok it is a 50:50 deal but it is the micro\sme where the real growth could be coming from