Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in the EU to move to? IT sector + kids

Where in the EU to move to? IT sector + kids

Old Dec 26th 2012, 12:32 am
Account Closed

BritandDutchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in the EU to move to? IT sector + kids

We're currently in the USA. Have EU passports. Want to move back with 2 kids.

We're looking at France, Holland, Germany or Switzerland.

Any pros to one location vs the other? I have noticed pay is much less than the USA, but maybe it works out OK with lower living costs. (rent is very high in this area, there are lower rent areas but the crime is high)

Language is less of a problem in Holland, 2nd would be german but that isn't a huge issue, as most code work is English anyway.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in the EU to move to? IT sector + kids

Originally Posted by BritandDutchie

Any pros to one location vs the other? I have noticed pay is much less than the USA, but maybe it works out OK with lower living costs. (rent is very high in this area, there are lower rent areas but the crime is high)

Language is less of a problem in Holland, 2nd would be german but that isn't a huge issue, as most code work is English anyway.

I would also be interested in locations from a setting up of data centres perspective
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, from the point of view of unemployment rate and language, you should cross France off your list. You'd have stiff competition from bilingual French candidates for any jobs going, unless you set up your own business. It's not the moment to move to France without a job to come to, esp. with two children dependent on you. How old are they?
And even if your work is in English, you and the family will have to cope with the nitty gritty of actually living in a new country, coping with bureaucracy, the children's schooling, healthcare coverage, etc... It sounds as though you're happier with Germanic languages - disregard France!
Good luck with your decision!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not being pedantic, but you can't have an EU passport, it's either UK, French, German etc, they are still sovereign countries. Also don't forget that many of these countries now require a certain level of income and that you have healthcare provisions in place to become residents, not citizens, just registered as residents. Would be a good idea to investigate if there are any of these requirements where you wish to move to.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not being pedantic, but you can't have an EU passport, it's either UK, French, German etc, they are still sovereign countries. Also don't forget that many of these countries now require a certain level of income and that you have healthcare provisions in place to become residents, not citizens, just registered as residents. Would be a good idea to investigate if there are any of these requirements where you wish to move to.
I gathered from the user name that one is British and the other Dutch and that "EU" meant they were both European citizens, but you're right in saying that each country has its own laws and requirements and that they should investigate throroughly where to settle in the EU before taking the plunge.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, from the point of view of unemployment rate and language, you should cross France off your list. You'd have stiff competition from bilingual French candidates for any jobs going, unless you set up your own business. It's not the moment to move to France without a job to come to, esp. with two children dependent on you. How old are they?
And even if your work is in English, you and the family will have to cope with the nitty gritty of actually living in a new country, coping with bureaucracy, the children's schooling, healthcare coverage, etc... It sounds as though you're happier with Germanic languages - disregard France!
Good luck with your decision!
Currently we work remote for US customers, have done so for over 7 years, bu if clients where to go bust, would be good to know there is new work around.

School isn't an issue really on our minds.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
I gathered from the user name that one is British and the other Dutch and that "EU" meant they were both European citizens, but you're right in saying that each country has its own laws and requirements and that they should investigate throroughly where to settle in the EU before taking the plunge.
We can live anywhere in the EU we want unless some new law came about in the past 3 years. We've both lived in France, Belgium, NL, and UK (and USA) without an issue, why would it be an issue now?

Switzerland I know you need to apply for a permit but I read it is usually not an issue
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We can live anywhere in the EU we want unless some new law came about in the past 3 years. We've both lived in France, Belgium, NL, and UK (and USA) without an issue, why would it be an issue now?

Switzerland I know you need to apply for a permit but I read it is usually not an issue
For many of the EU countries, you now have to prove an income and that you have provisions for healthcare set up before you can register as residents. This is relatively recent and does apply to people moving within the EU. Until you register as residents you would find it difficult to get any official documentation and to do many things.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

I've never had any issues in the past, I can't imagine it becoming so much more difficult! What happened to the agreements between countries for healthcare, forgot the name but it was a little plastic card.

I can't see say moving to Belgium and being deported back to the UK, I've never heard of anything like this, is there some new law?
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Going off topic, I don't feel we will have any issue being "allowed" to live any where in the EU or Switzerland.

Which would be best though?
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not being pedantic, but you can't have an EU passport, it's either UK, French, German etc, they are still sovereign countries.
Sure you can have an EU passport, and it'll say so on the cover. They are of course issued by the member state of which the holder is a citizen, but are nonetheless evidence of EU citizenship:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...European_Union

There are some non-EU British passports too, just to make things more complicated.

Also don't forget that many of these countries now require a certain level of income ...
No, not if you're moving there to work.

... and that you have healthcare provisions in place ...
Public provision of health care varies quite a bit between EU countries, so it's worth looking into this, and seeing if potential employers provide top-up insurance.

Last edited by brioche; Dec 26th 2012 at 4:59 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

I must say I can't imagine anywhere in the EU with a worse healthcare system than we currently are experiencing in the USA

I didn't have an issue seeing a doctor in Paris or Brussels, this was 11 years ago, I'd suspect things got easier not worse?

We have our own business currently as long as we have wifi..... we're peachy. But want to be somewhere that there ARE good IT jobs in case my husband wants to get more work/new work. So say the middle of a no where won't work.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:23 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please go into everything very carefully.
Things have changed in Europe since you lived here and, with all due respect, school SHOULD be an issue. Younger children can settle in a foreign school more easily if they're of Primary school age, but adolescents are a different matter, unless they go to an International School.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
Please go into everything very carefully.
Things have changed in Europe since you lived here and, with all due respect, school SHOULD be an issue. Younger children can settle in a foreign school more easily if they're of Primary school age, but adolescents are a different matter, unless they go to an International School.
Can you tell me what has changed in the past 3 years then?

And schooling isn't your concern, it's not what I asked about either. What a warm welcome! I must say people who tell me "well they may not speak english there" when I speak of moving, maybe it's good, they can't argue then ay?
Old Dec 26th 2012, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by brioche

No, not if you're moving there to work.

Sorry, yes, you have to show that you will have sufficient income every month, so need a job of some sort or be a pensioner. There is a right of movement within the EU, but that isn't an automatic right to become residents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.