Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road to a Grecian turn?

Road to a Grecian turn?

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:34 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road to a Grecian turn?

Do you think any of the reforms are incredible? That's not intended to be argumentative, by the way.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well IVV, Germany and France and, I believe, Spain have failed to open their pharmacies to competition, and the last I heard Italy was being taken to court again over its restriction on pharmacies. Sunday trading is also a distant pipe dream Germany, and Spain, and Hollande has just backed away from opening a tiny bit of Sunday trading. French "agriculteur" farming status is one of the ways the establishment avoid tax. It always used to surprise me how many senior civil servants (and company directors) retire to their farms!
So it seems a bit rich to me that Hollande and Merkel are insisting that Greece should introduce reforms that they are unable or unwilling to achieve themselves.

Personally I think most of the reforms are "incredible" in that they will do little or nothing to address the underlying problem, which is the enormous overvaluation of the Euro for the Southern European states. And as long as Germany refuses to reform its frankly piratical mercantilism there is little hope for any of them. Whilst Germany may not be the villain (and I am undecided on Germanys intentions) it is certainly the problem.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this post.
Greece and Europe: Is Europe holding up its end of the bargain? | Brookings Institution
All along it has been the EU's pigheaded intransigence which has escalated Greece from difficulty through disaster to catastrophe.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Do you think any of the reforms are incredible?
I don't know whether it's still being pushed for but the institutions were demanding that shipping income be taxed by the government.

That's tax on income in addition to the tonnage tax already levied by the Greek government. Tonnage tax is industry standard ie Greek shipping is currently taxed on no different a basis to eg German shipping. But taxing the income as well could very well push this business towards competitor countries - coincidentally at a time when the Germans are looking to increase their presence in the field.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:11 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting reports in the Portuguese media that the next set of Eurozone leaders discussions on Greece will be delayed until after the round of National elections in Portugal in October.
Portugal is not the only Eurozone country going to the polls this year with changes in governments and coalitions expected as anti austerity parties increase their influence.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:13 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
The "credible reforms" comment wasn't specifically directed at you Vino. It was the fact that Varoufakis voted for the measures proposed last night which I was highlighting. And, as an aside, that contrary to what has been said many times on this thread and all over the world, the Greek government (and Varoufakis in particular) have come up with "credible" reforms, some of which are now being enacted.
varoufakis and credible in the same sentence are very hard to swallow Eric
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:01 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Interesting reports in the Portuguese media that the next set of Eurozone leaders discussions on Greece will be delayed until after the round of National elections in Portugal in October.
Portugal is not the only Eurozone country going to the polls this year with changes in governments and coalitions expected as anti austerity parties increase their influence.
Yes that little episode was interesting EMR. The Portuguese PM came back from the summit claiming (to some incredulity from the opposition parties) to have been personally responsible for breaking the deadlock on the discussions. A day or two later, Juncker contradicted him, saying that the Portuguese, Spanish and Irish representatives had all campaigned vigorously to ensure that debt relief was not to be discussed until after the elections in all 3 countries. When confronted with this version of events, the PM looked decidedly uncomfortable and gave another retelling - essentially labelling Juncker a liar - saying it was nothing to do with the elections but all to do with Greece having to successfully complete the first assessment before debt restructuring could be discussed.

Just a coincidence and a little misunderstanding, then. But it would have been a little inconvenient for the current coalition (who keep claiming the Portuguese debt is sustainable and are determined to prove it at all costs) if Greece had been granted some relief before the elections.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:18 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting story here:-

Greek PM Tsipras Under Pressure Over Covert Syriza Drachma Plan Reports

Not sure if it will be confirmed.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:11 am
Hostage Negotiator

The story appears to have been confirmed:-

Varoufakis defends his ‘plan B’ for Greece euro exit

There are calls now to put Varoufakis on trial for treason.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:45 am
Polished expat

A rather fuller (and better) version of events here, methinks
Varoufakis reveals cloak and dagger 'Plan B' for Greece, awaits treason charges - Telegraph
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:13 am
Hostage Negotiator

I'm sure but I've used up my free articles
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Varoufakis reveals cloak and dagger 'Plan B' for Greece, awaits treason charges - Telegraph
Seems like the right thing to do. May still be needed this year, but definitely next year.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:46 am
Polished expat

May be worth a try googling the headline and then accessing the article from the results
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Not that I would suggest anything shady to a moderator, but I wonder if using one if the incognito thingys would enable one (theoretically of course) to avoid the pay wall?

If not here are a couple of free articles

"a" and "the"
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:20 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

While reading this, I found myself thinking, "Varoufakis perhaps isn't as stupid as he's been characterised".

Obviously, this isn't a good example of the kind of leadership you'd want in functioning democracy, but it is the kind you'd want leading a rebellion against an oppressor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.