Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Living in Barcelona

Living in Barcelona

Old Oct 9th 2001, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

wetware is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I've been reading this group for a while and now it's time to post....!
I'm a dual-citizen of the UK and the USA, and will be leaving the US shortly to live and work in Barcelona, I'd be grateful if anyone out there can explain to me how the tax situation works between the EU (Spain) and the USA, I don't want to be liable for taxes in both countries!
If anyone has any more general info they would like to pass on about the pros and cons of living in Barcelona I would grateful for that as well....
Thanks in advance!!
Doug
Old Oct 11th 2001, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

wetware is an unknown quantity at this point

bump up
Old Oct 18th 2001, 3:33 pm
Siska

Generally, if you make less than US$75.000 you do not have to pay the US anything.
BUt you do have to file your taxes. If you make more then I'm not exactly sure but
you may owe the US a %. If you are being transferred by a US company they should take
care of that stuff for you. I suggested you talk to their auditors, they should know.

On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:35:23 GMT, wetware <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 21st 2001, 3:55 pm
TðMá§

There's also something about taxes you pay to another government become a US tax
credit. And I think the 70 or 75k dollars applies if you stay out of the US that
year. Obviously you need to consult a tax professional.

Siska wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Hi everyone, I've been reading this group for a while and now it's time to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >post....! I'm a dual-citizen of the UK and the USA, and will be leaving the US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >shortly to live and work in Barcelona, I'd be grateful if anyone out there can[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >explain to me how the tax situation works between the EU (Spain) and the USA, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >don't want to be liable for taxes in both countries! If anyone has any more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >general info they would like to pass on about the pros and cons of living in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Barcelona I would grateful for that as well.... Thanks in advance!! Doug[/usenetquote2]