British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   smelliest (body odour) nation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/smelliest-body-odour-nation-110091/)

rday Aug 2nd 2002 1:34 am

smelliest (body odour) nation?

which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?
do they think is smells natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or can even colder places suffer?
rday

Frank Matthews Aug 2nd 2002 5:22 am

Re: smelliest (body odour) nation?

Smelly depends on the food as much as anything. I remember a trip years ago where
some time was spent in the Middle East, Turkey, and Greece. The smell of lamb was
quite pronounced on my clothes and had probably been so on me. I didn't notice it
until I was in Vienna. I hadn't changed my hygiene just my diet.

Frank Matthews

rday wrote:

> which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    > natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    > can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Sjoerd Aug 2nd 2002 8:21 am

TROLL alert

"rday" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
    > which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    > natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Gregory Morrow Aug 2nd 2002 8:21 am

Sjoerd wrote:

> TROLL alert

Heehee..."Tis the season", Sjoerd....Usenet *sure* has been boring as of late........

--
Best Greg

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 10:20 am

Nations do not smell; people do.

However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.

Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.

"rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Devil Aug 2nd 2002 4:24 pm

Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Nations do not smell; people do.
    >
    > However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
    > frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.
    >
    > Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
    > Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
    > people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
    > European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.
    >
    > "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]
    >
    >>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >>natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >>can even colder places suffer? rday

Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect. And
I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA flight,
who was really bad.

Irwell Aug 2nd 2002 4:25 pm

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:32:56 GMT, devil <[email protected]global.net> wrote:

>Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> Nations do not smell; people do.
    >>
    >> However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
    >> frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.
    >>
    >> Here in France, the people most likely to have strong body odor seem to be from
    >> Africa, but older French people are running a close second place. Younger French
    >> people have better hygiene, although it is still not up to the level of most other
    >> European countries, much less the U.S. or Japan.
    >>
    >> "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> [email protected]
    >>
    >>>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >>>natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related
    >>>or can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.
    >And I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA
    >flight, who was really bad.
    >
    >
Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

Oopsdaisy2 Aug 2nd 2002 5:21 pm

>Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    >Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM

>Nations do not smell; people do.

Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement, they
have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells like
pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine covered..... Maybe
not nations, but certainly cities ;)

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 5:21 pm

"devil" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]

> Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.

People in the UK have a reputation for cleanliness, which appears to be deserved from
what little I've seen, although I've also seen some people from the UK who appeared
never to wash their hands or feet.

Mxsmanic Aug 2nd 2002 5:21 pm

"Irwell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]

> Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

Soldiers have an excuse for not being squeaky clean all the time.

newstartnz Aug 2nd 2002 5:50 pm

Originally posted by Mxsmanic
Nations do not smell; people do.

However, people from warm climates and primitive countries seem to bathe less
frequently and often smell a lot more strongly than people from other areas.

I find that a bit insulting to our warmer climate brethren. I've travelled a fair bit in the tropics of Central America, Asia, Australia, India and worked also in the Middle East, plus in Central Europe which gets pretty hot May-September. When I worked in Calcutta, the cleanliness of even the poorest Hindus was remarkable, on the way in to work I would see them washing in the Hoogly river and at broken water pipes. In none of these places (eg Mexico, Honduras, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Queensland, Sydney, Calcutta, Bombay, UAE, Bahrain, Central Europe) have I found poor standards of personal cleanliness, quite the opposite. Better ask the Unilever or Procter and Gamble managers where they don't sell much soap and I bet it won't be the places I've mentioned. I've had a worse BO whiff off a London cabbie or in a UK pub than I have from the typical man in the street in the places above.

P J Wallace Aug 2nd 2002 7:28 pm

Depends who you ask, and what their sensitivities are

The Aussies say us ( the Brits), we say the French (and there are statistics bandied
around about the amount of soap bought and showers taken). The Russians are appaIIed
at the idea of baths rather than showers, and as I understand it, Chinese peopIe
can't stand the miIky smeII they feeI Westerners give off.

PJW

On 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> wrote:

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >can even colder places suffer? rday
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Grey Aug 2nd 2002 9:20 pm

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine? do they think is smells
    >natural or even sexy,or is it a case of just too lazy to bath.is it heat related or
    >can even colder places suffer? rday

Don't feed the troll.

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

rday Aug 2nd 2002 11:09 pm

i'm not a troll
i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north africans,arabs etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the smell.where in uk if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say 'what a smelly bstrd.
i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just a natural human odour.
rday

Mika Aug 2nd 2002 11:21 pm

rday <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    >

The damn Yanks are responsible. They had to rebuild Euroland all by themselves, you
know, but, like, there was a shortage of showers and bathtubs at the time, as they
were all needed for the Levittowns. So none ever got installed in Europe.

We tried hard to correct the problem. Never got around to it though, we were too busy
creating the EU, and the Pope, who was giving the orders, wasn't too interested in
bathtubs either, as he had the Fontana de Trevi right where he lived (plenty of hard
currency there, too). And the N*z*s controlling the Pope had plenty of hot water in
Paraguay. And the damn Commies who controlled the old N*z*s simply didn't care, they
were glad to have any water at all.

And once we finally got that EU thingy done, it turned out that the Eastern Block
didn't have any bathtubs either. And then this Reagan dude suddenly showed up in
Berlin and said the magic words: "Mr. Gorby, tear down your old outhouses". And
would you believe it, they all did it right away. And then the Russian Mafia
started to steal all the bathtubs that were parked on the streets of West Berlin. I
think the Poles also helped, but they only stole Mercedes bathtubs, the Russians
also took Volkswagen and Fiat bathtubs, and even Trabi showers (shudder, they had
only cold water).

But now we are sealing off the borders to Ukraine, no bathtub will get through in the
future. And a scientist from Luxemburg now even claims that he can produce American
soap. He calls his product "Taube" for some reason or other, seems it does not soil
your tub - if you have one.

>smells natural or even sexy<

Now you tell us. You can't get laid. Google for "pheromones".

Mika

Evelyn Vogt Gam Aug 2nd 2002 11:21 pm

Oopsdaisy2 wrote:
    >
    > >Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    > >Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM
    >
    > >Nations do not smell; people do.
    >
    > Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement,
    > they have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells
    > like pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine
    > covered..... Maybe not nations, but certainly cities ;)

Jacaranda, I think - purple flowers, right? We have it in Southern California, too
(a little less noticeable in lower humidity). First time I encountered it, I was
sitting in someone's backyard patio, and kept looking for the unneutered tomcat
responsible! <g

devil wrote:
    >
    >
    > Actually, I am not sure whether France is any better than the UK in that respect.
    > And I recall sitting beside a German in his late sixties or so once on a YYC-FRA
    > flight, who was really bad.

In the U.S., it seems to be some women of middle-eastern background (middle-aged or
older) - that unmistakable "unwashed" smell, that has no similarity to just hot
weather "sweaty" and not using deodorants. Given the place of women in many of their
cultures, I've often wondered whether it might not be a deliberate means of
discouraging spousal attentions?

Irwell wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.

LOL! But (serious question) when you're more or less immersed in such an atmosphere,
don't you become unaware of it, within a very short time?

Keith Anderson Aug 3rd 2002 12:20 am

> do they think is smells natural or even sexy

Well, Napoleon is supposed to have written to Josephine (although this has been
disputed by historians): "Home in three days. Don't wash."

Devil Aug 3rd 2002 3:21 am

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque) wrote:
    >
    > Oopsdaisy2 wrote:
    >
    >>>Subject: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation? From: "Mxsmanic" [email protected]
    >>>Date: 8/2/2002 4:07 AM
    >>
    >>>Nations do not smell; people do.
    >>
    >>Hmmm.....I recently spent some time in Savannah, GA, USA. Much to our amusement,
    >>they have a certain flowering tree that seems to be planted everywhere that smells
    >>like pee ;) It took us a while to figure out the streets were not urine
    >>covered..... Maybe not nations, but certainly cities ;)
    >
    >
    > Jacaranda, I think - purple flowers, right? We have it in Southern California, too
    > (a little less noticeable in lower humidity). First time I encountered it, I was
    > sitting in someone's backyard patio, and kept looking for the unneutered tomcat
    > responsible! <g>

There is a Brazilian tree called jacaranda. Very dark, heavy, top quality
furniture wood.

Mxsmanic Aug 3rd 2002 10:21 am

The French no longer smell, as a general rule, although French people over 50 often
have very casual attitudes towards hygiene and may reek at times. Beginning in the
1960s there was a serious effort to improve public hygiene and it succeeded to a
large extent, such that French people growing up then and later tend to be much
cleaner than their elders. But there is still a significant minority of French people
who maintain poor personal hygiene and smell bad in consequence. Their numbers are
shrinking, fortunately.

Among younger French people, the most common odor is cigarette smoke, followed by
alcohol. Body odor is in a distance third place.

"rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]
    > i'm not a troll i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him
    > why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north africans,arabs
    > etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the smell.where in uk
    > if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say 'what a smelly
    > bstrd. i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just a natural human
    > odour. rday
    >
    >
    >
    > --

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]

> I find that a bit insulting to our warmer climate brethren.

Whether it is seen as insulting or not is irrelevant to me; I was merely making an
observation.

> When I worked in Calcutta, the cleanliness of even the poorest Hindus was
    > remarkable, on the way in to work I would see them washing in the Hoogly river and
    > at broken water pipes.

How clean is the river and the water?

In any case, I'm talking about how people smell in Europe, not elsewhere. And I
believe I mentioned that the ones who appear to smell the worst come from Africa, not
India. Perhaps African standards are different.

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]

> Given the place of women in many of their cultures, I've often wondered whether it
    > might not be a deliberate means of discouraging spousal attentions?

It would be discouraging only to spouses conditioned to dislike it, and/or having
less body odor themselves.

Jesper Lauridse Aug 3rd 2002 11:21 am

>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?

As a group, British people living abroad really stink.

--
Ask me for directions.

Tom Aug 3rd 2002 11:22 am

Some months back I had the misfortune of standing on the CDG airport bus right behind
an extremely smelly woman. Now normally I find the body odour that women give off
rather attractive, this one was just unwashed and so bad I nearly passed out. Lucky I
didn't have to sit next to her on the plane.

Tom

Mxsmanic schrieb:
    >
    > The French no longer smell, as a general rule, although French people over 50 often
    > have very casual attitudes towards hygiene and may reek at times. Beginning in the
    > 1960s there was a serious effort to improve public hygiene and it succeeded to a
    > large extent, such that French people growing up then and later tend to be much
    > cleaner than their elders. But there is still a significant minority of French
    > people who maintain poor personal hygiene and smell bad in consequence. Their
    > numbers are shrinking, fortunately.
    >
    > Among younger French people, the most common odor is cigarette smoke, followed by
    > alcohol. Body odor is in a distance third place.
    >
    > "rday" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]
    > > i'm not a troll i used to go to france to stay with my step brother,i asked him
    > > why do many french people smell of b.o.(i,m not talking about north
    > > africans,arabs etc) he said its just normal,and people dont get offended by the
    > > smell.where in uk if u walk pass a person with b.o. u turn to your friend and say
    > > 'what a smelly bstrd. i just wondered which countries (natives) think it is just
    > > a natural human odour. rday
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >

--
Note: the sender's address which is displayed in the header may be different from the
real address.

To reply, please be sure to mail "tandp at freenet dot de"

rday Aug 3rd 2002 1:49 pm

i am a heating engineer ,i have a shower every morning,spray lynx deodourant,sweat BALDLY ALL DAY,by the time i get home i stink,my wife and kids tell me i stink,usually of normal b.o.,but sometime of a pissy odour (strange).
but i quite like the smell of my own bo(apart from the pissy type)but i suppose its like smelling your own fart,(usually quite a pleasent experience.

rday

Zombywoof Aug 3rd 2002 4:20 pm

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:22:35 -0700, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> let us in on their opinion by saying:

>
    >
    >Irwell wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >
    >> Try being on a troopship going through the Red Sea, circa WW2.
    >
    >LOL! But (serious question) when you're more or less immersed in such an atmosphere,
    >don't you become unaware of it, within a very short time?
    >
Yes, that is true. But if you think about it, or are removed from it for a very short
period of time it comes back rather quickly. I personally can't stand my own stink,
let alone others.
--

Integrity is like virginity. Once you loss it, you are screwed and can never
get it back.

ZombyWoof

newstartnz Aug 3rd 2002 5:23 pm

We can't stand your 'lack of integrity stink' Zomby, you let yourself down when you admitted cheating your company.

Kara Aug 3rd 2002 6:31 pm

Most everybody has heard the Samuel Johnson anecdote:
    >When a lady complained about his bodily odor: "Sir, you SMELL!" Dr. Johnson replied,
    >"No, madam.=A0 YOU smell: I STINK!"

- k -

Ptarmigan Aug 3rd 2002 10:30 pm

I sat next to a chap on a plane once who was from India. A few minutes after take off he removed his shoes, and the stench was unbearable. After suffering politely I decided that I could not stand this for 10 hours, so I asked him to put his shoes back on. He indignantly asked me why.

"Because the smell is making me sick" I replied
"I have never been so insulted in my life" said the chap
"Well in a minute you will be both insulted and I will have vomited on you, so put your shoes on" said I.

Needless to say that the chap replaced the shoes and I was able to enjoy the flight without losing my stomach contents.

Desmond Coughla Aug 4th 2002 1:20 am

Le 2 Aug 2002 02:20:51 GMT, rday <[email protected]> a écrit :

*plonk*

--
Desmond Coughlan |****#1 YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38 Yamaha FJR1300 |BONY#48
ANORAK#11 desmond @ zeouane.org http: // www . zeouane . org

Evelyn Vogt Gam Aug 4th 2002 1:20 am

Mxsmanic wrote:
    >
    >
    > Among younger French people, the most common odor is cigarette smoke, followed by
    > alcohol. Body odor is in a distance third place.

Except insofar as heavy smokers seem to exude the odor even from their pores, which
makes it "body odor" as well!

Evelyn Vogt Gam Aug 4th 2002 1:20 am

Mxsmanic wrote:
    >
    > "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
    > de news: [email protected]
    >
    > > Given the place of women in many of their cultures, I've often wondered whether
    > > it might not be a deliberate means of discouraging spousal attentions?
    >
    > It would be discouraging only to spouses conditioned to dislike it, and/or having
    > less body odor themselves.

Good point!

Mxsmanic Aug 4th 2002 9:20 am

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]

> Except insofar as heavy smokers seem to exude the odor even from their pores, which
    > makes it "body odor" as well!

I'm not convinced of that, although certainly it sticks to their skin, especially on
their hands and around their faces. Of course it is on their breath, and their
clothing is usually soaked with the smell as well.

Overall, very obvious to anyone who is not himself addicted to tobacco. But hardly
anyone is free of this addiction in France. Essentially everyone drinks or smokes,
usually both (sometimes nearly simultaneously).

Sayan Bhattacharyya Aug 7th 2002 5:06 am

Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> When I worked in Calcutta, the cleanliness of even the poorest Hindus was
    >> remarkable, on the way in to work I would see them washing in the Hoogly river and
    >> at broken water pipes.
    >How clean is the river and the water?

Not very. But the people that he saw did not have a better alternative. (They were
not wallowing in less-than-clean water by choice, but using the only possible option
that they had; if they had been unclean by nature, they wouldn't have done so).

Incidentally, I am Indian, born and raised in Calcutta.

-Sayan.

Rc Aug 13th 2002 12:23 pm

> which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?

A friend of mine is currently on holiday in Bosnia, and says that almost everyone
there smells, and infact, there seems to be a... culture, I guess you could say, of
bathing only every two days or so.... bizarre! :-)

David Lewis Aug 13th 2002 6:57 pm

In article <[email protected] >, RC
<[email protected]> writes
    >> which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?
    >A friend of mine is currently on holiday in Bosnia, and says that almost everyone
    >there smells, and infact, there seems to be a... culture, I guess you could say, of
    >bathing only every two days or so.... bizarre! :-)

Everyone smells of something.

From the point of view of someone with asthma, the worst smells of all are perfumed
ones, amd tobacco. I simply cannot stay in the vicinity of people wearing certain
strong deodorants, after shaves, colognes and perfumes, or even hair spray or someone
who is smoking or has recently smoked.

I just have to move away.

Body odour and sweat, fumes of garlic, etc, although unpleasant, do not cause me
breathing difficulties.

Marie
--
David Lewis [email protected]

Devil Aug 14th 2002 3:33 am

David Lewis wrote:
    > In article <[email protected] >, RC
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>>which country has the greatest lack of personal hygeine?
    >>A friend of mine is currently on holiday in Bosnia, and says that almost everyone
    >>there smells, and infact, there seems to be a... culture, I guess you could say, of
    >>bathing only every two days or so.... bizarre! :-)
    > Everyone smells of something.

Talk for yourself :-).

> From the point of view of someone with asthma, the worst smells of all are perfumed
    > ones, amd tobacco. I simply cannot stay in the vicinity of people wearing certain
    > strong deodorants, after shaves, colognes and perfumes, or even hair spray or
    > someone who is smoking or has recently smoked.
    > I just have to move away.

Agreed.

This is particularly offensive since perfume is entirely avoidable and serves no
useful function besides getting people to offload some of their cash.

I move that perfume should be banned from planes.

:-)

dodgycodgy Aug 23rd 2002 1:49 pm

Re: Re: smelliest (body odour) nation?

Gee I just discovered these pages and was having a good old laugh - just what I needed to brighten up my day! :D
I live in Athens Greece and remember the days of travelling 90 minutes on crammed trams during a bus strike in a very hot July, being more-or-less sat on by a really fat woman and the general smell being .... well u can imagine (in the days before a/c trams). Fortunately things have improved!! But I write having read here about the Jacaranda tree smelling like urine. There is a tree here in Greece that has a very potent smell indeed. A strange smell. I had occasion to be visiting a research establishment with a male colleague and there was a strong odour in the air we couldn't quite place. The Professor showing us around took my colleague to one side and explained where the smell was coming from and man-to-man told him what the smell was like. He was too embarrassed to state it in front of me. Anyone who is sexually active with a male will know the smell - exclusively lesbian women won't. Nature has many strange smells for us!

Alethea Aug 23rd 2002 9:42 pm

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 01:30:17 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Jacaranda, I think - purple flowers, right? We have it in Southern California,
    >> too (a little less noticeable in lower humidity). First time I encountered it, I
    >> was sitting in someone's backyard patio, and kept looking for the unneutered
    >> tomcat responsible! <g>
    >There is a Brazilian tree called jacaranda. Very dark, heavy, top quality
    >furniture wood.

The jacaranda I knew in Brazil does not smell bad ! The flowers have a faint odour,
not at all bad.