Switzerland

Old Mar 15th 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switzerland

Originally Posted by scot47
No matter how long you live in The Helvetic Confedetaion you will always be an outsider and never one of the Eidesgenossen. I found it even weirder than Austria ! Give me Protestant/Marxist North Germany any day !
No matter where you go you will always be an outsider. I would also be an outsider in UK. Btw, did you live in Austria or in Switzerland for an extended period?
Old Mar 15th 2021, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
No matter where you go you will always be an outsider. I would also be an outsider in UK. Btw, did you live in Austria or in Switzerland for an extended period?
Must disagree with the 'always'. I have lived and worked in a great many different countries in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Enjoyed my stay almost everywhere, but one country in particular stands out from all the others. Lebanon!
From day one I was greeted with open arms, not only from the airline I was sent to support, but especially from hotel personal, followed by a great landlord and his wonderful family. Within a day of moving into permanent accommodation I was invited in to meet close neighbours, and to join their wonderful mezze dishes. And this continued again when my wife joined me, and also with the m-i-l on vacation trip. Truly wonderful people, with unsparing gratitude and assistance wherever I went, always with no ulterior motives - whatever the ethnic group. Memories which I'll savour forever. Unlike some other countries, never did I feel an outsider in Lebanon.
Having said that, due to the terrible political situation I'm pleased I'm not there today.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Must disagree with the 'always'. I have lived and worked in a great many different countries in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Enjoyed my stay almost everywhere, but one country in particular stands out from all the others. Lebanon!
From day one I was greeted with open arms, not only from the airline I was sent to support, but especially from hotel personal, followed by a great landlord and his wonderful family. Within a day of moving into permanent accommodation I was invited in to meet close neighbours, and to join their wonderful mezze dishes. And this continued again when my wife joined me, and also with the m-i-l on vacation trip. Truly wonderful people, with unsparing gratitude and assistance wherever I went, always with no ulterior motives - whatever the ethnic group. Memories which I'll savour forever. Unlike some other countries, never did I feel an outsider in Lebanon.
Having said that, due to the terrible political situation I'm pleased I'm not there today.
Subject is Switzerland.
Switzerland is different to Lebanon. I guess you never worked in Switzerland.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Subject is Switzerland.
Switzerland is different to Lebanon. I guess you never worked in Switzerland.
Scot's post stated, "No matter how long you live in The Helvetic Confedetaion you will always be an outsider". It's clear and precise which I wouldn't question for a moment. Unlike yours.
Not withstanding this being the Switzerland sub forum of B.E, your sweeping, ambiguous statement, "No matter where you go you will always be an outsider," is strictly untrue. Had you qualified the statement with a clear mention of Switzerland there'd be no debate. As this particular forum is read not only by expats in Europe but worldwide, your comment, "Subject is Switzerland" is impertinent.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 16th 2021 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Scot's post stated, "No matter how long you live in The Helvetic Confedetaion you will always be an outsider". It's clear and precise which I wouldn't question for a moment. Unlike yours.
Not withstanding this being the Switzerland sub forum of B.E, your sweeping, ambiguous statement, "No matter where you go you will always be an outsider," is strictly untrue. Had you qualified the statement with a clear mention of Switzerland there'd be no debate. As this particular forum is read not only by expats in Europe but worldwide, your comment, "Subject is Switzerland" is impertinent.
Since the subject is the Switzerland forum, why would a reference not be to Switzerland? Don't get your knickers into a twist.
Old May 27th 2021, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point

I have somewhat similar situation, I will be relocating from UK to Lugano area in Switzerland. I sorted out most of questions, but have one remaining....

I have some belongings that I would like to move from UK to Swiss. I don't really want to pay a middle man and rather just rent a van and move it myself.

Does anyone know what is required from Customs point of view to do this ? Can I just document all my stuff, its value and how long I've possessed it ? Will it be sufficient for Swiss customs ?

Last edited by jodvova; May 27th 2021 at 7:10 am.
Old May 27th 2021, 9:04 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodvova
I have somewhat similar situation, I will be relocating from UK to Lugano area in Switzerland. I sorted out most of questions, but have one remaining....

I have some belongings that I would like to move from UK to Swiss. I don't really want to pay a middle man and rather just rent a van and move it myself.

Does anyone know what is required from Customs point of view to do this ? Can I just document all my stuff, its value and how long I've possessed it ? Will it be sufficient for Swiss customs ?
I didn't do my own importation or exportation, but if you are looking to go that route, information can be found on the Swiss FCA webpages.

From memory, all items less than six months old will attract VAT, this may have since changed. Provide as many receipts as possible.

Good luck with the move.
Old May 27th 2021, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I didn't do my own importation or exportation, but if you are looking to go that route, information can be found on the Swiss FCA webpages.

From memory, all items less than six months old will attract VAT, this may have since changed. Provide as many receipts as possible.

Good luck with the move.
Thank you!

Found this bit https://en.comparis.ch/umzug-schweiz...-umzug-schweiz

Looks like straight-forward indeed.

I don't have employment agreement tho, only rental contract.
Old May 27th 2021, 8:23 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodvova
Thank you!

Found this bit https://en.comparis.ch/umzug-schweiz...-umzug-schweiz

Looks like straight-forward indeed.

I don't have employment agreement tho, only rental contract.
Glad if it helped.

Comparis can be a useful site, you might have a look out also for "bon a savoir" (in French, but they'll likely have equivalent German and Italian links available) it's a consumer-orientated information portal, certain bits for free, more detailed available on subscription - a bit like Which? in the UK.

Can't offer insight to Lugano (only been there once) nor even Locarno (been twice), but Ascona and round about is pretty cool.