Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I Go? Switzerland Advice Please!

Should I Go? Switzerland Advice Please!

Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:47 pm
PJW
Just Joined

PJW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I Go? Switzerland Advice Please!

Hi all. I just got offered a job in Switzerland near Geneva and would really appreciate any advice on the following:

- Cost of Living: is it similar or less than London (where i live now w/french wife and 2 kids under 6)? If salary roughly same as London salary what can I expect (housing will not be paid for by company)?

- Housing: more bang for your buck than London? Better to rent or buy? How about living in France, working in Switz?

- Schools: with bi-lingual kids (french/english) will public swiss/french schools be fine or should i really consider private??

- Taxes: what can we expect in Vaud? How does it work if we live in France but I work in Switz?

All input, links and advice helpful. My wife so settled in London now and does NOT want to move again (but i do)... Arguments for and against welcome!

Beers on me in Geneva or London for best advice!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I Go? Switzerland Advice Please!

- Cost of Living: is it similar or less than London (where i live now w/french wife and 2 kids under 6)? If salary roughly same as London salary what can I expect (housing will not be paid for by company)?
I have never been living in London, but 4 Years in Geneva. Hm, I guess cost of living is similar.
(Mc Donald`s : Big Mac-Menue : 11 swiss Franks)

- Housing: more bang for your buck than London? Better to rent or buy? How about living in France, working in Switz?
In Switzerland it is rather normal to rent. 70% of the people rent and only a few buy.

Housing in France is cheaper.
rather difficult to reach Geneva by public transportatin from France.

- Schools: with bi-lingual kids (french/english) will public swiss/french schools be fine or should i really consider private??
public schools in Switzerland are fine. It`s not common to consider private schools in Switzerland, only stupid kids need private schools there.

Of course in Geneva are internatinal schools. A lot of Expats live in Geneva -- people move to Geneva because of the UN-Headquarter, Procter&Gamble, Hewlett P, Catapillar, Capital Internatinal, Dupont, Reuters, ...

- Taxes: what can we expect in Vaud? How does it work if we live in France but I work in Switz?
Taxes in Vaud are less than in GE. Geneva is rather expensive interms of taxes

All input, links and advice helpful. My wife so settled in London now and does NOT want to move again (but i do)... Arguments for and against welcome!
http://switzerland.isyours.com/d/index.html
here are some Infos

GE is nice. Not to big , but everything you need you will find. (Including other english-speaking Expats).
Geographically the city has a top-position. Almost 3 hours by car and you reach the ocean -- south of France.
Internatinal Airport
TGV -- 2,5 hours and you are in Paris
1 hour and you reach the ski resorts in France
in the heart of the city is the lake of Geneva.

I felt very at home in Geneva -- as a student
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:04 pm
Unknown quantity

New in NY will become famous soon enough

Hi, I just moved from Geneva to New York. Geneva is a nice place to live with kids. It's green, clean and safe. You might find it a bit quiet if you like going out to clubs and such, but if you are an outdoor person, it's a great place for skiing, hiking and water sports. I also loved being able to drive to France or Italy in no time.

Apartments for rent are expensive and difficult to find in Geneva, but if you are planning to stay in Vaud or France, it should be easier. You can get some idea of what's available for rent and sale on www.immostreet.ch. I never bought a house in Switzerland but I've been told that you need to put at least 20% of the price down plus the lawyers and other fees are extremely expensive.

One thing that I found expensive in Geneva was eating out. The prices of groceries were not bad.

Good luck!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of

here another link with informations concerning :
-standard of living
-wages
-housing
-etc.
http://www.swissworld.org/eng/swissw...rubricId=11050
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:29 pm
PJW
Just Joined

PJW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick01
here another link with informations concerning :
-standard of living
-wages
-housing
-etc.
http://www.swissworld.org/eng/swissw...rubricId=11050

Hey. Thanks much for the links. Anyone have info on taxes if one lives in France but commutes to work in Switzerland?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PJW
Hey. Thanks much for the links. Anyone have info on taxes if one lives in France but commutes to work in Switzerland?
I`m not sure if this concerns you as a member of the european Union. I found this statement on the official GE site, for swiss people who live in France whilst continuing to work in Geneva. But I think it must be the same for you.

http://www.geneve.ch/bilaterales/pag...ons01-eng.html

Taxes: You will be directly taxed on earnings in Geneva (if you are working in another Canton, contact the inland revenue there).

publicity:
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Another link I just found with general informations:

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissin...414&sid=710796

includes also a helpdesk http://www.swisshelpdesk.org/eng/ind...l?siteSect=100

maybe they can answer your questions. Sorry, I don`t know tax stuff etc.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

gwenwyvar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Should I Go? Switzerland Advice Please!

Hi,
I know how you're feeling. My boyfriend has also been approached about a job in Geneva and we are going through the same questioning time. The replies have been really useful for me so thanks! Do you know any good books with some tips? How are your plans going?
Old May 14th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gwenwyvar
Hi,
I know how you're feeling. My boyfriend has also been approached about a job in Geneva and we are going through the same questioning time. The replies have been really useful for me so thanks! Do you know any good books with some tips? How are your plans going?

Hi there,

I grew up just outside Geneva, in a village called Mies, its the first village in Vaud, next to Versoix (still Geneva). I lived in Geneva as well where I worked and went to university.

If you want my advice, its nicer to live in Geneva or Vaud than in France. They are having lots of problems in the French suburbs now. Also, if you have kids they might want to go to Int'l School at either Founex (Vaud), Geneva (Ecole Int) or Versoix (College du Leman). If you dont need to put them in an English speaking school public school is the go. As someone else mentionned you put your kids in private schools only if they cant follow in public schools.

I really enjoyed living in Mies. I would suggest also looking at Nyon (12 min on direct train which is much faster than commuting in Gva sometimes).

PM me if i can do anything else!!!

fabie
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

TrevorW is an unknown quantity at this point

HI ,

I lived in Rented accommodation in Geneva for 2 years before moving across the border to France to buy. I still pay taxes in Switzerland, but now have more space for my money. The downside is the lack of public transport to work or school (my kids got to the International SChool).

For the price of a 3 bed apartment rental in Geneva I bought a 4 bed house in France on 1/2 acre. 10 mins from the Border.