Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

stopped in gib, car impounded?

stopped in gib, car impounded?

Old May 9th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default stopped in gib, car impounded?

anyone know if there is a fine to pay to release the car ? they said that my m8 can go back on monday and just take it, but is there any release fee / holding fee to pay?

and no... it WASN´T ME !!

hehe so anyone know ?? for certain ? like..have u ever been caught with 25 cartons of ciggies ??:scared: anyone?

was "my" car tho ..

james

Last edited by bfg69bug; May 9th 2004 at 7:27 pm.
Old May 10th 2004, 5:36 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Default Re: stopped in gib, car impounded?

he he so anyone know ?? for certain ? like..have u ever been caught with 25 cartons of ciggies ??:scared: anyone?

was "my" car tho ..

james
Hi James,

With Gibraltar celebrating 300 years of Brit rule this year, the Spanish are causing 'problems' at the border/frontier to increase delays and discourage casual visits. It's political cat and mouse!

The customs checks are more thorough (and time consuming), opening bonnets, tapping side panels etc. etc. It's not a good time to bring through 25 cartons of ciggies

Good luck with the car
Old May 11th 2004, 6:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sitting down........

Tell him to take his piggy bank.

I know someone who had car impounded last year and it cost 750 € to get it back.. about a € a fag.

Aint they cheap enough in Spain...??
Old May 11th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why people drive over to Gib anyway. Narrow streets, no parking. I always park on the Spanish side and walk over. Couldnt you mate get a couple of mates to go with him and each carry 400 each. I agree with John fags are cheap enough in Spain and by the time you add petrol etc, I doubt it would be much cheaper anyway.

ARe you sure it was fags and not drugs or money laundering??? LOL.

Originally posted by jdr
Are you sitting down........

Tell him to take his piggy bank.

I know someone who had car impounded last year and it cost 750 € to get it back.. about a € a fag.

Aint they cheap enough in Spain...??
Old May 12th 2004, 12:43 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bfg69bug
anyone know if there is a fine to pay to release the car ? they said that my m8 can go back on monday and just take it, but is there any release fee / holding fee to pay?

and no... it WASN´T ME !!

hehe so anyone know ?? for certain ? like..have u ever been caught with 25 cartons of ciggies ??:scared: anyone?

was "my" car tho ..

james
I assume you mean that you were stopped in Spain after visiting Gibraltar. Were you stopped by the Guardia Civil or the Policia Nacional? What does the actual "denuncia" say? Have you been cited by the Courts of La Linea or Alcegiras yet? Let me guess, your friends spoke so little Spanish they have no idea of what was said or transpired and they lost the ticket?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I assume you mean that you were stopped in Spain after visiting Gibraltar. Were you stopped by the Guardia Civil or the Policia Nacional? What does the actual "denuncia" say? Have you been cited by the Courts of La Linea or Alcegiras yet? Let me guess, your friends spoke so little Spanish they have no idea of what was said or transpired and they lost the ticket?

actually no, u are wrong. the van was searched on the border and they found the fags.

i wasn´t in any trouble at all.

RESULT: the owner of the van goes to gib to collect the van, its not there, its in algecieras. any fine? none. all he/we had to pay was an 82€ storage and grua fee. then we drove out in it. lost the ciggies tho..

mercades, think about it 25 cartons from gib costs 212.50. they sell in the uk for 700. thats 487.50 profit.

if you buy 25 cartons from spain, at €27 (19 quid) a piece, you would have to pay out 475. thats only 225 profit.

you do the math for an extra 262 quid for 3 or 4 hours work.. its worth the drive
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:32 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: stopped in gib, car impounded?

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
for an extra 262 quid for 3 or 4 hours work.. its worth the drive
It's not worth the drive if they impound the cigarettes
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

alkie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
nice to know you got your van back.
ive heard of many people who havent!!!!!!!!!!!
your so lucky
lucky i,m not one of them hahaha.
well happy shopping dont take the van next time
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
It's not worth the drive if they impound the cigarettes

bah, 1 time out of 20 is a chance that has to be taken