Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happens to bank accounts when leaving the UK?

What happens to bank accounts when leaving the UK?

Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens to bank accounts when leaving the UK?

And another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

What happens to bank accounts when you tell your bank about your new address which happens to be abroad? Are you allowed to keep a UK bank account?

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 13th 2020 at 10:47 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 8:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to bank accounts when leaving the UK?

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
And another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

What happens to bank accounts when you tell your bank about your new address which happens to be abroad? Are you allowed to keep a UK bank account?
I kept my English Bank Account which was transferred "off-shore" when I informed them of my permanent move. This was several decades ago and the procedure might be different nowadays.
P.S. Obviously a new bank account must be opened in the country where one moves to.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell them you live abroad - no problem. All UK accounts registered to EU address, CCs arrive in the post all normal when they expire all transactions done online except for occassional call.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Just tell them you live abroad - no problem. All UK accounts registered to EU address, CCs arrive in the post all normal when they expire all transactions done online except for occassional call.
True, but the OP should know that it's advisable, if not compulsory, to open a bank account in the European country of residence,. The Tax Office for example, would wonder why a Tax-Resident is regularly paying from a foreign bank, or a landlord would hesitate to accept payment of rent from a foreign bank, not to mention the fluctuating exchange rate and Commissions on all payments between £Sterling and Euros (and even transactions between two Euro countries). And Social Security rembursements and benefits would only be transferred to a local Bank Account (at least in France).
(I only use my English Bank Card for when I visit family and I don't do any transfers to my French Account)
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Of course. But what if someone relocates for several years to... let's say Elbonia for not to offend anyone, where banking system is not terribly reliable.

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 14th 2020 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
Of course. But what if someone relocates for several years to... let's say Elbonia, for not to offend anyone, where banking system is not terribly reliable.
OK, but seeing that you're asking about EU countries in your other threads, I presumed, rightly or wrongly, that this thread also concerned the EU.
If you're still asking on behalf of your friend, then, due to his circumstances, I wouldn't recommend relocating to such a country....
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
OK, but seeing that you're asking about EU countries in your other threads, I presumed, rightly or wrongly, that this thread also concerned the EU.
If you're still asking on behalf of your friend, then, due to his circumstances, I wouldn't recommend relocating to such a country....
No, please consider this thread in isolation to any other of my or my friend's questions.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Its always useful to keep at least one UK bank account open. I have used the Nationwide BS for the last 10 years..
Old Jun 14th 2020, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
True, but the OP should know that it's advisable, if not compulsory, to open a bank account in the European country of residence,. The Tax Office for example, would wonder why a Tax-Resident is regularly paying from a foreign bank, or a landlord would hesitate to accept payment of rent from a foreign bank, not to mention the fluctuating exchange rate and Commissions on all payments between £Sterling and Euros (and even transactions between two Euro countries). And Social Security rembursements and benefits would only be transferred to a local Bank Account (at least in France).
(I only use my English Bank Card for when I visit family and I don't do any transfers to my French Account)
Yes, of course do that as well , even have a Spanish mortgage !! UK bank account useful for occassional visits there but becoming less so as cards like Transferwise, Revolut etc making cross-border currency movements redundant .
Old Jun 18th 2020, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

I've been asking this question recently as we're planning on moving back to Holland from the UK in the not too far distant future; it seems that the only reason that UK citizens were able to open a bank account from abroad up until now was that EU rules said they had to. Once the UK leaves the EU, those rules will no longer apply and it will be up to the bank whether they offer the service, the ones I asked said they haven't published the new rules yet, but I got a hint from a couple that free banking for non-UK residents would be gone.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
I've been asking this question recently as we're planning on moving back to Holland from the UK in the not too far distant future; it seems that the only reason that UK citizens were able to open a bank account from abroad up until now was that EU rules said they had to. Once the UK leaves the EU, those rules will no longer apply and it will be up to the bank whether they offer the service, the ones I asked said they haven't published the new rules yet, but I got a hint from a couple that free banking for non-UK residents would be gone.
most UK banks will not allow non residents to open an account. We still have free banking.
After
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
most UK banks will not allow non residents to open an account. We still have free banking.
After
This link was part of my investigation; my daughter was allowed to keep her account at HSBC because of this, but that was before Brexit.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
This link was part of my investigation; my daughter was allowed to keep her account at HSBC because of this, but that was before Brexit.
I have HSBC accounts in Canada,UK and France opened in that chronological order. There was no difference between EU counties and non-EU.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

bev12bev is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: What happens to bank accounts when leaving the UK?

I have a problem, living in Netherlands, have a Lloyds bank acct in UK, just received letter stating they are closing all accounts for people who live outside UK. Anyone know of a bank account i can get where my flat in UK, rental payments can be paid into, looked into off shore accounts but i don't have loads of money

Are there any online only ones for us expats to have, that accept money from UK and i can transfer over to my Dutch bank? Or any sites i can look at? or ask?
Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2020, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bev12bev
I have a problem, living in Netherlands, have a Lloyds bank acct in UK, just received letter stating they are closing all accounts for people who live outside UK. Anyone know of a bank account i can get where my flat in UK, rental payments can be paid into, looked into off shore accounts but i don't have loads of money

Are there any online only ones for us expats to have, that accept money from UK and i can transfer over to my Dutch bank? Or any sites i can look at? or ask?
Thanks
Have a look at the Transferwise account and debit card . They give you a normal bank account in Belgium with full IBAN etc which can accept various currencies. Almost instanteous deposit and easy to transfer out of or shop with its debit card

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.