Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

When/how can a Dutch National apply for British nationality?

When/how can a Dutch National apply for British nationality?

Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Mr-Singh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question When/how can a Dutch National apply for British nationality?

Hi all

I am a Dutch National who has been living in the United Kingdom over 5 years now.

Since I have arrived in UK I have always worked and never applied for any benefit. I have also registered myself for citizenship card in 2007, which is valid for 5 years.

I was hoping if someone could help/guide me with the information how/when to apply for British Nationally?

Your help with this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Mr-Singh
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When/how can a Dutch National apply for British nationality?

Originally Posted by Mr-Singh
Hi all

I am a Dutch National who has been living in the United Kingdom over 5 years now.

Since I have arrived in UK I have always worked and never applied for any benefit. I have also registered myself for citizenship card in 2007, which is valid for 5 years.

I was hoping if someone could help/guide me with the information how/when to apply for British Nationally?

Your help with this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Mr-Singh
Here you go ... if you really want to, the information is HERE

But as an EU citizen you are quite at liberty indefinately to live and work in the UK without taking citizenship.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Are you married to a British citizen?

If not, you may lose your Dutch citizenship upon becoming a British citizen, unless you fall into one of the few other exceptions for keeping Dutch citizenship upon acquisition of another.

Would that be a problem?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:25 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Here you go ... if you really want to, the information is HERE

But as an EU citizen you are quite at liberty indefinately to live and work in the UK without taking citizenship.

Second that, besides you cannot hold a Dutch nationality and a British one.The Dutch authorities do not like you having two nationalities. But if you already hold another nationality and become Dutch there is no problem in having two!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you married to a British citizen?

If not, you may lose your Dutch citizenship upon becoming a British citizen, unless you fall into one of the few other exceptions for keeping Dutch citizenship upon acquisition of another.

Would that be a problem?
No I am not married to a British citizen and I don't mind loosing my dutch citizenship upon becoming a British citizen.

Do you perhaps know the right procedure for a Dutch National who has been in UK over 5 years to apply for British Nationally? such as what documents are required and if I have to do the citizenship test?

Really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks
Mr-Singh
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Second that, besides you cannot hold a Dutch nationality and a British one.
False ... there are circumstances where this is allowed.

The Dutch authorities do not like you having two nationalities. But if you already hold another nationality and become Dutch there is no problem in having two!
Also not true! In the majority of circumstances, new Dutch citizens must formally renounce their former nationality.

The main exemption concerns spouses.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

No I am not married to a British citizen and I don't mind loosing my dutch citizenship upon becoming a British citizen.

Do you perhaps know the right procedure for a Dutch National who has been in UK over 5 years to apply for British Nationally? such as what documents are required and if I have to do the citizenship test?

Really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks
Mr-Singh
Did you not look at the link I gave you above??
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:56 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by JAJ
False ... there are circumstances where this is allowed.

Also not true! In the majority of circumstances, new Dutch citizens must formally renounce their former nationality.

The main exemption concerns spouses.
I may be totally wrong, but I think Casa is Dutch
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:06 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I may be totally wrong, but I think Casa is Dutch
So inspector Clouseau you know your facts........One half is Dutch the other half has live with the other half for some years...get it?

I am confused by the accusation of the information I posted was incorrect..(or false as JAJ) says. I stated the following "Second that, besides you cannot hold a Dutch nationality and a British one.The Dutch authorities do not like you having two nationalities. But if you already hold another nationality and become Dutch there is no problem in having two!"
and JAJ says "If not, you may lose your Dutch citizenship upon becoming a British citizen, unless you fall into one of the few other exceptions for keeping Dutch citizenship upon acquisition of another."

I thought we said the same thing...you will loose your Dutch Nationality.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Sep 16th 2009 at 6:13 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Did you not look at the link I gave you above??
I did look at the link you provided, but I couldn’t find the information I wanted.

I was hoping if someone had experienced this before and could share the information with me or perhaps someone knows the steps?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:00 pm
Senior Moment

I did look at the link you provided, but I couldn’t find the information I wanted.

I was hoping if someone had experienced this before and could share the information with me or perhaps someone knows the steps?
Im not sure why you couldnt see it. You only have to look - Its a sublink for citizenship on that page and takes you to this

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

You have to try to do some of the work yourself