British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   smelliest (body odour) nation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/smelliest-body-odour-nation-110091/)

Evelyn Vogt Gam Aug 2nd 2002 10:21 pm

Re: smelliest (body odour) nation?

Oopsdaisy2 wrote:
    >
    > >Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    > >Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM
    >
    > >Nations do not smell; people do.
    >
    > Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement,
    > they have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells
    > like pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine
    > covered..... Maybe not nations, but certainly cities ;)

Jacaranda, I think - purple flowers, right? We have it in Southern California, too
(a little less noticeable in lower humidity). First time I encountered it, I was
sitting in someone's backyard patio, and kept looking for the unneutered tomcat
responsible! <g

devil wrote:
    >
    >
    > Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.
    > And I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA
    > flight, who was really bad.

In the U.S., it seems to be some women of middle-eastern background (middle-aged or
older) - that unmistakable "unwashed" smell, that has no similarity to just hot
weather "sweaty" and not using deodorants. Given the place of women in many of their
cultures, I've often wondered whether it might not be a deliberate means of
discouraging spousal attentions?

Irwell wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

LOL! But (serious question) when you're more or less immersed in such an atmosphere,
don't you become unaware of it, within a very short time?

Keith Anderson Aug 2nd 2002 11:20 pm

On 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> wrote:

> do they think is smells natural or even sexy

Well, Napoleon is supposed to have written to Josephine (although this has been
disputed by historians): "Home in three days. Don't wash."

Devil Aug 3rd 2002 2:21 am

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque) wrote:
    >
    > Oopsdaisy2 wrote:
    >
    >>>Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    >>>Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM
    >>
    >>>Nations do not smell; people do.
    >>
    >>Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement,
    >>they have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells
    >>like pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine
    >>covered..... Maybe not nations, but certainly cities ;)
    >
    >
    > Jacaranda, I think - purple flowers, right? We have it in Southern California, too
    > (a little less noticeable in lower humidity). First time I encountered it, I was
    > sitting in someone's backyard patio, and kept looking for the unneutered tomcat
    > responsible! <g>

There is a Brazilian tree called jacaranda. Very dark, heavy, top quality
furniture wood.

Mxsmanic Aug 3rd 2002 9:21 am

The French no longer smell, as a general rule, although French people over 50 often
have very casual attitudes towards hygiene and may reek at times. Beginning in the
1960s there was a serious effort to improve public hygiene and it succeeded to a
large extent, such that French people growing up then and later tend to be much
cleaner than their elders. But there is still a significant minority of French people
who maintain poor personal hygiene and smell bad in consequence. Their numbers are
shrinking, fortunately.

Among younger French people, the most common odor is cigarette smoke, followed by
alcohol. Body odor is in a distance third place.

"rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
    > i'm not a troll i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him
    > why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north africans,arabs
    > etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the smell.where in uk
    > if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say 'what a smelly
    > bstrd. i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just a natural human
    > odour. rday
    >
    >
    >
    > --

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

> I find that a bit insulting to our warmer climate brethren.

Whether it is seen as insulting or not is irrelevant to me; I was merely making an
observation.

> When I worked in Calcutta, the cleanliness of even the poorest Hindus was
    > remarkable, on the way in to work I would see them washing in the Hoogly river and
    > at broken water pipes.

How clean is the river and the water?

In any case, I'm talking about how people smell in Europe, not elsewhere. And I
believe I mentioned that the ones who appear to smell the worst come from Africa, not
India. Perhaps African standards are different.

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]...

> Given the place of women in many of their cultures, I've often wondered whether it
    > might not be a deliberate means of discouraging spousal attentions?

It would be discouraging only to spouses conditioned to dislike it, and/or having
less body odor themselves.

Jesper Lauridse Aug 3rd 2002 10:21 am

On 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> wrote:

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?

As a group, British people living abroad really stink.

--
Ask me for directions.

Tom Aug 3rd 2002 10:22 am

Some months back I had the misfortune of standing on the CDG airport bus right behind
an extremely smelly woman. Now normally I find the body odour that women give off
rather attractive, this one was just unwashed and so bad I nearly passed out. Lucky I
didn't have to sit next to her on the plane.

Tom

Mxsmanic schrieb:
    >
    > The French no longer smell, as a general rule, although French people over 50 often
    > have very casual attitudes towards hygiene and may reek at times. Beginning in the
    > 1960s there was a serious effort to improve public hygiene and it succeeded to a
    > large extent, such that French people growing up then and later tend to be much
    > cleaner than their elders. But there is still a significant minority of French
    > people who maintain poor personal hygiene and smell bad in consequence. Their
    > numbers are shrinking, fortunately.
    >
    > Among younger French people, the most common odor is cigarette smoke, followed by
    > alcohol. Body odor is in a distance third place.
    >
    > "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]...
    > > i'm not a troll i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him
    > > why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north
    > > africans,arabs etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the
    > > smell.where in uk if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say
    > > 'what a smelly bstrd. i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just
    > > a natural human odour. rday
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >

--
Note: the sender's address which is displayed in the header may be different from the
real address.

To reply, please be sure to mail "tandp at freenet dot de"

rday Aug 3rd 2002 12:49 pm

i am a heating engineer ,i have a shower every morning,spray lynx deodourant,sweat BALDLY ALL DAY,by the time i get home i stink,my wife and kids tell me i stink,usually of normal b.o.,but sometime of a pissy odour (strange).
but i quite like the smell of my own bo(apart from the pissy type)but i suppose its like smelling your own fart,(usually quite a pleasent experience.

rday

Zombywoof Aug 3rd 2002 3:20 pm

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:22:35 -0700, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> let us in on their opinion by saying:

>
    >
    >Irwell wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >
    >> Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.
    >
    >LOL! But (serious question) when you're more or less immersed in such an atmosphere,
    >don't you become unaware of it, within a very short time?
    >
Yes, that is true. But if you think about it, or are removed from it for a very short
period of time it comes back rather quickly. I personally can't stand my own stink,
let alone others.
--

Integrity is like virginity. Once you loss it, you are screwed and can never
get it back.

ZombyWoof

newstartnz Aug 3rd 2002 4:23 pm

We can't stand your 'lack of integrity stink' Zomby, you let yourself down when you admitted cheating your company.

Kara Aug 3rd 2002 5:31 pm

Most everybody has heard the Samuel Johnson anecdote:
    >When a lady complained about his bodily odor: "Sir, you SMELL!" Dr. Johnson replied,
    >"No, madam.=A0 YOU smell: I STINK!"

- k -

Ptarmigan Aug 3rd 2002 9:30 pm

I sat next to a chap on a plane once who was from India. A few minutes after take off he removed his shoes, and the stench was unbearable. After suffering politely I decided that I could not stand this for 10 hours, so I asked him to put his shoes back on. He indignantly asked me why.

"Because the smell is making me sick" I replied
"I have never been so insulted in my life" said the chap
"Well in a minute you will be both insulted and I will have vomited on you, so put your shoes on" said I.

Needless to say that the chap replaced the shoes and I was able to enjoy the flight without losing my stomach contents.