Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thinking where to go .... anywhere but UK!

Thinking where to go .... anywhere but UK!

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

hip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nice
Default Thinking where to go .... anywhere but UK!

I want to leave the UK ... it is expensive, cold, wet and dull .... plus it has a government which is ruining life here for everyone except the wealthy.
So is there anyone out there who is thinking the same thing and would like to emigrate but is daunted by not knowing anyone in the place they will live? If so, I am willing to form a group of people who would move together to the same place and form a support group, maybe with each member becoming an expert at one thing, so as to help each other.
Obviously people may have different ideas of where they want to live, so if many people contact me I would create lists to give to those interested in certain parts of the world. I have done some research and am especially interested in France (Atlantic coast), Portugal (near Faro), Cyprus (Greek sector), Philippines (Cebu), but am willing to think about other places people may suggest.
My e-mail address is <snip> (please don't bother to send spam, I just delete it all with one click of my mouse).

Stewart.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 22nd 2011 at 5:17 pm. Reason: Email address removed.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking where to go .... anywhere but UK!

Hi Stewart,

I see you have already posted on BE a couple of times. Have you narrowed down any countries you like yet?

Also I've removed your email address from your post, otherwise it will get picked up by spam bots and you might become inundated with spam.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hip999
I want to leave the UK ... it is expensive, cold, wet and dull .... plus it has a government which is ruining life here for everyone except the wealthy.
So is there anyone out there who is thinking the same thing and would like to emigrate but is daunted by not knowing anyone in the place they will live? If so, I am willing to form a group of people who would move together to the same place and form a support group, maybe with each member becoming an expert at one thing, so as to help each other.
Obviously people may have different ideas of where they want to live, so if many people contact me I would create lists to give to those interested in certain parts of the world. I have done some research and am especially interested in France (Atlantic coast), Portugal (near Faro), Cyprus (Greek sector), Philippines (Cebu), but am willing to think about other places people may suggest.
My e-mail address is <snip> (please don't bother to send spam, I just delete it all with one click of my mouse).

Stewart.
Hi again. As you have already opened an introductory thread in this forum I am moving this thread to the General Europe Forum.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Michael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really nice

Hi Stewart,

Sounds perfect.

I have sent you a PM.

Although I am looking for a rather warmer climate but the country must have the potential of strong ecenomic growth!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael Massey

Although I am looking for a rather warmer climate but the country must have the potential of strong ecenomic growth!
No-one can predict what the future economics will be out there in the big wide world but.... many predict that China will continue to grow (southern China will be warmish). There's also a somewhat knock-on effect around other parts of East Asia (Hong Kong, South Korea) and South East Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia). I know Hip mentioned Philippines but I'm not sure about economic growth there. It's quite a poor country, isn't it. Anyway, you'll find plenty of banter in the Asia sub-forum so please throw any questions in, if you wish. Most of us are friendly and harmless

I think though, and you guys are quite young right? Australia must be a big draw if you have the work skills that Oz requires, and it's generally warmish. Not sure how easy it is these days to get into Oz, but go look in the Australia forum.

Economically, I've also read a number of articles that predicts that the Food Producing countries of the world will be the ones in the driving seat in the future. So.... New Zealand has got to be in there for sure... but not so warm there .

In Europe, not sure where the big food production is these days, but EU currently in deep doodoo

Happy planning!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

am especially interested in France (Atlantic coast),
Stewart.
France is still in the middle of the general European economic crisis and there's no guarantee that the weather on the Atlantic coast will be better than in the UK.
Conclusion, disregard France in your search for paradise!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

But can enjoy all that great food and wine huh?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
But can enjoy all that great food and wine huh?
True, what you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:21 pm

Oh so very true. Everywhere has it's downsides. Utopia does not exist. But can share Hip's views that there is something better out there than uk IMHO.. I hAve no regrets about leaving uk. Sure you miss a few things but life is an adventure
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Michael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really niceMichael Massey is just really nice

Indeed nothing is perfect.

True paradise can only be found in our own deep self of being or perhaps if your religious, Heaven.

The UK may be paradise for some and other parts of the world maybe paradise for others.

Which brings us into the meaning of life and happiness, before we get too deep and introspective veering off topic let’s get back on track!

However, there are many places better than the UK and the world is huge.
What I was referring to was some simple things;

1) Equality for all. Democratic (can’t be taking chances these days)
2) Warm, Sun, Beach (good work/life balance and quality of life)
3) Economy (fairly well balanced, as it could be)

Many options but I guess if you have a good work history skills in demand or an internet / easy to run business from offshore then the world truly is your oyster.

If you don’t have the two above then some research and planning will be required on prospective country.

An ideal scenario would be something like Spain. But mass street protests due to food prices and unemployment is not a safe option. To be honest I think most countries will suffer like this for a while. At least for the foreseeable future.

Best to plan and research build some skills, qualifications and history or start a business. Then take it from there….IMOHO … of course.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Rural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michael Massey
Indeed nothing is perfect.

True paradise can only be found in our own deep self of being or perhaps if your religious, Heaven.

The UK may be paradise for some and other parts of the world maybe paradise for others.

Which brings us into the meaning of life and happiness, before we get too deep and introspective veering off topic let’s get back on track!

However, there are many places better than the UK and the world is huge.
What I was referring to was some simple things;

1) Equality for all. Democratic (can’t be taking chances these days)
2) Warm, Sun, Beach (good work/life balance and quality of life)
3) Economy (fairly well balanced, as it could be)

Many options but I guess if you have a good work history skills in demand or an internet / easy to run business from offshore then the world truly is your oyster.

If you don’t have the two above then some research and planning will be required on prospective country.

An ideal scenario would be something like Spain. But mass street protests due to food prices and unemployment is not a safe option. To be honest I think most countries will suffer like this for a while. At least for the foreseeable future.

Best to plan and research build some skills, qualifications and history or start a business. Then take it from there….IMOHO … of course.
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing back in 2006 and have no regrets. Not always been an easy ride. I moved out to Bulgaria in 2006 on my own as a single woman. Certainly not easy. Lived there for around 3 to 4 years and now live part of the year in France and part of the year in Bulgaria.

I love to ski and so spend winters in the snow in the Alps (although not so much around this year) and summers in the sun in the Bulgarian countryside. Great hot climate, self-sufficient life style....
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

rach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nicerach77 is just really nice

Stewart.
Hey Stewart

I am most definitely in the prediciment of being nervous about moving to Australia and not knowing people there.... I am wanting to move to Australia, probably Queensland in the next year or so, but the thought of doing it alone scares me. How far are your plans coming along? Whats on your list of possible locations? x
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

hip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nice

I am 60 and would not be able to get into Australia, so am still thinking about Portugal, maybe Spain, Cyprus, Philippines.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you want somewhere on or near the coast so I won't bother suggesting Hungary. UK is expensive for some things but cheap for groceries, used vehicles, electrical goods etc. I don't think overall you would find the cost of living much cheaper in Cyprus. What you save on heating bills in the winter you are likely to spend on air conditioning in the summer. Also from what I've seen, property prices there are similar to UK.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that advice .... I did wonder about air-con. But I am surprised that house prices are as high .... I assumed most countries would not be as stupid to allow house prices to rocket as they did in the UK, the cause of our family structure breaking down as both parents had to work to pay the huge mortgages and the cause of current misery as the banks over-stretched themselves to give over-sized loans on property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.