Reload this Page >

Where in Europe - advice needed

Where in Europe - advice needed

Old Dec 15th 2013, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

emilyemily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Europe - advice needed

Hi,

I'm thinking about changing the country and would appreciate some advice. I have been living in Greece for 1.5 years, but don't want to stay here much longer. I'm a self-employed translator, doing reasonably well financially and I can easily move, having no kids or family responsibilities.

I want to choose between Spain or the Alps region/close to the Alps. My reasons would be:

For Spain:
-I speak the language fluently
-I studied there and travelled around the country, making friends was easy, people were welcoming and fair
-I loved the weather
-Anywhere in the North of Spain would suit, rather in a city
-There are mountains close, so hiking would be an option

For somewhere in the Alps:
-I am a passionate mountaineer and go hiking in the mountains wherever I can
-I speak German fluently
- Switzerland would be too expensive, also accommodation in Austria: while I could afford it, I wouldn't like to spend too much on rent
-I could imagine living in Bratislava in Slovakia, it seems to be close enough to go hiking in the Alps for a weekend or so.

Please let me know your ideas!

Much appreciated,

Emily
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where in Europe - advice needed

Have you looked at Slovenia? A small beautiful, friendly country with a bit of everything. Low crime rate, all four seasons, not too far from anywhere, that's why we choose it!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:52 am
Just Joined

I was indeed thinking about Slovenia also in fact only yesterday I was chatting to an ex-Yugoslav women about it. She told me there are about 2 mln Slovenians and all of them go hiking in the mountains during weekends According to her, the general education level in Slovenia is very high, that's an interesting point. I should probably go on a vacation there to discover the place and to get the feeling of it.

Any ideas about the other places I mentioned?

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Only, they seem to have started the dissolution of Yugoslavia, is that correct? If this is the case, they should rather be boycotted more than anything else. I am not looking forward to spending my time with, in the best case, irresponsible, in the worst criminal a***s.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emilyemily
Only, they seem to have started the dissolution of Yugoslavia, is that correct? If this is the case, they should rather be boycotted more than anything else. I am not looking forward to spending my time with, in the best case, irresponsible, in the worst criminal a***s.
I'm not sure what you mean, afaik Yugoslavia doesn't exist any more, hence Montenego, Serbia and Kosovo

Slovenia gained its independence from Yugoslavia way back in the early 90's.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:52 am
Just Joined

emmacurlin31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not sure what you mean, afaik Yugoslavia doesn't exist any more, hence Montenego, Serbia and Kosovo

Slovenia gained its independence from Yugoslavia way back in the early 90's.
I think Sweden can be the good Option. Swedish people are very good in nature and climate is also good there.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emilyemily
Hi,

I'm thinking about changing the country and would appreciate some advice. I have been living in Greece for 1.5 years, but don't want to stay here much longer. I'm a self-employed translator, doing reasonably well financially and I can easily move, having no kids or family responsibilities.

I want to choose between Spain or the Alps region/close to the Alps. My reasons would be:

For Spain:
-I speak the language fluently
-I studied there and travelled around the country, making friends was easy, people were welcoming and fair
-I loved the weather
-Anywhere in the North of Spain would suit, rather in a city
-There are mountains close, so hiking would be an option

For somewhere in the Alps:
-I am a passionate mountaineer and go hiking in the mountains wherever I can
-I speak German fluently
- Switzerland would be too expensive, also accommodation in Austria: while I could afford it, I wouldn't like to spend too much on rent
-I could imagine living in Bratislava in Slovakia, it seems to be close enough to go hiking in the Alps for a weekend or so.

Please let me know your ideas!

Much appreciated,

Emily
I think you'll find Spain a good option. Rather than going to Slovakia, you might as well go to Germany where you have better infrastructure and plenty of hiking possibilities.
Old May 29th 2015, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

PaulLungu is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're thinking about Spain, then definitely Barcelona is the place to be