Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

what to do when you feel home sick but dont know what it is that you miss

what to do when you feel home sick but dont know what it is that you miss

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

bardine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to do when you feel home sick but dont know what it is that you miss

hey everyone just found this site and have been reading everything i can find of people in belgium for the past hour!!
ok so where to start i feel very homesick for the uk you know the thing friends and salt and vinegar crisps haha!! sad i know! i miss the laugh i had with people i knew and wrked with!!
i have lived in belgium for 5 years now bought a house and settled down but i keep thinking of the uk i just cant seem to get it out of my head!! i moved here with my parents but since then they have unfortunatly split up and have moved back to the uk and my brother lives in oz!! even though i am practically married i still miss it all that i had in england although i was a teenager and didnt actually have anything compared to what i have now i still miss it haha
can anyone els underztand this and if you have any homsicknes rememdies i would be much appriciated to hear them
thanks!
nerderlaands is ook geen probleem als je liever in die taal zou willen spreken!
gretjes xx bardine
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do when you feel home sick but dont know what it is that you miss

Being in Belgium you're only a short trip away from the UK, so go home for the weekend now and again. I do it from Spain!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: what to do when you feel home sick but dont know what it is that you miss

Ja , Bruxelles is long-already worldly well-renowned for some sprouts , of various sorts !
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I sometimes feel really homesick too. We're going back for our summer holiday. Knowing that helps. I have been warned by other, more experienced, expats that within 5 minutes of being back in the chaos I'll have had enough. We'll see.

So what are you really missing? Is it the life you remember as a teenager there? Remember, that's gone now, even if you were still in the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
I sometimes feel really homesick too. We're going back for our summer holiday. Knowing that helps. I have been warned by other, more experienced, expats that within 5 minutes of being back in the chaos I'll have had enough. We'll see.

So what are you really missing? Is it the life you remember as a teenager there? Remember, that's gone now, even if you were still in the UK.
Being home sick we can understand. Missing some food items from the UK we can understand. But those food items, or stuff very similar can easily be found. For example, we cannot find any sort of curry ingredients here in Galicia. So every visitor from U.K. or The Netherlands is obliged to bring something with them. when Lidl recently had some curry flavoured Pringles for sale we must have bought up the whole stock, we were that desperate.
What are you missing? We don’t know you, obviously, but maybe it is speaking your mother tongue or just down to some cultural differences. However Ian, who is English, misses The Netherlands more than the U.K.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I miss cream eggs.

But more than anything, I miss the English countryside. Rolling green hills, oak and other deciduous forests, walking through all the dried leaves and driving down winding country lanes on a warm summer day. Here in Sweden its just miles after miles of fir trees.

And I miss the absence of bloody ticks and mosquitos. Here in the forests of Sweden it like a bloomin invasion. My daughter looks like she's got bubonic plague.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Being home sick we can understand. Missing some food items from the UK we can understand. But those food items, or stuff very similar can easily be found. For example, we cannot find any sort of curry ingredients here in Galicia. So every visitor from U.K. or The Netherlands is obliged to bring something with them. when Lidl recently had some curry flavoured Pringles for sale we must have bought up the whole stock, we were that desperate.
What are you missing? We don’t know you, obviously, but maybe it is speaking your mother tongue or just down to some cultural differences. However Ian, who is English, misses The Netherlands more than the U.K.
So what curry ingredients are you missing? I've mastered the art of producing curry house type curries from local ingredients.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:49 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess

So what curry ingredients are you missing? I've mastered the art of producing curry house type curries from local ingredients.
Like we said all curry ingredients. There is nothing here.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Like we said all curry ingredients. There is nothing here.
Can you not even buy spices? We can here and we're living in the middle of flippin nowhere.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

bardine is an unknown quantity at this point

haha loved the replies!! i think its more the humour that i miss i live in a small village called knesselare and everyone knows everyone something im not used to but do find it helpfull occasoinally!
I do indeed miss speaking my mother tongue! i miss the work i used to do as well i trained to be a child psycologist and now i work in the local supermarket theres a first for everything i suppose!
i dont know really i just get bouts of homesicknes but i think its also because i have no family around me!
its gone after a day or two or till i ask friends to post silly things from the uk!
well it was great reading all the replies!
take care xx