Reload this Page >

Serbia, any tips?

Serbia, any tips?

Old May 28th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

jonnymontoya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Serbia, any tips?

Hi

Im new to this forum. I have been looking into the possibility of moving out to Serbia and in particular Belgrade. To be honest I've hit a bit of a brick wall and I wondering if anyone has any tips that may help me.

I have looked online to see if I can find any jobs and there doesnt seem to be a lot about. Am I looking in the wrong places?, I am travelling out there again in about a months time, would I be best to look around then?

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jonny
Old May 29th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Serbia, any tips?

I'd expect the BE members from Montenegro and Hungary may be able to help you , with some tips , hints and advice ?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

suras is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Just thought i'd let you know ARE YOU INSANE !!
Why Serbia? Ive lived here for 2 years now and am desperate to get out.
Apart from booze,fags and houses the cost of living here is dearer than the UK.Jobs for foreigners are non existant and even if you do manage to get one wages are very very low.Added to that the government moneygrabs at every oportunity especially if your not Serbian.Sorry to be so negative but with so many nasty and costly experiences since ive been here I cant think of anything positive to say.
Cao
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

MaryC is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but it is not fair. This might be your expirience, but apart from Gypsies (romani gypsies) who beg for money and pickpocket, Belgrade is beautiful, one of the oldest cities in Europe and tons of University educated people as their Universities existed before many in Europe including the UK.

It is not fair really.
As to Gypsies, they are everywhere and if you want nasty criminal activity go to Barcelona or Milan for eg.

Belgrade is still one of the safest big cities in Europe.

So this is my personal expirience, and I just thought to balance it out.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

This is a Royal Wind-Up , surely ?
The Best Thing that ever came from there was
Zana ( as in : "Dodirni mi kolena , to bih bash volela !" )
& that Band , Kikamac & Co . ( made & produced in Stockholm , with great creative & technical help from some Swedes ! ) ,
and : she was an Albanian girl !
- if at all in doubt : check on Wikipedia ;
.....Great Days ....
but : that was almost 30 years' ago ;
and even Zana herself lives in Vancouver B.C. ( Canada ) nowadays ...
and wouldn't visit Serbia ( refused ! ) , even though she got invited , again & again , recently....
As for the other famous Serbs : Ratko Mladitj , Karadzitj , Hadjitj , Sheshelj , Miloshevitj , Koshtunica , Nikolitj , Yugo45 and that sad lot ...we'd better stop , while it's still safe to do so , don't you agree ?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

MaryC is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea which world you live in, I am talking about Belgrade and I have no idea about rest of Serbia. Also, the impressions and judgement depends from the original place you are coming from in the UK and so the comparison.

It also depends what reason you had to be there and what work you did.

You ask any UK or US Embassy employee and they will tell you how they enjoyed it. I know many people from International schools there and their expirience was not the same as yours.

Many people come to the UK and land in certain parts which no person wants to find themselves in. Even parts of London would give many the creeps.

So it is only the individual expirience.

When I went to Greece on holiday for eg, I loved it, when I lived there for a year I hated it.

And people you are mentioning...well...there are many one wouldn't want to mention from many other countries either...UK and the USA included, and of course "friends" in UAE and others.

I really hate imbalanced opinions. Sorry.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaryC
I have no idea which world you live in, I am talking about Belgrade and I have no idea about rest of Serbia. I really hate imbalanced opinions. Sorry.
Perhaps , you might try & get some idea , at least ?
Say : SREBRENICA ?
Or : Shelling of Sarajevo , sniper-murderers , in cold blood , all the rapists ....
Hey , why not : enjoy Belgrade !
( Maybe , just maybe , there could someone there , not quite so murderous and bloodthirsty , as most of them appear to be ? )
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

jonnymontoya is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course everybody there is not as bloodthirsty as you seem to think, just because they live there it doesnt mean they agree with what sometimes happens, which is out of there control. I have friends in Belgrade who will be very quick to tell you this.

I have to agree that to me Belgrade is a very safe city. I have been a few times now and have never had any problems of any kind. It seems a lot safer than where I live in London and also a lot of the other cities I have been to. I also find the people there, and other places in Serbia I have been to, a lot friendlier than here. I appreciate that not everybody there is like this however I am yet to meet anybody that has caused me a problem.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Congratulations , then ; you seem to be doin' real well there !!!
As they say : If the cap fits...etc...
( Just make sure not to stray to nearby places , which those beasts attempted to so-savagely demolish ...like Vukovar , Dubrovnik , Sarajevo ;
oh , and do give our undieing love to Arkan and their other recent "heroes" ! )