Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Account with Online Banking For Non Resident?

UK Bank Account with Online Banking For Non Resident?

Old Aug 12th 2014, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

RedYeti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Bank Account with Online Banking For Non Resident?

I've trawled all over the place looking at this:

Is there a UK based bank that allows someone originally from the UK but now non-resident (living in Scandinavia) to open an account (i.e. one with a sort code), and administer that account online?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank Account with Online Banking For Non Resident?

Originally Posted by RedYeti
I've trawled all over the place looking at this:

Is there a UK based bank that allows someone originally from the UK but now non-resident (living in Scandinavia) to open an account (i.e. one with a sort code), and administer that account online?

Thanks!

I opened a bank account with Santander whilst I lived in Spain. I needed to provide them with utility bills / proof of address / passport and of course it involved me going to the UK to finalise it all.

I also held two other bank accounts in the UK and several credit cards from before I moved, and the banks / credit card companies were aware I was not a UK resident (one was HSBC)
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I opened a bank account with Santander whilst I lived in Spain. I needed to provide them with utility bills / proof of address / passport and of course it involved me going to the UK to finalise it all.

I also held two other bank accounts in the UK and several credit cards from before I moved, and the banks / credit card companies were aware I was not a UK resident (one was HSBC)
Thanks! I was looking at the Santander site and it seemed to indicate they might accommodate it. I'll call them.

I think most (all?) the banks are happy for you to be abroad but some balk at opening an account (Co-operative Bank) and some balk at you using the online banking abroad (Halifax).
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I was looking at the Santander site and it seemed to indicate they might accommodate it. I'll call them.

I think most (all?) the banks are happy for you to be abroad but some balk at opening an account (Co-operative Bank) and some balk at you using the online banking abroad (Halifax).
You're right. It's the same with savings accounts, ISA's etc etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

So, Santander say... no. They will only open a new account if you are UK Resident.

So do HSBC, Coop and Nationwide.

However Cater Allen Private Bank will open a private UK bank account, if you live abroad. It's free if the balance is over £5K. If it's under £5K it's £15 a month.

However.... Halifax then told me "No it's fine to stay with us and use Internet banking if you move abroad". Which is rather contrary to what I read!

So I've actually stayed with the Halifax after all. I'll post here if it turns out that the woman I spoke to was wrong, but since she'd worked on the phones there for 23 years I had to trust her
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So, Santander say... no. They will only open a new account if you are UK Resident.

However Cater Allen Private Bank will open a private UK bank account, if you live abroad. It's free if the balance is over £5K. If it's under £5K it's £15 a month.

However.... Halifax then told me "No it's fine to stay with us and use Internet banking if you move abroad". Which is rather contrary to what I read!

So I've actually stayed with the Halifax after all. I'll post here if it turns out that the woman I spoke to was wrong, but since she'd worked on the phones there for 23 years I had to trust her
They do it if you're a Premier customer. For that you'll need to deposit an amount roughly equal to $100K in your local currency and they'll then open an account in any other country or countries you ask for at no charge. You can manage all the accounts online using a system they call GlobalView.

Note that you don't have to put the $100K in a low earning savings account; what we did was to transfer an amount from my retirement saving accounts into HSBC managed mutual funds. They've done at least as well as previous fund managers with it.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Well ... they opened one for me in full knowledge that I was not a UK resident. I just had to provide proof of address in Spain and also an address in the UK (could be family)
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Halifax account while I lived in Spain, and it was fine, even used internet banking with them, however, if you do move, then it's a PITA, as you have to provide a lot of proof of your new address and send it in. I usually waited till I was in the UK, then just went into a branch and changed it there, much quicker and simpler.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

@mikelincs Strangely since I had setup Telephone Banking with them - I could do it all over the phone once I'd passed security. I was pretty surprised myself!

@Mitzyboy - they say that now they need to credit score you and unless you have a current UK address they can't do it. I really persisted - no go!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:00 pm
Senior Moment

@mikelincs Strangely since I had setup Telephone Banking with them - I could do it all over the phone once I'd passed security. I was pretty surprised myself!

@Mitzyboy - they say that now they need to credit score you and unless you have a current UK address they can't do it. I really persisted - no go!
Thats good of them .... a credit score, so that you can deposit money with them

Whatever next!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats good of them .... a credit score, so that you can deposit money with them

Whatever next!
Yes I agree - hardly as if they need to worry about your credit score if you are actually giving them your money. It's the increasing paranoia about risk that seems to be everywhere these days I think.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 8:47 am
Just Joined

ANNETTEFRANCE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , My mum died recently and as i am an only child her savings Under £20,000 and her house came to me. I live in France and my son who has lived with my mum for the past 2 years is continuing to stay in the house. The bank won't open an account for me as i am not a UK resident! I need to pay the bills and Council tax how can i do this if i can't open an account ?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 9:25 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANNETTEFRANCE
Hi , My mum died recently and as i am an only child her savings Under £20,000 and her house came to me. I live in France and my son who has lived with my mum for the past 2 years is continuing to stay in the house. The bank won't open an account for me as i am not a UK resident! I need to pay the bills and Council tax how can i do this if i can't open an account ?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the France section, as not everyone looks in the general Europe section and others may have ideas, but isn't it possible for your son to pay all the bills? (or if not, you can transfer funds to his English account....)
Old Jun 13th 2015, 9:40 am
Just Joined

ANNETTEFRANCE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the France section, as not everyone looks in the general Europe section and others may have ideas, but isn't it possible for your son to pay all the bills? (or if not, you can transfer funds to his English account....)
Thanks dmu, how do i post in the France section ? Concerning my son , yes i think that is what i will end up doing !
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANNETTEFRANCE
Thanks dmu, how do i post in the France section ? Concerning my son , yes i think that is what i will end up doing !
Just scroll up through all the European countries above "Europe" and click on France. Then click on "New Thread" (somewhere top left).