Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train travel in Schengen area without a passport?

Train travel in Schengen area without a passport?

Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

mark_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Train travel in Schengen area without a passport?

I had to send my passport to the UK to get renewed. Does anyone know if I can travel by train within the Schengen zone? I'd like to go from Budapest (I live here) to Prague and back.

The only photo ID I have is my UK driving license. I do have a photocopy of my passport.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train travel in Schengen area without a passport?

Were you issued with an identity card in Hungary? If you were that would be sufficient within a shengen Zone...

.The only other thing I can suggest is to go online and check requirements for travel within Shengen area's...Or simple to go to the Railway station and ask....I do know that a driving license us very often seen as insufficient proof of identity
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

mark_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I have a Hungarian address card and tax card. Neither are photo ID though.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

OK They may just accept those along with your drivers license..but I would still do a bit of online research first..have been in a situation where my ID wasn't enough..It does often depend on who you get on the day...
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark_w
I had to send my passport to the UK to get renewed. Does anyone know if I can travel by train within the Schengen zone? I'd like to go from Budapest (I live here) to Prague and back.

The only photo ID I have is my UK driving license. I do have a photocopy of my passport.
You'll need to carry your passport to visit the Czech Republic; I do and I live here and have a residence card. Of course, no one may ask to see it and you'll get away with it but you'll need it to check in to a hotel, so that the hotel can complete the registration with the authorities. There's a fine if the police ask to see your passport and you are unable to produce it; I don't know whether they would accept an uncertified copy - I doubt it.

A permanent resident's permit can be used as an identity document in the country of issue but it is not a travel document and words to this effect are printed on it.

Chris
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have travelled a lot between Budapest and Prague and sometimes - not always - the Police have boarded the train and inspected passports and ID cards at border crossings.

I was on a bus somewhere once and the police pulled it over into a service station and checked passports.

I'm also a Brit and had my passport with me so no issue but I would be wary of travelling anywhere without ID.

Your UK Driving licence may work but, as others suggest, best to check first.