Visa?

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

thebluecamel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa?

Hi, I'm new here...

I am in the UK but am looking to move to another European country. Do I need to apply for a work visa when I move, or is that only for countries outside the EU (such as the US etc...)?

Thanks in anticipation!

Samuel.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa?

If you are a British Citizen then you can work anywhere in Europe, if you can get a job without a visa or permit.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

thebluecamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
If you are a British Citizen then you can work anywhere in Europe, if you can get a job without a visa or permit.
Thanks for that - I thought so but wanted to check. I don't have to worry about getting a job because I own my own business which is web based so I can work from any country

Thanks again.

Samuel.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebluecamel
Thanks for that - I thought so but wanted to check. I don't have to worry about getting a job because I own my own business which is web based so I can work from any country

Thanks again.

Samuel.
You will be ok then, but setting up a business in Spain can be a nightmare, so its possible the same in the rest of Europe.
Depending on where you go get a local advisor to help set it up cos they know all the ins and outs and will probably save you a lot of time and money on red tape etc.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:39 pm
Blue Manc

eng1and is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have a similar question - I'm a Brit, currently living in the US with my (American) wife and 4 dual citizen UK/US lads. I have been offered a 1+ year contract in Florence, Italy which we are planning to accept. Not concerned about the 5 of us who possess UK passports, but interested in hearing the best and quickest way to getting my wife a visa legal status to live in Italy. Anybody out there been through this?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Dont know about visas, but try http://florence.usconsulate.gov/mission/ OR http://italy.usembassy.gov/acs/
Old Dec 31st 2006, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Ermm, I thought EU only. So that rules Switzerland, Norway, Rumania, Bulgaria, etc. out.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Toontje
Ermm, I thought EU only. So that rules Switzerland, Norway, Rumania, Bulgaria, etc. out.

I stand corrected, I should of said community, apparently you have to get a permit from your employer in some other countries of Europe that are not in the community.
http://www.anyworkanywhere.com/visas_ch.html
Old Jan 1st 2007, 4:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Bulgaria and Romania are now in the EU, but there is a seven year transition period during which some restrictions can be maintained.

Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are in the European Economic Area so normal EU rules on free movement of labour apply.

Switzerland is progressively dropping its restrictions on EU member state citizens working in that country as the result of an agreement signed with the EU.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 4:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eng1and
Hi, I have a similar question - I'm a Brit, currently living in the US with my (American) wife and 4 dual citizen UK/US lads. I have been offered a 1+ year contract in Florence, Italy which we are planning to accept. Not concerned about the 5 of us who possess UK passports, but interested in hearing the best and quickest way to getting my wife a visa legal status to live in Italy. Anybody out there been through this?
Assuming you have only a green card and not US citizenship, have you thought about what will happen to your green card when you leave the US, and about the pros and cons of becoming a naturalised US citizen?

Regarding Italy, you can sponsor your wife for an Italian visa based on your EU member state citizenship.

The easiest way for your wife to get the right to move easily around Europe would be to become a naturalised British citizen. Three years residence in the United Kingdom required for that.

Did you get your sons British-style birth certificates from the Embassy as well as British passports?
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JAJ
Bulgaria and Romania are now in the EU, but there is a seven year transition period during which some restrictions can be maintained.

Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are in the European Economic Area so normal EU rules on free movement of labour apply.

Switzerland is progressively dropping its restrictions on EU member state citizens working in that country as the result of an agreement signed with the EU.
Thanks for the info, sounds typical of Europe
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:20 pm
Blue Manc

eng1and is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Assuming you have only a green card and not US citizenship, have you thought about what will happen to your green card when you leave the US, and about the pros and cons of becoming a naturalised US citizen?

Regarding Italy, you can sponsor your wife for an Italian visa based on your EU member state citizenship.

The easiest way for your wife to get the right to move easily around Europe would be to become a naturalised British citizen. Three years residence in the United Kingdom required for that.

Did you get your sons British-style birth certificates from the Embassy as well as British passports?

Thanks - forgot to mention that I'm a dual US/UK citizen also - don't think there are any issues with leaving the US for a period of time? I only applied for British passports - do you know if there is there a benefit to getting the British style birth certificates for them? I plan on calling around this week to see what I can do to sponsor my wife for a visa... not planning on living back in the UK for 3 years at this stage.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by eng1and
Thanks - forgot to mention that I'm a dual US/UK citizen also - don't think there are any issues with leaving the US for a period of time?
Not a problem if you are a US citizen. However you will need to maintain a US passport and also continue filing US federal tax returns (although you may not need to pay anything due to foreign income exclusions and foreign tax credits).

I only applied for British passports - do you know if there is there a benefit to getting the British style birth certificates for them?
I would think so. Although there is a cost, it provides a lifetime proof of their British citizenship (can make passport renewal much easier, especially in emergencies) and may also be useful in dealing with schools, employers etc in the UK.

Contact the British Embassy in Washington DC. There is no time limit for obtaining these certificates. If you have problems with the Embassy then contact:

Nationality & Consular Registration Section
Consular Directorate
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building, London SW1A 2PA.

tel: +44 20 7008 1500

You should be aware your children are British citizens by descent and hence there are restrictions on their ability to pass on their British citizenship to any of their future children (ie your grandchildren) if they are also born outside the UK.

Home Office leaflet BN4 is a "must read":
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...?view=Standard