TEFL query

Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

pailface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TEFL query

Hi,

I'm British and live in UK.
If I took a TEFL course and passed, would that be enough to move to somewhere in mainland europe and start teaching. Would I need anything else?
I have GCSE English C which I took at school.
And as I work full-time what's the best route to go down (part-time college course or online course)?
Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: TEFL query

Hi there,

As an EU citizen you can work anywhere within the EU without needed to get a work permit, so that's not a problem - you just move there and start living, and within the first three month pick up your residency certificate from the local police/town hall/bureaucratic office.

Now about working in TEFL. The main factors in getting a job teaching English are qualifications and experience. The best industry-specific certificate to have is the CELTA (RSA/Cambridge). You can do it either in four weeks full-time or six month part time (normally one day per week). It includes classroom theory and practical teaching hours. It's well-regarded in the industry and you would be well advised to get it. There are online courses which are quicker and cheaper to get, but most decent schools will eye them suspiciously.

Most international schools, colleges and some of the better language schools will not consider someone without a degree. If you don't have a university degree, and assuming you don't have teaching experience, you really should try to get the CELTA to put yourself in the best light possible. Even then you'll be looking at starting off in a low-grade language mill.

Western European countries have very few opportunities on the whole, especially for unqualified inexperienced teachers. Considering the cost of living, you'd be lucky to break even. Central/Eastern European might offer better opportunities, and the lack of native speakers may mean they are more likely to overlook lack of experience and qualifications, and there may be more private lessons on offer outside school hours, which are useful for topping up your income. Cost of living is also lower so any savings you bring with you will go further, as will your income.

Good luck!