Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brits offshore

Brits offshore

Old Jan 4th 2002, 2:12 am
Just Joined

nodrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
Bit disapointed to see no references on this site to folks like me who are expat/offshore-in my case,living in the Isle of Man.Offshore would also include the Channel Islands.
We are not,thank God,part of the U.K.,but self governing,relying only on the U.K. for defence and foreign relations.
Only ca. 50% of the pop. of 75,000 here are native Manx,so there must be a hell of a lot of us "expats" here!
Obviously, the thriving economy here,with its job opportunities,plus the low income and property taxes and very pleasant lifestyle must be attractive to many.Social Security payments to residents who qualify,are higher than the U.K.,and Health and Education services are good. The Island issues its own passport,and has an airline,shipping register,flag and even a National Anthem-this I discovered to my embarassment,when I was the only one not to stand up!
Unlike the Channel Islands,there are no restrictions to buying property here,but there is nothing under £100,000,and a nice place somewhat more. The climate is "mild"- that is,not too cold in the winter,but warm rather than hot, in the summer.Great for enjoying the beautiful Manx countryside,on generally quiet roads,and where you can see on a clear day,both the U.K. and Ireland-and congratulate yourself on how much less tax you pay than across the water!
I must confess now,I am a retiree-but many who have come here to work,say it`s a great place to bring up kids.To me,it`s just a damn nice place to retire to-and with none of the problems you get with language,strange legal systems,currency,property laws/taxes or climate extremes that you might come across elsewhere.The natives,bless them, are extremely friendly-just don`t suggest they are part of the U.K.!
Anyone who might like to know more about the Isle of Man can contact me(and if I can`t help,I`ll probably be able to point you in the right direction) at [email protected]
Have a Great New Year,
nodrick