Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Satelite TV/SKY TV???????(Romania)

Satelite TV/SKY TV???????(Romania)

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Jason35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Satelite TV/SKY TV???????(Romania)

Does anyone know how or if i can have Sky TV in Romania?
I have seen bars etc in Bucharest that have Sky TV from UK,but when i went to a couple of Satelite shops there,and they can not supply me with anything other than Romanian TV.
But surely there must be some way of receiving SKY tv from UK,just i am unaware at moment of how to do this.

Anyone know anything regarding this.

Thx....
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

ianhill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Satelite TV/SKY TV???????(Romania)

This is a question I was going to ask myself (I just arrived in Bucharest two weeks ago). I was previously in Munich, where I had Sky installed.
I think you need a UK subscription to Sky - once you have this, then you just bring the box (with card), buy a big enough dish, and point it in the right direction. Clearly it is possible to get a big enough dish (witness the various pubs in Bucharest with Sky); angling it correctly probably requires some fairly specialized equipment though.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Yes,since me asking this question,i have found a few things out better about this topic.
Yes you are correct,if you have sky viewing card,you just use over there,in the receiver box.
But you need a big enough dish,and because sky use the satelite called 'ASTRA',this is focused only on UK,so we would need a fairly big dish,possible a 2m one.
I popped into satelitte shop in Bucharest,and they said something about 'ASTRA',and i would need a big dish,only problem is for me,my partner has apartment,so this would be very big problem.
Also cost for this kind of dish is something like about £350 -£400.
If you going for this,send me a PM m8,as i have the correct settings for the Sky 'ASTRA' satelite of which is something like 28.2 degrees South facing.
Can give you the site where it tells you exactly the setting for your dish for Sky.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

yodeller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Oh I only wish....

I had some sat TV - until the leaves grew on the trees and hid the satellite. Can't wait till the winter! Trouble is I've a mountain in my back garden so I'm a bit restricted where the dish can go to miss the mountain and the trees.

Anyway, I bought a larger dish from a German company "www.multimedial24.de" a lot cheaper than in the shops - but it still wont overcome the leaves and mountain.

To find the correct angle for the dish:

1. you need your longitude and latitude, I used Google Earth - find your house and there are the co-ordinates to put in the Astra site.

2. go to "http://www.ses-astra.com/landingPage/" you will see a link for setting up the dish in the consumer section, then you can print out the details.

3. buy a compass, then spend every Sunday afternoon trying to get the thing working, a two way radio set-up between dish fiddler and TV watcher is useful. I ended up moving the TV and box to the window, but still no good. The cheap gadgets claiming to find a satellite apparently do find them, according to my son - who fortunately lives further from a mountain - but any satellite, not necessarily the one you want.

If anyone has any other points - that might help me I'd be really pleased. (other than buy a house on the north side of a mountain, not the south.

Tony
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

OradeaExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just moved in to the north of Romania I am having withdrawal symptoms for Sky. Being a total technical incompetent I just want Sky to arrange for an engineer to come out and sort it out!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Get yourself a bloody big dish,get yourself a Receiver,and make sure you get a Sky viewing card.Bear in mind the viewing card will not goto Romania,you have to have it delivered to a UK address,or you could goto website below who can give you Sky tv,through them.I found them to be very good.
Hope it helps.

http://www.satone.tv/aboutus.htm
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

ColinS is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Satelite TV/SKY TV???????(Romania)

There are so many good things about Romania to explore, see and do.

Start by meeting some locals. You will be surprised how warm they are.

And such gorgeous girls !

Watching TV is a waste of time in such a beautiful country as Romania
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:14 am
Just Joined

thrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nice

Originally Posted by ColinS
There are so many good things about Romania to explore, see and do.

Start by meeting some locals. You will be surprised how warm they are.

And such gorgeous girls !

Watching TV is a waste of time in such a beautiful country as Romania
I must admit i dont miss the TV much collins right i tend to catch up on news and stuff on the internet,romanian sat tv shows a lot of english/american films..but i must admit i do miss the comedy..and a lot of brits coming out of the wood work on the forum i mean ones in romania that is..nice to see others have made the leap..so greetings from me in borlova..also one other brit living here called kev. i have a satalite dish with 2 recivers on it if i can get saudi arabia tv i am sure i must be able to get uk tv i will have to have a play with the two way radio idea LOL