Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling Europe after brexit with criminal record

Traveling Europe after brexit with criminal record

Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling Europe after brexit with criminal record

Originally Posted by Flybynyt
In all the years the internet has been in existence not a single person has decided to post an experience of being granted a working visa abroad despite criminal convictions.

I find this hard to believe. I challenge you, post a single link.
I'm not going to do your research for you, but just look at the Canada forums, plenty of folks there getting working visas (and Permanent Residency) with convictions. Ditto Australia and NZ.

You can't possibly have researched the criminal convictions policy of every single country in the world, so making sweeping scaremongering statements like you've done just looks like trolling - please don't.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Flybynyt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not going to do your research for you, but just look at the Canada forums, plenty of folks there getting working visas (and Permanent Residency) with convictions. Ditto Australia and NZ.

You can't possibly have researched the criminal convictions policy of every single country in the world, so making sweeping scaremongering statements like you've done just looks like trolling - please don't.
Post a single link of a UK citizen gaining a work visa for Canada with a serious conviction. As you say that should be easy.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Post a single link of a UK citizen gaining a work visa for Canada with a serious conviction. ....
You've lost your original argument, so now you introduce the qualifier "serious"!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Flybynyt is an unknown quantity at this point

I stumbled on this post while doing research. And although it's great to call a glass half full that shouldn't defect from reality. Wrap the world in cotton wool all you like. The truth is that Brexit will have the largest impact on citizens with a record. Now that I've left reality here for the next person to stumble on I've done my job. For 85% of ex offenders,your world just got a lot smaller! Nuff said!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Post a single link of a UK citizen gaining a work visa for Canada with a serious conviction. As you say that should be easy.
So now it's 'serious' convictions only is it? Bit different from your scaremongering nonsense first post.

But instead of a post on a forum, why not actually go to the official source and read the CIC website info on inadmissibility? It will very clearly tell you that 10 years after a sentence has passed, rehab doesn't even need to be applied for (and before that they usually are too, just that rehab has to be applied for).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 3rd 2017 at 9:02 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Now that I've left reality here for the next person to stumble on I've done my job.
Possibly, or we might just delete/edit your posts for trolling.......
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I stumbled on this post while doing research. And although it's great to call a glass half full that shouldn't defect from reality. Wrap the world in cotton wool all you like. The truth is that Brexit will have the largest impact on citizens with a record. Now that I've left reality here for the next person to stumble on I've done my job. For 85% of ex offenders,your world just got a lot smaller! Nuff said!
I don't think you've told us anything that we didn't already know - (i) it is tough to get a work visa when you have a criminal record, and (ii) it is getting tougher to work overseas if you have a criminal record, not least because of Brexit. But your assertion that it is impossible under all circumstances, is undoubtedly incorrect.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

:

You can't live in many countries of the world already without criminal record checks as part of a visa process, but possessing a criminal record doesn't mean an automatic rejection.

For 85% of offenders with more than one conviction it does. Currently we are restricted to travelling and living in europe. If you can find one case where someone with previous convictions was given a working visa in a different nation I'll give you a medal. I guarentee you won't find a single case. Feel free to post a link if you do! The truth is brutal. But it's the truth all the same.
I've been using BE for many years and could provide many many links to threads in the Aus forum, US forum, Canadian forum, NZ forum.......... Having a conviction is not in itself a barrier to a visa, either permanent or temporary, in any of those countries.
I do in fact know people personally who have been granted visas to live permanently in Australia whilst having criminal convictions.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 3rd 2017 at 10:02 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone reading this if you have a criminal conviction you are almost worthless after brexit. UK citizens with criminal histories will be the most effected minority along with other foreign nationals. The UK is getting tough on migrants with records and in turn the rest of the EU will be tough on our convicts. Effectively the UK is your new prison. You won't be able to work and live abroad ANYWHERE without a visa and record checks so knuckle down and get used to the system that shafted you so badly. It's all you will ever know.

Free travel and work through Europe was the only escape from the UK we had. But you can kiss that goodbye.

Depressing is not even the word.
You'd better hurry up and migrate then, while you still have the chance