Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:13 am
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice
Default What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

Just why do brits abroad seem to think that EVERY country they visit has to be a miniature version of the " Mother" country? Paella and chips,Squid and peas,and as long as the local beer is Watney's....what the hell !!
I'm so glad that as soon as I hit 16 I was in the Brit military and began to REALLY travel, not just for holidays, to other lands, where I LIVED among the people...learning their language, their customs, and generally trying my best to be as unobtrusive as possible.
I'm in Illinois USA right now, but my wife and myself plan to move to Nerja real soon. We are lookin' forward to some Sun Sea and Sangria and all that a Spanish lifestyle has to offer, and not to be surrounded by whinging ex pats of ANY nationality, to whom I offer the following advice....if you don't like where you are...no-one made you move there, and no-one is making you stay either !!! Furthermore, if I still lived in the UK, I'm not so sure I'd want people from other lands to know exactly where I came from ( this is based on the news I have seen from the old country in the last 3 years, and the tales related to me by family and friends alike !!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:47 am
Just Joined

LYNZRAB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

Well Said, We Are A Scottish Couple Moving Soon To Foreign Climes, We Are Learning The Lingo And Cant Wait To Go And Appreciate The Local Customs And Delicacies, The Reason We Are Moving Is To Get Away From All The Beaurocracy And Red Tape Here In The Uk And It Will Be The Last Thing On Our Minds When We Get To Our Destination.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

Originally Posted by expat01
Just why do brits abroad seem to think that EVERY country they visit has to be a miniature version of the " Mother" country? Paella and chips,Squid and peas,and as long as the local beer is Watney's....what the hell !!
I'm so glad that as soon as I hit 16 I was in the Brit military and began to REALLY travel, not just for holidays, to other lands, where I LIVED among the people...learning their language, their customs, and generally trying my best to be as unobtrusive as possible.
I'm in Illinois USA right now, but my wife and myself plan to move to Nerja real soon. We are lookin' forward to some Sun Sea and Sangria and all that a Spanish lifestyle has to offer, and not to be surrounded by whinging ex pats of ANY nationality, to whom I offer the following advice....if you don't like where you are...no-one made you move there, and no-one is making you stay either !!! Furthermore, if I still lived in the UK, I'm not so sure I'd want people from other lands to know exactly where I came from ( this is based on the news I have seen from the old country in the last 3 years, and the tales related to me by family and friends alike !!!
sounds like you're having a bit of a winge if you ask me

bet you're thankful there will only be Spanish people in Nerja
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Very true - but the British who do that would be equally as dumb back home. Fortunately there are a few - a very few - who are grown up.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:59 am
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
sounds like you're having a bit of a winge if you ask me

bet you're thankful there will only be Spanish people in Nerja

Hi Jerry Springer (he's an idiot too, but a rich one ! )
Seen some of your other purile offerings on here, and far from being vindictive in my reply, just keep taking the meds dear boy, and I,m sure your bad dreams will stop soon !
Just promise me that retards like you aren't gonna be in Spain, although I'm sure their immigration policy favours handicapped people such as you !
Are you REALLY proud to say you're British ????? If so.....welcome to the minority !! Furthermore, if you think that only Spanish people live in Spain....well, that just goes to show me that you,ve never been more than 30 paces from your back door ol' man !

Last edited by expat01; Sep 28th 2004 at 11:01 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Furthermore, if you think that only Spanish people live in Spain....well
precisely! the OP is looking forward to a life away from expatriate people and is going to Nerja. What percentage of his neighbours do you think will be Spanish?

You don't want to be vindictive but you call me handicapped? How mature.....
Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

kathml is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

So you will be living in Nerja among all the other expats!!! get a life !! you think that living elsewhere will sort all your problems ???? Good luck!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Are you REALLY proud to say you're British ????? If so.....welcome to the minority !!
I'm in the minority of people proud to be British? What is your source for that statistic?

Am I proud to be British? Well, what does 'being proud' actually mean? Britain is a country that afforded me a good basic education, work opportunities and a good standard of living. In turn, these have given me opportunities to travel overseas, to work overseas and be eligible to live in certain countries. (For sure, without the basic education and work experience, I would have not had such opportunities to live abroad.) The working conditions in Britain can be excellent and fair; the country is politically stable and economically strong. I have had access to modern healthcare, running water, and many many other things. In a nutshell, Britain has provided me with a lot that I am thankful for. Of course it has social and political problems - what westernised country doesn't? The problems of the nation don't make me want to run and hide from my roots. Why should they? I won't suddenly become ashamed of my nationality when times are bad and suddenly rejoice at it during times of prestige. Taking the good with the bad is part and parcel of reality. So yes, I am proud to be British.

Why are you so ashamed to be British?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Why are you so ashamed to be British?
I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but from my perspective I'm not ashamed to be British, just ashamed when people assume that because I'm British I am like the moronic politicians/oafs/tourists etc who give the country such a pleasant reputation overseas.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

alifrank1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LYNZRAB1
Well Said, We Are A Scottish Couple Moving Soon To Foreign Climes, We Are Learning The Lingo And Cant Wait To Go And Appreciate The Local Customs And Delicacies, The Reason We Are Moving Is To Get Away From All The Beaurocracy And Red Tape Here In The Uk And It Will Be The Last Thing On Our Minds When We Get To Our Destination.
As long as you are not moving to Spain you may be ok. If you think there is beaurocracy and red tape here, then you will be in for a shock over there ... it's far worse! And not forgetting the corruption by beaurocrats and and the friendly ex-pats you meet that would stab you in the back for a pint! If you haven't spent a large amount of time there yet, I'd get a long rental and see if you think it's a better country to live in.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about, we have homes in both countries and I came to the conclusion a long time ago that apart from the weather, the UK is still a great country to live in.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Dont like to pour cold water on your theories. I have lived in Spain for over 8 years and speak reasonable Spanish - you will find out for yourself why people as you say "whinge" some have very good reasons - if you read my thread Buyer Beware and I thought I knew everything I needed to without making mistakes.

When you live here full time you will soon see through the rose-tinted spectacles!!

Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Hear Hear!! Agree with you whole-heartedly except I would never go back to UK to live full-time. Would like to know from anyone else where is a good place to live apart from Spain where most of the time you are viewed as a second-class citizen - even when you speak reasonable Spanish!!

Originally Posted by alifrank1
As long as you are not moving to Spain you may be ok. If you think there is beaurocracy and red tape here, then you will be in for a shock over there ... it's far worse! And not forgetting the corruption by beaurocrats and and the friendly ex-pats you meet that would stab you in the back for a pint! If you haven't spent a large amount of time there yet, I'd get a long rental and see if you think it's a better country to live in.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about, we have homes in both countries and I came to the conclusion a long time ago that apart from the weather, the UK is still a great country to live in.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Hear Hear!! Agree with you whole-heartedly except I would never go back to UK to live full-time. Would like to know from anyone else where is a good place to live apart from Spain where most of the time you are viewed as a second-class citizen - even when you speak reasonable Spanish!!
Greece - without a doubt.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

britsinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: What IS wrong with the Brits abroad

Squid and peas....what the hell !!
FYI Squid and peas is a traditional spanish dish HONEST although it is not covered in batter !!!
I think it really depends on the area that you live in, I am in a very Spanish seaside village with very few expats except in the summer, when I normally flee to other sunnier climes!!
I generally find that there are 5 types of expat living in this area of the Costa Blanca
1: Retirees ready to mingle with Spanish, learn the language and eat the food.
2: Retirees who want everything British barely know how to say Hola and thats the way it is going to stay and shouldn't they cater for us as we spend so much money here ??
3: People fleeing the law, their romantic problems or general life failures who chose Spain because of cheap fags and booze and it's promixity to the UK and numerous budget airlines.
4: People who see Spain as an opportunity to live a fruitful hardworking life but in the glorius Spanish sunshine, enrol in language classes, mix and live with the natives and contribute to their communities.
5: Those that were crooks, conmen and gansters in the UK and Ireland who see the area as PRIME PICKINGS for their illicit activities

Hope I haven't offended any one, just my personal observation
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

big dave is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, i totally agree with the original post.

I now live in estonia, and the last thing I want is good old british tucker! Now dont get me wrong, i was a chef for best part of 12 years (and a good one at that), and the local cuisine is excellent and varied.

I am also amazed at how many pompous assholes there are in the UK, even my closest friends back in the UK talk down to me, as if i live in some backward country! You dont notice is until you leave.....no chance of going back either IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.