Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK resident driving non-UK car in UK

UK resident driving non-UK car in UK

Old Dec 23rd 2016, 8:54 am
Just Joined

aleccamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK resident driving non-UK car in UK

I'm a UK resident working for a company in Bulgaria. I will be driving a company car (registered in Bulgaria) across Europe in January and want to take it into the UK as well.

I understand that UK laws prohibit UK residents driving a non-UK registered vehicle in the country unless it is a company car. Does anyone know what documentation I need to show to prove that the car is company owned and I am employee of the company?

Many thanks,
Alec Campbell
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK resident driving non-UK car in UK

What exactly do you mean when you say "I am a UK resident ...."? That sounds contradictory to saying that you're "working for a company in Bulgaria".
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What exactly do you mean when you say "I am a UK resident ...."? That sounds contradictory to saying that you're "working for a company in Bulgaria".
I'm guessing, but I think he's saying he's a UKC living in the UK but employed by a Bulgarian company.

If the EU registered car is owned by the company then I see no problem. It'd just be the same as driving an EU registered hire car into the UK.

He's right that if the car was owned by him personally, he couldn't legally drive it in the UK.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm guessing, but I think he's saying he's a UKC living in the UK but employed by a Bulgarian company.

If the EU registered car is owned by the company then I see no problem. It'd just be the same as driving an EU registered hire car into the UK. .....
I think you're right, but until we know where he's actually living and where he's actually working Mr Campbell isn't going to get a definite answer.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're right, but until we know where he's actually living and where he's actually working Mr Campbell isn't going to get a definite answer.
True.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

aleccamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for not being clear on that. I meant exactly what Novocastrian suggested - UK resident working for a Bulgarian company driving a Bulgarian company car. While I know it's possible to drive it in the UK (according to EU law), what would I need to show as proof if I was stopped by the police? All the documents for the car are in Bulgarian.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by aleccamp
Sorry for not being clear on that. I meant exactly what Novocastrian suggested - UK resident working for a Bulgarian company driving a Bulgarian company car. While I know it's possible to drive it in the UK (according to EU law), what would I need to show as proof if I was stopped by the police? All the documents for the car are in Bulgarian.
I'd have thought that just that would suffice but if you're worried, get a certified translation of the ownership document.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd have thought that just that would suffice but if you're worried, get a certified translation of the ownership document.
If there is something in the registration and insurance documents that shows the corporation name, then a copy of Alecamp's pay slip that shows the same corporation name (assuming that the alphabet is the same or the name is sufficiently similar to make the match "obvious"), should be sufficient to prove that the vehicle is registered in his employer's name.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 23rd 2016 at 4:16 pm.