Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice
Default Re: TRAVEL AND GETTING TO SLO

Clive they are very sociable, lived in Podkoren and now run a B&B, River Cottage and for those needing a base to explore is a nice spot.
You obviously live more than 100 metres away, perhaps at the top of Triglav !!
Hope to drive over again this summer. I like to catch a late night cheap ferry, drive a bit and then stop for a kip in the car and then bash straight on. Do the same back, leave midnight, and get a late afternoon ferry back to Dover.
This time though we will make a couple of stop overs to enjoy a few places we have not visited.
Your location sounds very interesting........pity Klagenfurt is no longer but we are happy to go via Trieste and Venice as well and I enjoy spending time in both these places.
Best regards, M
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

Just read that Germany is going to start charging foreigners to travel the motor ways??
I use Germany route rather than France to get to Slo because of the toll charges, so if introduced will be disappointing. Think we better do the same in the UK
not that we will see any benefits ! Less pot holes?
In Mallorca for a few days, not been in years, looks a bit run down with lots of shops closed and plenty of property for sale. Seems pricey eating out compared with SLO. Euros disappear like magic.
Hope everyone had a nice Easter? M
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:38 am
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a look for information on charging on the roads in Germany but can not find very much information. Has anybody been able to find out when this is going to happen and how much it will cost or is this another scary story put out by the press.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

On a television report they said it was happening in 2016. That's as
much as I know.
I don't know if Spain is attempting to build infrastructure to help the economy but all the roads we went on in Mallorca looked like new Tarmac. OK a lot were single carriage way but they were very smooth even in the mountains.
Not like London, I need to claim from the council for loose fillings.
Best, M
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

That's where all our EU taxes are going so you can have a perfect holiday experience. Maybe Slovenia should be doing the same as the road to my place is part Tarmac but mostly gravel. In the summer there are several workmen filling in all the holes. Maybe we could have full employment if we did the same in the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Agreed but when you "travel by gravel" you usually are somewhere special.

Back to air travel, Squeezyjet seems to be very expensive now to LJ and unless we go in via Venice or Trieste - quick motorway driving - with Ryana*** we look as if it will be traveling via Luton with Wizzy more.
Best regards, M
Old Jun 13th 2014, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Hello to you all,
I have just used Wizz air from Luton for the first time. Maybe it's beginers luck but I can not find any faults in their service I will be using them again if I decide to fly again.
The only bad point was the 3rd world road you have to drive on to reach the long stay car park.
Had a great time over there and with sterling up to £1.25 and still rising I can see it's going to be even better cheaper holiday next time
Clive
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Man, getting to Sloland now RyanA has dropped Graz and Klagenfurt at a sensible price seems impossible.
All ways in from Trieste, Venice, LJ , Pula and Saltzburg are just too expensive this summer. They seem to have pushed up prices now there is less competition or ways in.
Anyone seen any reasonable flight prices with Adria, Norwegian or anyone else???
It looks like I will be fueling up a few times and driving overnight unless someone has the answer.
Best to all but I do not understand pepper pots words. Anyone explain?
M
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Just seen Adele's blog on Slovenia and wanted to get in touch. Pressed some button but seems it is a subscription only thing???
Looking for some travel ideas so if anyone has her e mail I would appreciate it.
Hoping to drive over in August and looking forward to it.
Michael
Old Oct 9th 2014, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Trains, planes and automobiles is a closed thread so this is as good....I guess.
Have to add to the list getting there by bicycle as a friend cycled from London to Ljublijana ....16 days but he was taking it slo ( ho ho!) . And I moaned at a couple of hours extra travel having to fly out of Trieste this week.
Anyway, Seems that Wizzy are moving their LJ Brnik flights from Sat, Tues, Thursday to
M,W and Friday later in the month. Pity about the Saturday as you could choose between Wizzy or squeezy and sometimes it helps with missing less work going at the weekend. Might be OK to go with one and back with another especially as Easy misses out T and Wednesday soon for the early winter.
God I miss Klagenfurt and Graz !!
And I miss that nobody writes much..... M
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

MissingWords is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I should try and contribute after begging for information in my other post (feel free to have a look!).

I have flown out twice this year, both times from Luton, and found it to be a relatively stress free, affordable experience; one flight was last minute and was still just over £100, whilst (short term) parking, if applicable, was very cheap (£20 or so for around 5 days). Getting there wasn't too bad from the M25, although roadworks at the airport have made it a bit of a b***h to get out again!

I am going to be heading out in January and (contrary to all common sense) feel that driving will be the most fun way to do it this time (mainly due to my accumulated "stuff"). Are there any rules / regulations I should be aware of on the roads leading upto, and through, Slovenia? I know snow tyres are recommendable, but I wasn't sure if they are obligatory.

If anyone feels like a roadtrip then let me know!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

AFAIK, winter tyres are mandatory in SI for SI plated cars during winter. starting around now. If your car is registered in the UK, not mandatory.

Driving over can be very enjoyable, IMO, and can afford to drive off the autobahn for a jolly along a parallel side road now and then, or a tea and bun. But in winter, in bad weather and if you are under time pressure, it could be a tough, and downright dangerous.

just my opinion. H lFL
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi Wrong Word.......did you mean moving in January 2015 ?!
Or was that an old post ....at my age I start to get lost.
I was going to go skiing in January and I too like driving over but mainly in summer months. Latest I've done it was late October and I hit major snow blizzards which were not cleared and made it tricky on UK tyres. I was happy I made it as many abandoned their vehicles. Comes through years of driving.

Moving over sounds exciting and you seem to have the right view on it. I would try to buy Harry a union but he prefers vino from the best vineyards....his knowledge of Slo is worth a doubloon or two.
If you have a seat available in Jan I might just take you up on the offer but plenty of time to hear more of your thoughts on Slo before then.
Kind regards, Michael
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:45 am
Just Joined

MissingWords is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite possibly January 2015, yes....

It is only something I have been thinking about now; I was due to be coming out September (just gone, 2014!) but changed plans to accommodate work / save a little more £££ pre-moving and, as such, just pushed the whole plan (including driving) into the new year. I am now questioning the durability / hardiness of my friends Mondeo...although we are both reasonably experienced (him more than me) winter drivers and fairly committed to arriving....!

I felt / thought that, when considering all associated costs (plus selling it to my buddy as a move-cum-snowboarding trip!), driving was the best way to get all of my ESSENTIAL things to Ljubljana with me (unfortunately, even after rationalising I am still including my guitar, computer and snow gear!). Even thought Wizz seem to be slightly nicer than Sleazy and completely obliterate RA for service offered, I imagine the added cost of taking everything (one way) would still make flying expensive (plus I don't want to end up with a broken guitar!). I am also anticipating some hilarious Candy / Martin style comedy moments between my friend and I en route...

Without wanting to digress, have you guys experienced the (worryingly strong) joy of Bevog pivos yet? I found them in the pivoteka on Stari Trg earlier this year. I believe the proprietor is the sister of the brewery's founder; she was happy to tell me EVERYTHING about them, which was pretty cool.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Well Mondeo man, Candy and Steve M did make it I guess.
The trip is reasonably easy with virtually no tolls if you want but we tend to stop on route to see things or places not previously visited but come back overnight in one hit, stopping only for fuel and food.
Whilst I like beer and have not tried this brew I fear I might limit your style on a road trip but think it will be more fun than Luton and Wizz ever could be!
Look forward to hearing about plans and the actual event so see you on the slopes of Slovenia. Mines a Lasko Dark or a C Baron if we meet.
M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.