British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Scared by Brexit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/scared-brexit-903141/)

sj90 Sep 9th 2017 5:31 pm

Scared by Brexit

Hi all

I lived in Barcelona during 2011, and of course, with limited Spanish at the time and the recession, life was difficult so I returned to the UK to save money, and in the meantime have gained a PGCE in Secondary English and a CELTA. I had always planned to move back to Europe, live and work as an English Teacher in different countries and then eventually permanently reside somewhere I liked.

then June 2016 happened....

I can't leave my current work contract at the school i'm at until Dec 2017, and i don't want to earn a negative rep for breaching contract, but I feel that I have to leave the UK now and work in Europe. I love being a European citizen, having freedom of movement and the right to live and work in over 20 countries, and mixing with lots of languages and cultures...

sadly, SOME of UK do not want that and prefer to build walls than bridges.

I've got a least a year to live and work in europe but i wanted to work for many years to gain residency. Now that's in jeaopardy so, my questions are:

1. Which country, Spain or Italy, should I go for? I'm trying to predicit long term job demand (English teaching) which would mean I could at least work there for 4-5 years

2. if I happened to be working at a school...and 2019 came alone...would I have to be kicked out of the country and forced to return to the UK?

3. Am I scaring myself over nothing? But the more I read forums and think tanks plus my natural disposition to worry...I am really worried, and just disappointed in the UK. I personally prefer a multi-national, multi-cultural environment...and the UK is just too grim (weather, lifestyle) for me to live there forever. that's not the life I want.

Any advice/help is much appreciated ;);)

BritInParis Sep 9th 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Scared by Brexit

Freedom of movement is not necessary for you to live and work in the EU. If it becomes a requirement and your employer is able and willing to sponsor you for the appropriate visa/permit there's nothing to stop you from working in Europe post-Brexit in the same manner as any other non-EU/EEA citizen.

Azarel Sep 9th 2017 7:39 pm

Re: Scared by Brexit

What BIP said. As a qualified native English speaker, it's a little easier for an employer to justify getting you a work visa over local applicants. However, the advantage EU native speakers have had in recent years is that lack of visa requirements has made them easier to employ than other native speaking teachers (ie, from the US, AUS,NZ, CAN, etc.). If freedom of movement disappears post-Brexit, you will still be able to work abroad, but you'll have a bit more competition, and a lot more red tape (work and residence permits/visas).